Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Two Worlds dies in a horrible accident

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Two Worlds

We regret to inform you that <a href=http://www.2-worlds.com/>Two Worlds</a>, a legendary <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11484>role-playing (don't confuse with role-speaking games)</a> fantasy game featuring kung-fu fighting and all kinda promises, will no longer be covered here due to <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/760/760906p1.html>going MMO</a> a few months before the release date.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"Reality Pump was in the fortunate position of being both ahead of schedule and given some extra development time, so they could truly bring out the full potential of Two Worlds," said Katie Morgan, Executive Vice President of SouthPeak Games. "In our opinion, the best things in life are those that are shared with friends, and the more friends the better!"</blockquote>Using someone else's words: This'll <i>have</i> to be good.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Greatatlantic.
<br>
<br>

The_Volourn

Novice
Rpgcodex is a buch o' hypocrist. Why do you cover MMORPGs on a RPG website? Game over man, GAME OVER.

R00fles!

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Who the hell decides to convert a game into an mmo a few months before a release?

"Yo guys, I was just playing this game called World of Warcraft and I was thinking that wouldn't it be awesome if our's was like that too?"

"OMG OMG"

"YESYESYESYES!"

"2 GD 2 B TRU!111"

caliban

Scholar
That's what happens when a dev team doesn't have a coherent idea for a game.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
The_Volourn said:
Rpgcodex is a buch o' hypocrist. Why do you cover MMORPGs on a RPG website? Game over man, GAME OVER.

R00fles!

Because if we didn't mention this, people who either weren't sure of Codex policies or relied on it for news (they must exist somewhere) would be looking and going "hay, why'd the Codex newsposts about Two Worlds die off suddenly just before release?"

Seboss

Liturgist
Now that's beyond stupid
I read a preview just today in a paper mag saying that the game was shiny and all but seriously lacked content (no kidding). The author was hoping that the two months remaining in the development schedule would be enough to fill the gaps. And now this.

I don't give that game 2 months before it's cancelled for the PC, pure and simple.

obediah

Erudite
This one is even less convincing than the mass effect interview. Next, you should post that Half Life Episode II is being built with the Unlimited Adventures enine!

Solohk

Scholar
Before I saw that you linked to IGN, I thought it was another satire piece.

Nope. They're actually fucking doing it.

Hazelnut

Erudite
It's pretty astounding that anyone actually could come up with something that stupid. :shock:

Fez

Erudite
I wouldn't have thought it was feasible to suddenly change the nature of a game so close to release. Surely this must have been in the making for a long while now and was just uncovered? Are they really this stupid?

psycojester

Arbiter
In that case it seems like a great decision then. In a MMORPG you can get away with not having any content

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Fez said:
I wouldn't have thought it was feasible to suddenly change the nature of a game so close to release. Surely this must have been in the making for a long while now and was just uncovered? Are they really this stupid?

Either scenario is extremely stupid for them. Either they changed plans awhile back and only started to hype the change 2 months before release or they honestly think they can turn a single player RPG into a MMORPG in 2 months.

I'm still voting for them being stupid but maybe they're in some financial troubles and think this is a valid way to squeeze some extra money out?

Fez

Erudite
Either way it really is bizarre. I can't see much hope of them getting anything decent out of it now, even as a salvage operation.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
hmm...

TWO WORLDS ONLINE TO BE MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER

Thousands Can Explore and Adventure Together Online In SouthPeak Game’s Upcoming Open-Ended Role-Playing Title

GRAPEVINE, TX – February 2, 2007 – SouthPeak. Games, a leading independent videogame publisher, is thrilled to announce that Two Worlds, its massive, open-ended role-playing game to be released this spring for the PC and Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, is having its online component greatly expanded. Whereas formerly Two Worlds was to allow up to eight players to adventure together online, the game will now support thousands of players online at one time.

Karlsruhe, 2nd February 2007 – the good things in life are best shared with friends! The “Two Worlds” developers have also taken this to heart - and added a fantastically varied MMORPG mode to their new game! Players can now oppose one another or join forces in Antaloor as Arena or RPG characters!

Looks like the are not turning entire game to MMO, but adding a MMo-like multiplayer to existing single player mode. :roll: Still very stupid thought.

Fez

Erudite
Ah. Maybe what is planned is a single-player game with a Guildwars element tacked on then? that seems like less of a disaster, but surely they'd be better concentrating on polishing the core game than slipping into feature creep when it is so close to release? Adding features so late nearly always means more bugs and problems.

obediah

Erudite
OccupatedVoid said:
Code:
// #define SINGLE_PLAYER
#define MMO
See? They had that idea from the start.

That reminds me of this gem from thedailywtf.com - from the gaming industry even.

Code:
 // MUST be set to 1!
 Params->ParentalLevel = 3;  // QA now insist this is set to 2.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
obediah said:
That reminds me of this gem from thedailywtf.com - from the gaming industry even.

Code:
 // MUST be set to 1!
 Params->ParentalLevel = 3;  // QA now insist this is set to 2.
That's pretty funny...

1 + 2 = 3

:lol:

MisterStone

Arcane
Heres the truly sad/scary thing about this:

They decided to go MMO a few months before release. That means that this single player RPG all along was lame and retarded enough to be a MMO, and that all they had to do was add some networking code to it to make it into one.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MisterStone said:
That means that this single player RPG all along was lame and retarded enough to be a MMO....
Is anyone really surprised?

Fez

Erudite
More disappointed, I'd say. It's never good to see it go from bad to worse and this seems retarded.

I also find it amazing that a developer could ever be ahead of schedule and by so much. Normally they are always shoving it out the door before it is ready and patching it right afterwards to finish it off due to publisher pressure and the developers trying to cram in as much as they can.

Wick

Novice
It is kind of brilliant not from a gameplay standpoint but from a marketing standpoint. For the Xbox360 you figure not many would be interested since it looks like an Oblivion clone, but make it an MMO and its only competition is FF11.

Not to say it won't be horriblly integrated, and fail miserably but it should sell a few more copies and that is all that matters in the end Right? Right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom