Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot full review of SoU up

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide

There's a <A href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinternightssou/review.html">review</a> of <a href="Http://nwn.bioware.com/shadows">Shadows of Undrentide</a> over on <a href="http://www.gamespot.com">GameSpot</a> where it nets a <b>7.8</b>. Here's a bit of the fun:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Shadows of Undrentide isn't a conventional expansion pack, because it's not a continuation of the previous game. Essentially it's a brand-new campaign using the same engine, so although you're required to install it on top of Neverwinter Nights, the stories of the games are completely separate. Undrentide's campaign is shorter than that of Neverwinter Nights, but that doesn't mean it's short--it will probably last you 25 to 30 hours, and there's some good replay value to boot. The expansion retains the same excellent mechanics of Neverwinter Nights, so you can easily control your character and access a variety of useful in-game information using the mouse and a few keystrokes. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
The same <i>shallow</i> mechanics, you mean? Great! Sign me up!
<br>
<br>
Oh yeah, <b>25 to 30 hours</b>? That's <i>it?</i> Sheesh.
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>Spazmo</b>, <b>Ibbz</b>, <b>Sabotai</b>, and the rest for pointing this one out to me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
7.8? Hopefully GameSpot set up a good example for other sites to follow, it's just about time that somebody put the overhyped beast out of its misery. Here are my favourite snippets:

there are countless free fan-made NWN modules available for download, but as you'd expect, their quality and size can vary wildly
Good point, considering that this is a popular argument among NWN defenders

While SoU doesn't fix the shortcomings of Aurora engine which isn't aging as well as BioWare's Infinity engine
Boom, boom *imitates bombs' explosions :lol: Two in a one sentence! Shortcomings of the aged engine. It does not sound good, now does it?

The plot of the game isn't remarkable
No shit!

battles in Undrentide are easy to manage and aren't nearly as tactical as those found in Infinity-engine games like Baldur's Gate II or Icewind Dale II
Not nearly as tactical as those in IWD2? I have a feeling that while GSpot did not attack SoU openly, they did a very good job of filling spaces between the lines. :lol: Every time they said it's good, they immediately added "but..."

the level of detail seen in the characters, creatures, and environments leaves something to be desired when you zoom in for a closer look

SoU recycles much of NWN' audio... The new music is mostly very good, though some of it seems overly dramatic.

Ultimately, Shadows of Undrentide isn't the most epic or memorable RPG with BioWare's name on it, but it has plenty of good, new content to satisfy most any Neverwinter Nights fan.
Translation: It sucks, but there are a lot of nuts out there who will buy it anyway. :lol:

Astromarine

Erudite
LOL yeah, I kinda got the same vibe from it. Compare it to the Bloodmoon review, which link I include in my post in GenRPGDisc. They looked a lot happier with it. Jesus, they looked about 4 times as entusiastic talking about RPGs for the GBA!

Sabotai

Liturgist
And this is the same reviewer who gave NWN a 9.2 and RPG of the year award. Well, he's probably had fun in the multiplayer department.

So Saint_P, did BIOware send you a review copy?

Reading this thread on the BIO boards regarding the GameSpot review, it makes me sad that sales of SoU will probably be good.

BIOware fanboy said:
I think he gave NWN a 7.8 because he was generally disappointed in the expansion. I think he expected more after almost a year of further development. I do not blame him. However, I will be surely picking up the expansion even though I uninstalled NWN in disgust a week after I bought it. Don't ask why - I guess my addiction to the BG series is fueling my stubborness.
How does BIOware do it? This guy uninstalled NWN in disgust and he will surely buy SoU.
*shakes head in disbelief*

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
7.8? Not bad. It's higher than what I rated the OC.

Flarnet

Liturgist
you can easily control your character and access a variety of useful in-game information using the mouse and a few keystrokes.

Stop the presses! Revolutionary game mechanics!

Vault Dweller

Developer
I visited NWN boards following Sabotai's example. It's a wild place, reminds me of Matrix, and I think we have a person who is about to be rejected by the system :D

Bernhardo said:
GameSpot review: "There's a lot of dialogue to read through, but it's good enough if you're interested, and it can be skimmed through easily if you'd rather just hack and slash your way to the end."

Now, this is the part that really bothers me. How can you truly call it a CRPG when the dialogue can be skipped through? Doesn't dialogue in SoU have real consequences? I'm not talking about the good/ neutral/evil response options to solve a side quest: like the silly example I read about in previews, to have the option "spit on Elven statue" and get cursed. I want dialogue that actually has impact on the story. This is the thing I found lacking most in the OC. You had almost zero impact on the way the story unfolded. What I read about SoU, it seems this problem hasn't been remedied.
Somebody better start the Nebuchadnezzar :lol:

Psilon

Erudite
Greg Kasavin said:
But no one could have expected the Infinity engine to be around for five years, so who's to say?
No one expected Interplay to be so desperate for SLAM DUNK titles either. One Icewind Dale was enough. Given that BioWare and Interplay don't exactly get along any more, I doubt we'll be seeing "Icewind Dale 3: A Neverwinter Nights Engine Adventure."

Also, I think BioWare's quite aware of the lackluster graphics. If they do NWN2 using the Aurora engine, I think they'll redo all the models. There's no way they'll avoid graphics criticisms if they don't.

Spazmo

Erudite
I thought the original was pretty ugly, too. The textures were okay, but the poly count was way too low. All the area looked too square--a natural consequence of a tile-based system, I guess, though I didn't notice this in FO or Arcanum--and all the models for creatures were pretty blocky and not altogether pretty. Only the spell effects were nice.

triCritical

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Somebody better start the Nebuchadnezzar :lol:

I never understood why the named the ship this. It makes you wonder if the matrix represents isreal and the jewish control of our society. And the Nebuchadnezzar, the ancient king that conquered the jewish palestine, is humanities salvation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. From everything I've heard; the SOU OC is superior to NWN OC in everything except lenegth.

Some basic example: No more lewt just lying around the street, and henchmen have improved AI & interact more freely instead of just at level up which was lame.

Anyways, I'll find out tomorrow one way or the other.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I am not as knowledgeable in history as some other folks here, but I think that Nebuchadnezzar was more known for acquiring Siria and Palestine, restoring and rebuilding the Babylonian empire, and of course, the Hanging Gardens which as we all know make 3 content citizens happy in the city where it's built :D

The Bible and Daniel of course go on and on about him as a central figure in Jerusalem's destruction, but from Babylon's point of view it was a less important event as a part of "dealing with the Egyptians" campaign. The siege of Jerusalem lasted only 2 years whereas the siege of Tyre lasted 12.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Seriously, I must be in the wrong thread or something. :D Hmmm.. :?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Seriously, I must be in the wrong thread or something. :D Hmmm.. :?
triCritical started it :lol: Anyway, back to the topic, SoU sucks! Who would have thought? :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Everyone blames Tri. And, youa re right. SOU sucks 'cause I don't have it yet.

Astromarine

Erudite
From what I have read, the point of the Nebuchazzzztuwztrt was that he was a King who was, in the Bibble, tormented by dreams from God. That is the symbolic connection of the name. I think all the other named ships also have connections with dreams. It's supposed to be a hint of the virtualness of Zion.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
SOU sucks 'cause I don't have it yet.
Must be nice being so optimistic. Or being so easily amused :wink: whereas the rest of us have to look for games with an actual storyline, dialogues, choices, etc for a decent entertainment. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Has nothing to do with optimism. It has to do with enjoying the original NWN despite its faults enough to look forward to the expansion. For all I know, SOU may very well suck.

Aye, I am easily amused until games like MW puts me to sleep.

I'll stick with the BGs, FOs, and NWNs of the world.

Despite my liking of NWN; I am a very picky gamer for the most part. Still... I apoligize if 7/5 is too high of a rating for a game.

However, to each their own. No one lieks every ame. No matter how good, or bad it may be.

Vault Dweller

Developer
To each their own, then. As I am not on a quest to convince everybody that NWN sucks, I won't ask you why a "picky gamer" likes NWN so much and file this subject under "Mystary" :) Enjoy your game and let us know your opinion.

huh

Novice
not only did GameSpot rate the original NWN at 9.2, but they called it the RPG of the year. basically, according to my mathematics if the original is over rated by 8 points too many, the SoU's score in real-world terms is -.5 which is rather dissapointing. not that I go by their reviews when buying my games to begin with.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Heh, no prob Vault. I ahve my reasons which I have stated various times; but I don't expect people to 'get it"; just like I don't get people like certain games either.

As for SOU; I hope I enjoy it; but ya never know. Maybe, I'll starting bashing BIo too. :D

Ibbz

Augur
not only did GameSpot rate the original NWN at 9.2, but they called it the RPG of the year. basically, according to my mathematics if the original is over rated by 8 points too many, the SoU's score in real-world terms is -.5 which is rather dissapointing. not that I go by their reviews when buying my games to begin with.

Or perhaps the reviewer was looking forward to another hack n slash and was disappointed he got a role playing game?

Sabotai

Liturgist
GameSpy also has a SoU review. According to the reviewer, SoU encompasses around 20 hours of gameplay, so total gameplay hours are getting less and less. SoU only gets criticised for the graphics and lack of a tank henchman. Overall the reviewer is pretty positive, but that shouldn't be a big surprise, since it's the same reviewer that ranked NWN OC among the best PC RPGs of all time.

Isn't criticising NWN by GameSpy something like cutting of the hand that feeds you? It's my impression that GameSpy is dependent upon companies like BioWare for advertising income and people playing NWN through their GameSpy network? Conflict of interest? Hell yes. And, no I don't believe in Chinese Walls in any company.

Spazmo

Erudite
Ibbz said:
Or perhaps the reviewer was looking forward to another hack n slash and was disappointed he got a role playing game?

Hope springs eternal, eh Ibbz?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom