Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Immortal Throne thumbs up at Atomic Gamer

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

<A href="http://www.atomicgamer.com/">Atomic Gamer</a> has <A href="http://www.atomicgamer.com/article.php?id=387">a review</a> of <a href="http://www.titanquestgame.com">Titan Quest: Immortal Throne</a>. The overall score of the expansion is an <b>88%</b> with the faults basically being the same faults of the full game. Anyway, on muling:
<br>
<blockquote>One of the first things you might notice with Immortal Throne is that you now have a personal bank and a shared one. The personal one can be expanded twice for increasing sums of gold, and it winds up adding a sizable amount of space for your character. But your total capacity is even greater once you realize that you can create new characters and run them to the first village - then you can just drop items into the shared bank, switch characters, then pull them out of the shared slots on your new "mule" characters. These kind of features were added with external third-party utilities in the original Titan Quest, but now it's all done in game.</blockquote>
<br>
I've never liked the idea of shared banks. It's just way too much of a <i>YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME</i> convention.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

suibhne

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I've never liked the idea of shared banks. It's just way too much of a <i>YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME</i> convention.

Otoh, there's always the frustrating implementation in, say, KotOR or NWN2 - where the lack of shared inventory space illogical and arguably much more artificial than the alternative. When I read about shared inventory in The Broken Hourglass, my initial reaction was negative - but then I got back into playing NWN2 and was reminded of just how much could have been solved by some sort of shared inventory system.

Sounds like a pretty stupid kludge in TQ, tho.

Seboss

Liturgist
TQ is a hack n'slash with a foobar storyline and insipid quest-dispenser NPCs so I'm not too worried by the immershun-breaking shared inventory
If it can help to get the perfect build you always dreamed of for your 5 characters, that's all good.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quite frankly, I feel games like this need unlimited shared storage for all my characters.

Everything else is just a pointless nuisance.

RGE

Liturgist
I always wanted the equipment chest in Diablo 2 to be a shared storage for all my characters, so this seems like a good idea to me. Not that I even know what Titan Quest is, or plan to play it.

Texas Red

Whiner
Its a paradox that the expansion is recieved so very well, while the real game had mediocre reviews.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Shared inventory is retarded. Plain, and simple. There is NOTHING good about it. NOTHING AT ALL.

taxacaria

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Its a paradox that the expansion is recieved so very well, while the real game had mediocre reviews.

I'm surprised, too.
TQ is a mediocre hack&slash game, and mediocre ratings are correct in this case.
What's in the expansion that boosts it to 88?
Shared banks and even more hack&slash? Or what's the reason?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
taxacaria said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

I'm surprised, too.
TQ is a mediocre hack&slash game, and mediocre ratings are correct in this case.

It's the same reasona as always:
a) shitty game comes out - lots of bashing in game magazines
b) strangely, the game is a success (lol ppl are buing it!!)
c) the expansion comes out the ratings are higher - the crowd demands them
d) ergo: shit is good!- billions of flies can't be wrong

PS its gunna b awsum gaem!!!

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
bozia2012 said:
taxacaria said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

I'm surprised, too.

It's the same reasona as always:
a) shitty game comes out - lots of bashing in game magazines
b) strangely, the game is a success (lol ppl are buing it!!)
c) the expansion comes out the ratings are higher - the crowd demands them
d) ergo: shit is good!- billions of flies can't be wrong

PS its gunna b awsum gaem!!!

I personally think that TITAN QUEST is so so, but as

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928126.asp

proves, it was very well received. Or since when is an average rating of 81% considered "mediocre"?

It was even better received here in Europe ("First real challenger of DIABLO 2").

The improvement of ratings is probably because of the reformed inventory management. The old version of that was panned by all German magazines AFAIK which lowered their original rating just because of that.

The thing that bothers me is that I can't make myself believe that TQ now finally has a story...

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Saint_Proverbius said:
It's just way too much of a <i>YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME</i> convention.

LAWL yur not pleing a gaem yur saving teh wolrd!!

PS in the game manual in the part about caravans there's something like this: "whenever you give something to a caravan and teleport to another city the caravan with this item is already there - caravans are faster than you think!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom