Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Bioshock forums now open

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: BioShock; Irrational Games

In a <i>"What Took So Goddamn Long?"</i> moment, <a href=http://www.2kgames.com/>2K Games</a> finally decided to open a <a href=http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16>forum</a> for discussing <a href=http://www.irrationalgames.com/>Irrational Games</a>' totally not creepy game, <a href=http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/>Bioshock</a>. From the official welcoming post:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
The official 2K forums are now open! The official meeting place for the Cult of Rapture, the BioShock forums will be your place to communicate with me, the team at Irrational, and of course, other devoted citizens of Rapture.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Finally a forum where you can freely talk about killing young girls.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You should have less carriage returns before and after the blockquotes you use in news items.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I suppose it would though I've never looked for my hard drive's groin. Also if there's a red button labled Self-Destruct that will probably do it too (all computers and military bases have these)

Krafter

Scholar
If they consolize this, the last strands of good inside me will die and I will never trust anyone ever again.

vazquez595654

Erudite
They already did. The question is, will it still be fun? I actually enjoyed Rainbow Six Vegas for the PC, minus the story.

MountainWest

Scholar
There's also a new interview, though I don't know if it reveals anything new.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/biosho ... b07_p2.asp

Joe M: We hate cut scenes. The story should be given to the player in a way where it's up to him whether he wants to listen to him or not, because frankly a lot of players don't give a shit about the story - I'm not even that bothered about it!

This I both like and dislike. I like the idea of the game not being interrupted by cutscenes, and that you can leave in the middle of a dialogue. I don't like that it implies that NPC's will be information boxes that spurts out their lines at a given trigger.

And really, "I'm not even bothered by it"? What the fuck does that mean? That the "story" will be: "Water is 'coming -> escape -> The end"? I would have loved if the main objective was to explore and piece togheter clues to whatever happened down there.

Kikizo: Can you tell us more about how there are multiple solutions in the game, does that make it a little too open ended, how do you address that balance?

Joe F: Well it's difficult to balance, because with the nature of our tools there are unlimited ways to mix and match those powers to your situation - our goal with designing this game was to make a game where the list of choices was actually defined by the player himself, not by the game designer. You're not doing A, B or C - you're doing whatever you want, based on the resources and the tools available.

Joe M:There are multiple solutions for every problem, it's really about the player telling us how he wants to play this game. There's always a number of different things you can do, and it's up to you to decide which of your resources you're going to deploy.

Sounds good.

Kikizo: This is kind of the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, how do you think it extends from that game and what big similarities can fans look forward to?

Joe F: Fear, and hunger. It's a real good start! And also it's taken the player choice and open endedness of System Shock 2 but offered in a more accessible manner - it's easier to get into than System Shock 2, so we're hoping we're hoping we can bring that same amount of gameplay to a larger audience.

Yay! Easier! Accessible! Larger audiences! All the next-gen dumb down crap you can eat!

Still, this is one of the few games I'm going to buy in 2007 - in hopes that they can recreate the atmosphere of SS2.

OT: how do you hackers with your mad computa skillz transform ordinary text to links?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Role-Player said:
I only press Return once, yet it doubles the space between the blockquotes as if I've pressed it twice. How can I fix that? :?
Don't press return at all.

suibhne

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Role-Player said:
I only press Return once, yet it doubles the space between the blockquotes as if I've pressed it twice. How can I fix that? :?
Don't press return at all.

In other words, eliminate the returns entirely - put them all on the same line.

Krafter

Scholar
MountainWest said:
Yay! Easier! Accessible! Larger audiences! All the next-gen dumb down crap you can eat!
God, dosen't this kind of crap drive me nuts. The word 'accessible' may be the worst possible thing that I want to hear in a game interview, let alone one about Bioshock. Like I said before and will again, this one is the big one for me. Deus Ex, Thief and System Shock were my big three, and now we are down to one. This will really hurt if it goes to shit.

The funny thing is, the standard ADD Wallmart gamer is not reading these interviews and not researching the game online before he buys it. This guy is attracted by shiny objects and 15 second TV commercials. They could easily aim these interviews at the MIT graduate crowd without a single dent in their coveted sales numbers, I would think.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I have high hopes for the game. Their last effort in Tribes: Vengeance was enjoyable enough for a newcomer to the series before they sorta dropped the ball on updating the game. I have too many perceptions about the game that I know will not apply, but am anxious whether they will set me up for a disappointment for not ending up in the way I initially envisioned. I don't know why but I thought it would be cool if the game introduced some big iceberg for a change of scenery...like if you can't stop flooding the complex, might as well freeze the hell out of it kind of deal.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Pegultagol said:
I have high hopes for the game. Their last effort in Tribes: Vengeance was enjoyable enough for a newcomer to the series before they sorta dropped the ball on updating the game.

I think Vivendi did that. A patch was in the works and Vivendi said they didn't want to devote the money to testing it because it didn't sell all that well. Since they wouldn't test it, they wouldn't support it and don't want to deal with tech support issues on a patch they didn't test or some such.

Krafter

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
I think Vivendi did that. A patch was in the works and Vivendi said they didn't want to devote the money to testing it because it didn't sell all that well. Since they wouldn't test it, they wouldn't support it and don't want to deal with tech support issues on a patch they didn't test or some such.
This is true, and is also probably one of the reasons that they have gone to (and have been bought by) Take 2 instead of Vivendi. None of the lack of post-release support of Tribes can really be attributed to Irrational.

suibhne

Erudite
Briosafreak said:
Yeah I just saw that today, it means it has been postponed again.

Yep. Was June, now August. Meh.

At least STALKER finally went gold. (Uh, lol? :D)

MountainWest

Scholar
In tribute to Morton Berger, Irrational Games have decided to release anew official movie.

Can't remember that I've ever seen a trailer as disturbing as the last seconds of this one.

EDIT: The link apparently opens both the list of all trailers - including the new one, official movie 2 - and a popup of the old one.

Dire Roach

Prophet
The story should be given to the player in a way where it's up to him whether he wants to listen to him or not, because frankly a lot of players don't give a shit about the story - I'm not even that bothered about it!
Andrew Ryan: "Welcome to Ra..." *BLAM*

Player: "Who gives a shit!? JonBenet, here I come!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom