Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Jade Empire tit for tat at Shack News

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Jade Empire

<a href="http://www.shacknews.com/">Shack News</a> has a <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/020907_jadeempire_pcqa_1.x">three page interview</a> about the PC release of <a href="http://jade.bioware.com/">Jade Empire</a>. There's some odd questions stemming from the XBox version like questions about the XBox controller, but they eventually steered it towards the PC version. Here's where some of it steered:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Shack: Switching between my combos on the Xbox controller tended to be trying at times, since there are, of course, only so many ways you can map control schemes on a peripheral with 8-10 buttons. How does game play control via the PC work? Tell us about the controls, what does what (i.e., what is the default method to switch between combos, etc), and the like.
<br>
<br>
Diarmid Clarke:</b> Right from the beginning of development we set the goal that the Mouse/Keyboard controls had to be not only an acceptable alternative to controllers but actually better. We really think we surpassed that goal, and you hit the nail on the head when you mention a controller's flexibility: the keyboard and mouse allow a much more fluid experience. For example, I just map all my fighting styles to the number keys, and that way I can easily switch styles on the fly, as opposed to only the 4 that were possible using the original Xbox directional pad.</blockquote>
<br>
Wonder if we get to go through the, <i>Hey, how come it takes me 15 steps to get something out of my inventory when most PC games only take two or three?</i> deal like we did with <a href="http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/">Knights of the Old Republic</a>? Changing the interface so the keyboard is just like an XBox controller with 90 extra action buttons isn't really doing much.
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Jade Empire doesn't really have an inventory to begin with outside of gems for the amulet so no worries there.

And, oh, hi.

P.S. Kinda amusing that your first news post here in awhile is BIO related... :lol:

Texas Red

Whiner
Hmmm, I think I might even pick this up. I hope that they really increased the difficulty level, as nearly all Biowhore's games are ruined with their retard friendliness.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:

No what? They claim that they inscreased the difficulty. And I dont know about you, but for me the lack of challenge in Bioware's games really breaks them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
BG2/1 aren't really easy games, you know. And if you feel that way, you can always crank up the difficulty. Same for NWN1/expansions.

KOTOR, now, that WAS far too easy. I breezed through it in less than 20 hours and I double checked every place so I don't miss anything. And the funny detail of that: I was never using lightsabers, just dual pistols!

bat_boro

Arcane
Jasede said:
KOTOR, now, that WAS far too easy. I breezed through it in less than 20 hours and I double checked every place so I don't miss anything. And the funny detail of that: I was never using lightsabers, just dual pistols!

rolf
but KOTOR was nothing in comparison to that "walk in the park" "mouse click fest" called KOTOR 2, so I think we all should be grateful :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I breezed through it in less than 20 hours"

KOTOR was super, super easy. No doubt about it. But, I doubt you went through it in 20 hours and went everywhere and did everything.

TWD: You should simply stop the bullshit. I presume you beat every BIO game withy no detahs, and no reloads? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Most games are easier so it's rather hard to find *any* game is more challenging than BIO games (KOTOR being an exception).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay, 22 hours. I checked with three walkthroughs and one faq after it to see how much I missed. Nothing! Except for some light-side/dark-side options which didn't matter to me since I was playing grey-side. Fuck dualism.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You lie. It's a sad day when Jasede needs to lie to try to increase his e-penis. :cry:

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn, please do not be anger at us since everyone except you found Biowhore's games challenging.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Give me some credit; I worked all day in the coal-mines with no coffee; my eyes are falling shut, my belly is empty and I have ten kids to feed. Why don't you provide some amusement instead?

elander_

Arbiter
Diarmid Clarke:</b> Right from the beginning of development we set the goal that the Mouse/Keyboard controls had to be not only an acceptable alternative to controllers but actually better. We really think we surpassed that goal, and you hit the nail on the head when you mention a controller's flexibility: the keyboard and mouse allow a much more fluid experience. For example, I just map all my fighting styles to the number keys, and that way I can easily switch styles on the fly, as opposed to only the 4 that were possible using the original Xbox directional pad.</blockquote>
Wonder if we get to go through the, <i>Hey, how come it takes me 15 steps to get something out of my inventory when most PC games only take two or three?</i> deal like we did with <a href="http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/">Knights of the Old Republic</a>? Changing the interface so the keyboard is just like an XBox controller with 90 extra action buttons isn't really doing much.

I'm starting to like the idea of releasing the game for the XBox first and later to the PC. It get's them time to polish / finish the game and add some decent PC controls to it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volourn, please do not be anger at us since everyone except you found Biowhore's games challenging."

I simply don't believe espicially since I know the kind of games you *do* find challenging ie. finding a date.

R00fles!

P.S. I never said BIO games are hard; but they sure (outside of KOTOR) ar emore challenging than the majority of games espicially the ones you think are challenging.

L0LLERGAG!

Greenskin13

Erudite
Aaah, I missed seeing "tit for tat" on every other news post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom