Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Arcanum nostalgia at GamersInfo

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Troika Games

<a href=http://www.gamersinfo.net>Gamers Info</a> got tired of playing all that next-generation crap that occupies the shelves these days and decided to play a decent game for a change. They picked Troika's Arcanum and shared their <a href=http://www.gamersinfo.net/index.php?art/id:1559>impressions</a> with us:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It has been a long time for me. I try and have faith good things will happen, really, I do. I want to think that the next newest and shiniest game coming out will really be a good game. It so rarely is. ... So here I am, reverting back to some old games; games with a heart. Back to a time when game developer's really designed their game, their world, and most importantly, they defined what RPG really means. </blockquote>:salute:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Arcanum intros to a scene where two half ogres, who are flying planes, attack a blimp carrying passengers. Eventually the ogres destroy the blimp, and themselves in the process. You are the sole survivor, stumbling out of the wreckage, what appears to be an elderly gnomish man tells you to “Find the boy” and gives you his ring, just before he dies. From here, you experience the wonder of Arcanum. How? That is up to you. A figure approaches you from the beyond the smoke and debris, and you make your first choices. You see, in the land of Arcanum, almost every path is available to you. Want to be considerate, good, evil, rude, or maybe just a plain old thief? There is a way to obtain what you desire in each path. Maybe you aren't too bright? Hey, it is OK, you can admit it. Let your followers do the talking for you, and bash your way to fame.</blockquote>It's a great game indeed and one of the best RPGs ever made. If you haven't played it yet, now is the time.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Kharn

suibhne

Erudite
Dammit, I literally just started a newspost on this before figuring I should check the front page first. :P

Reading the review made me want to replay the game all over again.

taxacaria

Scholar
:shock:

games with a heart
Precisely described.
The remaining old RPGs have become a shelter for the action-'RPG' annoyed.
Gamers Info informs about an old game which is better than all of the craps on the current market.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The review makes me play it again, even though I've already pressed out the last drip of blood of this game. Explored everything, experienced all quests... but I'm going to do it again. It's worth it. Blame the review.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
I just recently finished it for the nth time, so I'll probably just masturbate into the box. Also for the nth time.

Shannow

Waster of Time
so i really am the only one (excepting trolls) who posts on the codex and didn't like arcanum? ah well, if i'm special in no other way, at least i can say:" nope sir, i really didn't like arcanum."

but you guys have fun replaying it. i still have gothic 3 to try (when i get my new computer)

:salute:

Greatatlantic

Erudite
There are a couple of things to not like about Arcanum (character imbalance and combat being two biggies). However, when it offers so much else that Codexers want its hard to fault it.

Amasius

Augur
With a decent turnbased combat and a better balancing Arcanum would be the best RPG ever made.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Arcanum was a good game; but it is now DEAD.

Nostalgia is for old geezers. I am not an old geezer. Are you all old geezers? if not, get over it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:

Nostalgia is for old geezers. I am not an old geezer. Are you all old geezers? if not, get over it.

NWN is DEAD.
Period.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Volourn said:

I am an old geezer and I love my dead, old games, kthxbye.

On a tangent, NWN is far from dead, I just lost my illithid-o-phile level 7 (that is A LOT on a low level server) rogue while hunting an alhoon (mind flayer lich) in the Underdark... damn Black Tentacles hitting me for 60 XP after the Bodak death-gazed our fighters into oblivion. I swear, the DMs were taunting us. [My server has basically DMs around 24/7, so you can always expect some nicely RPed quests and the like.]

The Underdark is the only remotely tolerable place in FR; everything else sucks hard, while the UD only sucks moderately.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"NWN is DEAD."

Not 'til i say it is. Game over.

"I am an old geezer"

O RLY?

One Wolf

Scholar
seriously, i thought the arcanum soundtrack was incredible. i even listen to it on winamp occasionally. the title track is beautiful.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Arcanum is not dead til I say it is. Game over."

No. x Game is dead is my lame line so I make the rules on how it's used... mmkay.

@ Arcanum's music: It was a solid track; but the best was the signature one which was awesome. Definitely a top music track for games. :cool:

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
@ Arcanum's music: It was a solid track; but the best was the signature one which was awesome. Definitely a top music track for games. :cool:

Something I think Volourn and I are brothers.

R00fles!

LCJr.

Erudite
Shannow said:
so i really am the only one (excepting trolls) who posts on the codex and didn't like arcanum? ah well, if i'm special in no other way, at least i can say:" nope sir, i really didn't like arcanum."

but you guys have fun replaying it. i still have gothic 3 to try (when i get my new computer)

:salute:

No you're not the only one. Although for me it wasn't an instant dislike. My enjoyment was slowly eroded by it's multitude of flaws.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I replayed Arcanum a couple months ago. It really is an awesome game. RIP Troika.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom