Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Arcanum nostalgia at GamersInfo

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Why do you- Nah fuck it. I can't do it with a straight online face.

Lurkar

Scholar
Stalagmite said:
Real quick. Where can I find a pair of kathorn glasses?

This is one of the reasons Arcanum is so fantastic:

You can steal them, have someone else make them, make them yourself by either lock picking the dwarf's cabinets to steal the schematics or talk him into giving you the key to his cabinet, or convince the dwarf to give them to you or, even better, convince him to go along with you in the first place.

Stalagmite

Scholar
who can make 'em for me? I already left the island and I can't go back. I killed the dwarf and took his schematics but I am not skilled in that craft.

Kotario

Liturgist
Kotario said:
I believe you can also convince the current king to go to war with the superior forces of Tarant, and receive an appropriately evil ending.
I misremembered this, while you can cause a war between Cumbria and Tarant, it has nothing to do with convincing the king; there is also a different slide associated with it. The slide I previously posted was from another war you can cause, between Caladon and Tarant.

Anyway, Stalagmite, I don't disagree with you about the tone of the game. There are dark areas here or there, but not at the level or type you seem to be looking for. Dernholm is a bit of an exception, and it is more sad than gritty. Most of the other 'dark' areas are of the typical overwrought evil fantasy type. Some of the endings can be bleak, but that is about it.

Stalagmite

Scholar
Major_Blackhart said:
Look around ashbury for a merchant. That is all I shall say. It's more fun for you to discover on your own.

True. I'm just trying to hurry up and finish the game a first time then I will try a more distinqushed more unique character.

Texas Red

Whiner
Kotario said:
Kotario said:
I believe you can also convince the current king to go to war with the superior forces of Tarant, and receive an appropriately evil ending.
I misremembered this, while you can cause a war between Cumbria and Tarant, it has nothing to do with convincing the king; there is also a different slide associated with it. The slide I previously posted was from another war you can cause, between Caladon and Tarant.

Damn it, I want those movies! *goes for another playthrough*

And you can get unlimited supplies of kathorn crystals on the shipwreck near Ashbury... or maybe it was Black Root, cant remember. Anyway, the town where there is a rumour about it.

By the way, do any of you know how to enter the Pits in Drenholm?

Stalagmite

Scholar
Damn, that Dredge dungeon below the wheel clan is hard. My dog that I found in Ashbury got killed and i broke my quality broadsword and my second one is almost broken.

Good job Troika for making a game where you have to think and plan ahead and do some serious party managment before you venture in the darkest dungeons.

I am a level 31 half-orc fighter, by the way with 21 strength and maxed out dodge and melee.

EDIT: I don't like Arcanum's soundtrack. I think Fallout's is way better.

Stalagmite

Scholar
Ok Volourn, esteemed Codex Princess, instead of patronizing, how about giving some pointers on how you yourself proceeded that dungeon with ease?

God, the way you tease makes me wanna bash your head with a club, knocking you unconcious and drag you to my cave and fuck your asshole until your slogan is 'Stalagmite' istead of 'R00fles!'

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I walked in there with my gun weilding/melee weilding dwarf along with a few companions that I cna't remember since it'ss been awhile but included Virgil and the dwarf in Tarant (maybe the big half ogre too) the proceeded to have multiple lame battle with the enemies.

Stalagmite

Scholar
If you can't get down to specifics when you say it's easy, shut the fuck up.

It's just weak trolling and attention whoring when you insult like that. It doesn't work on me as far as offending goes, it just makes me do what I posted above.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I cna't remember specifics for two reasons:

1. It was easy. There wa sno need for ana ctual strategy.

2. I played it EONS ago.

Fuckin' R00fles!

Stalagmite

Scholar
If you remember it being so easy, why bother to insult others over the fact? Low self esteem? On a power trip? A lttle of both, probably?

Ahhh Volourn, you will never learn respect unless I get ahold of you, something no one with any dignity ever wishes.

You would do well to adhere VD's advice or else power unforseen in your eyes will grasp you and hold you to it's bossom with pleasure while you squeel in agony like a frightened child.

Kotario

Liturgist
Admiral jimbob said:
Alright, how many wars can you start and how can you do it?
There is only one in-game war I can think of, and I have no direct experience with it. Apparently you can convince Loghaire to lead the Wheel Clan in an attack on Tarant, it was all mentioned not to long ago here. I believe your character needs to be somewhat diplomatic in order to successfully convince Loghaire of this (or of anything really).

The other post-game wars are addressed in the Arcanum endings thread and are mentioned here as well.

1.) Caladon and Tarant. If you preform poorly in the negotiations to admit Caladon into the United Kingdom, there is unrest and eventually a war starts between the countries. If you helped Hieronymous Maxim prove that his aircraft can work (by providing him with the camera found at the Zephyr crashsite), Caladon's new airplanes win the war for them. If you did not help Maxim, the war becomes many wars, with no clear victor.

2.) Cumbria and Tarant. If you inform Lianna Pel Dar of Maximilian's location on the Isle of Despair, she eventually brings him back to Cumbria, post-game. If you didn't convince the mayor of Blackroot to return to Cumbria, the two nations eventually go to war over ownership of the town. Maximilian successfully wages war against Tarant, and Blackroot is returned to Cumbria. If you do convince the mayor to return, there is a dispute, but the ending calls it only a "small struggle."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You would do well to adhere VD's advice or else power unforseen in your eyes will grasp you and hold you to it's bossom with pleasure while you squeel in agony like a frightened child."

If the All Powerful VD couldn't intimidate me with his threats of banning; I cna guarnatee your even more retarded threats to 'teach me a lesson' are not gonna work, either.

Moron.

P.S. Arcanum was a good game; but it was not hard. Period.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"644 Lakeshoire Dr unit 36, North Bay, Ontario, Canada?"

You obviously missed the memo. Both my address, and phone number have changed... like 2 years ago. Do a search. I think I posted one of those during the time I called the Codex out for stalking.

R00fles!

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Volourn said:
"644 Lakeshoire Dr unit 36, North Bay, Ontario, Canada?"

You obviously missed the memo. Both my address, and phone number have changed... like 2 years ago. Do a search. I think I posted one of those during the time I called the Codex out for stalking.

R00fles!

:Iwearmysunglassesatnight:

Lurkar

Scholar
I am going to agree with Vol on one thing - Arcanum wasn't really hard. Unless, of course, you went out of your way to make it difficult.

As for the Dredge, I never even went down there my first gameplay. And to think, I chose persuasion/charisma because I thought it would make the game more CHALLENGING...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lurkar said:
I am going to agree with Vol on one thing - Arcanum wasn't really hard. Unless, of course, you went out of your way to make it difficult.

I wouldn't agree. Arcanum wasn't hard for experienced cRPG/P&P players because they would know how to balance their team (balancing NPCs could be the toughest thing, especially since some of the best are not necessarily the best to start with, and because Dog keeps dying but is a badass mofo).

Without knowledge of balance and knowing to prepare for dungeon crawls properly, Arcanum could be pretty challenging (unless you're a Mental/Summoning mage, too easy). Certainly a hell of a lot more challenging than a game in which you could just max out the appropriate stats and then burn your way through, like Fallout.

And you can get unlimited supplies of kathorn crystals on the shipwreck near Ashbury... or maybe it was Black Root, cant remember. Anyway, the town where there is a rumour about it.

By the way, do any of you know how to enter the Pits in Drenholm?

There is no unlimited supply of kathorns anywhere, but you can get them there, yes.

You can get thrown into the pits if you have the quest or enter them through the secondary opening (way in the North-West, off the city map).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom