Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Two Worlds dies in a horrible accident

sabishii

Arbiter
Wick said:
It is kind of brilliant not from a gameplay standpoint but from a marketing standpoint. For the Xbox360 you figure not many would be interested since it looks like an Oblivion clone, but make it an MMO and its only competition is FF11.

Not to say it won't be horriblly integrated, and fail miserably but it should sell a few more copies and that is all that matters in the end Right? Right?
Well... if it's going to be subscription based, then they wouldn't make much money from that if the game sucks.

Age of Conan is also coming out for the X360, and it's on a lot of top anticipated lists.

Globbi

Augur
I really thought this was a joke so i checked the offiial website at once. I hoped that the game would be quite good because it could be one of few based only on combat but with combat nicely made at least. I also wanted the game to be good because I would like the polish game creators to develop. Now I can't believe it, not really that after they noticed how sucky is their game the decided to make it MMO, but how pathetic they are. Look at those:

"The game character develops in a completely free manner (no level limits) and can collect equipment and experience points too."

"You can also join Clans or found new ones"

"Character creation is based on various races and classes (...)"

OMG OMG! SO innovate, such cool ideas, i can't wait to see them all. Is it rily possible to do such a game?!

caliban

Scholar
OMG OMG! SO innovate, such cool ideas, i can't wait to see them all. Is it rily possible to do such a game?!

Selbstverstandlich. Topware still has some halfway decent 3D artistst, but they have no designers worth a damn. Basically, from the very beginning they didn't have a clue as to how the game should look in the end, so all they had were various bits and pieces that were loosely connected. Thus, it makes no damn difference whatsoever if the game will be SP or MMO, because it's gonna suck because of the design. Or lack thereof.

I mean, damn, Dymek is making most design decisions and "supervising the project" and the guy's been known as an incompetent moron since the good ol' times of E2140.

Durwyn

Prophet
THIS IS NOT AN MMORPG GAME! They just overhyped their multiplayer mode and named it this way.
The good things in life are best shared with friends! The "Two Worlds" developers have also taken this to heart - and added a fantastically varied MMORPG mode to their new game! Players can now oppose one another or join forces in Antaloor as Arena or RPG characters!
Game still remains a cRPG no MMORPG. Dumbfucks from IGN misunderstood Reality Pump statement.

Edit:
But before you start clashing flagons of mead together in celebration, here's why you should be excited. Two Worlds is a free-roaming RPG that centres around an epic battle between age-old foes, the orcs and humans. And like any role-player worth its salt, you're thrown into the deep end and are free to carve your own story in the game's refreshingly open world.

One of the most interesting aspects of the game is that, unlike Oblvion, it also features a masssively multiplayer online mode. It also features unique quests, an arena for one-on-one battles, multiplayer horse races and completely customisable player characters with no level capping. Exciting stuff, eh?

caliban

Scholar
Of course it's not a full-fledged MMO!

But that doesn't change the fact that they don't really know what they're doing - rebuilding the entire idea of the game's multiplayer mode shortly before its scheduled release clearly proves that.

Durwyn

Prophet
I hope only TwoWorlds MP will hurt. I think SP is finished, so i don't care about MP. They can fuck up MP as they want.

caliban

Scholar
I doubt either mode will be really worth playing. As I said before, Topware/Pump lacks good design people, and as far as I know, Dymek might change his idea about what the game is and/or should be several times before it is finally done.

The problem isn't even with the multiplayer mode being "massive" or not, it's just that the game suffers from the "let's just make some stuff/graphics/code/whateva, put it together and try to make it look like a game" attitude. Any game made that way (without having, from the start, a coherent idea of what it should be), is bound to suck. Massively.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Wow! I just read this on rpgwatch too, then came here to see if it had been picked up yet.

Looks like selling the game one off for $40-60 a pop just wasn't going to do it for them. I'd been expecting this ever since they started hyping multiplayer and heavy handed hinting as subscription.

On the upside, it didn't seem like it was going to be all that great of RPG any ways.

Gwendo

Augur
They just want to enter the wagon of the MMRPG's, aka monymaking-machines-soon-to-be-extinct.

Surgey

Scholar
Solohk said:
Before I saw that you linked to IGN, I thought it was another satire piece.

Nope. They're actually fucking doing it.

Ditto.

I guess that one about Mass Effect was just trying to keep us on our toes, and this comes along and owns our retard-detection.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
@Vince D. Weller -> Did you ignore the old threat or what

Greatatlantic wrote:
Not that anyone here was really looking forward to this one, now they have real reasons not to look forward to it.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/760/760906p1.html

Don't believe everything you read on IGN.
Facts are different

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/spiele/r ... orlds.html

TRANSLATION FOR THE READING IMPARED
Quote:
Two Worlds is not only interesting for single players. According to a current announcement the developers of Reality pump also include a Multiplayer mode in the game, which reminds a little of on-line role playing games such as Guild Wars. In Two Worlds there are fast Player vs Player fights in arenas. However the players don't level up in this mode, so that more player action skills than statistics decide who wins. Reality pump also has planned Cooperative play with leveling up. Groups meet in cities, which are some kind of a graphic Multiplayer lobby. Teams up to eight players start instanced adventures from there. The charakter develops freely there, without level delimitation and he can collect equipment as well as experience points. Not only classical adventures are on the agenda, but also challenges such as horse races. The characters remain stored on the server and may be developed further from adventure to adventure. One earns in game money by offering special articles in the cities for sale. For groups Two Worlds also offers clan and/or tribe administration. In order to remain an unmistakable character in these large cities, Reality pump develops a Character presentation tool. From eye color and the width of the thorax up to length of arms and legs everyone can cobble together its completely private hero with this tool.

and

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/spiele/r ... orlds.html

TRANSLATION
Quote:
Interesting marketing idea: According to press reports the German game manufacturer Zuxxez will sell its role playing game Two Worlds in three different versions: Normal Version, which contains only the solo play. Costs: approx.. 25 euro. Extended version with solo and Multiplayer for approx.. 40 euro and also the Special edition, which contains the soundtrack of the game mong other things, for approx.. 50 euro

Final verdict:
Normal game: Solo CRPG that costs less / Extended Game: Solo + MMOG similar to GUILD WARS that costs more

Fez

Erudite
It still doesn't bode well for the single player aspect to see their attention divided at this late a stage.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
At some stage, devs should have a coherent and finished vision of what kind of game they want to make.l

Changing it heavily/not having one 2 months from release = game will suck. Period.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
At some stage, devs should have a coherent and finished vision of what kind of game they want to make.l

Changing it heavily/not having one 2 months from release = game will suck. Period.

Usually you have a plan what you want your game to be when you begin developing it.
You make a talk between your fellow developer colleauges and say "Let's make an RPG!" or "Let's make an MMORPG!" or "Let's make an FPS!" and "I already got some kind of a concept!", and not "You know, we should begin programming some kind of game. First we make the graphics and game mechanics and story ,and then we can choose which genre it is going to be!"

Maybe the next interview will reveal that they plan to include RTS elements into the game.
"You can buy your own castle and army and command them and conquer teh world!"

Fez

Erudite
It's the game for everybody! It spans all genres.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yep, to go from SP plus an 8 player MP mode to a MMO 1000s of player mode is going to take some DRASTIC changes in content to accomodate 1000s of players, where presumably, 10s or 100s can all be in the same area at once...

SP or 8 player MP just isn't going to balance to those levels without some major changes, especially since it also sounds like it will/should be "persistent world" based.

I'm also betting that there's going to be some schedule slippage here, unless the MMO aspect is really shitty when released.

Also some updates on rpgwatch point out that there is no mention of the crapbox 360 version having the MMO client capability... I'd think that, that is unlikely to stand, but...

caliban

Scholar
"You know, we should begin programming some kind of game. First we make the graphics and game mechanics and story ,and then we can choose which genre it is going to be!"

Unfortunately, as far as I know, that's almost exactly how this particular game is being "produced".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cutterjohn said:
Also some updates on rpgwatch point out that there is no mention of the crapbox 360 version having the MMO client capability... I'd think that, that is unlikely to stand, but...

sounds quite good... at least one game that gets developed mainly for PC [at least the MMO part] and then ported to console instead of the other way round.

But seeing how indecisive the developers are, I don't know if that sign is good or bad.

caliban

Scholar
sounds quite good... at least one game that gets developed mainly for PC [at least the MMO part] and then ported to console instead of the other way round.

Eh? What's so "good" about it? Even if a game is ported from PC to a console, and not the other way 'round, it still is usually dumbed down to conform to console standards from the beginning.

And not that it makes any difference to this game, anyway, considering the aforementioned lack of idea for it.

Xi

Arcane
Looks like another fundamentally challenged piece of shit. Didn't they play "Fable"? You cannot do everything, you have to focus! Mother fuckers...

It seems like most "Game Designers" fail to be more then "Game Designers" on paper. Seriously, what the fuck is going on anymore?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom