Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Master Creating help to break Action RPG drought!

Section8

Cipher
Tags: Legend - Hand of God; Master Creating

<a href="http://www.gbase.ch">GBASE</a> have an interview with Jan Beuck of <a href="http://www.master-creating.de/>Master Creating</a>, the guys behind <a href="http://www.ra2083.com/">Restricted Area</a>. The game they're currently hard at work upon is called <a href="http://www.legend-game.de/index.php">Legend - Hand of God</a>, yet doesn't seem to feature any kind of Argentine football chicanery (or jiggery-pokery if you prefer.)
<br>
<blockquote>The Cinematic Combat system we developed for Legend should change the portrayal of combat in action RPGs forever. Instead of always beating up enemies the same way, no matter how tall or small, Legend offers dynamic battles. Every battle is different. The hero pursues different strategies depending on the situation. Small enemies are swept away with powerful strokes of the sword, individual parades and numerous special attacks come and go. When attacking larger enemies, however, the hero has to jump in order to even have a chance of hitting them. For example, you can climb on the back of a big troll to bring him down by stabbing him in the neck with your sword. We're quite busy and having lots of fun incorporating finishing moves like that in the game.
<br>
<br>
At the same time, the equipment of you and your enemies influence the portrayal of battle dynamically. If someone carrying a shield is attacked, he'll use the shield to block attacks. If he has a sword, he uses that. If he carries an axe, he has to dodge. Depending on your weapons, different combat styles emerge. The weapons you carry also represent your decisions in terms of attributes and skills.
<br>
<br>
The controls stay the way you're used to however. Simple and fast, exactly what you probably expect from an action RPG. The typical gameplay isn't at stake at all.</blockquote>If Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic weren't so utterly forgettable, this would sound eerily familiar. Oh those <s>Russians</s> Germans.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</A>

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
I have very high hopes for that game. Considering MC track record (they produced RESTRICTED AREA mainly with two guys) I think that they can pull it off with proper funding and enough personal this time.

Ahh, I love the european developers. Why must the Americans come up with shit like HELLGATE LONDON? I cannot believe someone makes this game or wants to play it.

But as long as there are enough eastern and western european developers there will be some good games in the future.

Kraszu

Prophet
Sir_Brennus said:
I have very high hopes for that game. Considering MC track record (they produced RESTRICTED AREA mainly with two guys) I think that they can pull it off with proper funding and enough personal this time.

Ahh, I love the european developers. Why must the Americans come up with shit like HELLGATE LONDON? I cannot believe someone makes this game or wants to play it.

What makes this game better?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
European developers ar eby and alrge shitty. The number of European games I've played thata re actually good is very, very small. This game sounds no different.

Leave the gaming to the experts - North Amerikans and Japanese.

Europeans can stick to what they do best - world wars, and conquering other nations. And, bowing down to royalty. L0LLERZ!

R00fles!

Kraszu

Prophet
Well I hope that European developers will still be producing many games that Volourn like people in USA don't like.

Europeans can stick to what they do best - world wars, and conquering other nations. And, bowing down to royalty. L0LLERZ!

Nice knowledge about the world rotfl.

Texas Red

Whiner
I like it how there isnt a single CRPG in development from the Northern America(and by that I exlude Diablo clones and indie titles). If there are any, point me to their direction.

obediah

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
We should rename hamburgers to Freedomburgers.

I don't think the brave men and women fighting in iraqistan would appreciate your flippancy.

User was nabbed fit

The Walkin' Dude said:
I like it how there isnt a single CRPG in development from the Northern America(and by that I exlude Diablo clones and indie titles). If there are any, point me to their direction.

Halo 3. GAME OVER.

Astromarine

Erudite
Holy shit, everything I've seen from Sir Brennus has been such naked apology of anything related with Der Vaterland that it instantly makes me discard anything he might say as inconsequential.

Globbi

Augur
What the dev says sounds very cool but it looks like there will be a single killing move for every kind of monsters and this will be the only difference in tactics aganist different enemies. A game with such graphics giving possibilities of a lot of tactics and killing methods for different enemies the way he described would simply be too expensive to make.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Section8 said:
For example, you can climb on the back of a big troll to bring him down by stabbing him in the neck with your sword. We're quite busy and having lots of fun incorporating finishing moves like that in the game.
And the user experience is: Click-Click-Click or Hold-down-left-mouse-button-click.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I've been playing nothing but Mythos. I think it's pretty silly to compete with a game from the creators of the action RPG genre (Diablo) and Fate. Not to mention the fact that it's free.

I'm sure you were saying the same thing when these very same people (Blizzard North) came up with Diablo. Why would anyone want to play a game that consists of little more than clicking your left and right mouse buttons? :roll:

What makes MC's new game any better?

It's kind of sad how you'd denigrate Hellgate: London when so many other Germans are looking forward to the game. You wouldn't just be saying that to be *different* would you?

Hellgate London? Mass Effect? Oblivion's Expansion Pack? Obsidian's Aliens RPG? Dragon Age?

I hate agreeing with Volourn, but European developers are by and large generally shitty due to poor QA practices (The buggyness of Sacred and Gothic 3 come to mind), small funding and a myriad of other reasons. The only game I can see breaking the curse of buggy European games is The Witcher, and that's only because the CDProjekt Red financed it and developed it on their own terms.

HardCode

Erudite
The Cinematic Combat system ...

Games are doomed.

... the hero has to jump in order to even have a chance of hitting them.

Sounds like another Fantasy Action Game (TM), or F.A.G. RPG doesn't belong in the title. Swords doesn't make an RPG.

If someone carrying a shield is attacked, he'll use the shield to block attacks. If he has a sword, he uses that.

OMGLOLBBQ!!!! If they have a shield, they USE it! The innovashun!

zioburosky13

Educated
*cough*...STALKER..... made by bunch of Russian and Ukraine....
Better gameplay than Boredvillion... No fucking instant travel without choice and consequence...

R.A is a fucking piece of donkey turd. I wonder how shitty it can be with their next game... :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Is STALKER really a good game? I've heard a lot of mixed reactions about the game. They've got it for sale for RM89 (25 USD) where I live and I can't decide if I should grab it or not.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
You're forgetting about Blizzard and their RPGs.

1. Can't remember: Did they do a CRPG since DIABLO2-LoD? WoW does not count.

2. I am no patriotic guy. Well, maybe I don't even feel like a German, but more like a European.

3. @Volourn: World Wars? What was the nation that made war a global threat in the 21st century? Ah, yes it was Doobya and his cronies...

4. I have bought and played a good lot of american CRPGs in the years. The quality in the last years ranged from fine (NWN2, JE) over inconsequential (DS2, MKA, TQ) to abyssmal (BT,TES4, DL, FABLE).
On the other hand I played a lot more (eastern-)european CRPGs that I remember fondly. Just play GODS, H&S, NW, NEVEREND or even the STAR WOLVES series to see what european devs can pull off with not half the budget the american studios have available. I bought ETROM and it's not good but it is miles better than BT or DL.

5. STALKER is no CRPG. It's a shooter with small RPG elements.

6. BOILING POINT was a CRPG (when TES4 is one, than this is too) and it is better than TES4 using the latest patch.

7. The aforementioned games both come from eastern Europe.

8. End of the day: American CRPGs are dead!!LOLOLROFL!!111

EDIT:

@astromarine

No it isn't. I hate the GOTHIC series and that one is a German/Austrian coop.

Kraszu

Prophet
Sol Invictus said:
I hate agreeing with Volourn, but European developers are by and large generally shitty due to poor QA practices (The buggyness of Sacred and Gothic 3 come to mind), small funding and a myriad of other reasons. The only game I can see breaking the curse of buggy European games is The Witcher, and that's only because the CDProjekt Red financed it and developed it on their own terms.

I didn't notice any bugs in space rangers 2, G1&G2 patched had some small bugs, I rather have whit small bugs that suck and works. There is couple 1C games that look promising, The witcher, G3 expansion from non European what? Some fps that I don't care much about and that is it, maybe dragon age.

Texas Red

Whiner
I think this game should be ignored. It doesnt sound good when the bigest attraction point is fancy movies during combat. This is purely cosmetical and doesnt add much to gameplay. Itsalso, I assume, hoggs up much time.

Kraszu, what 1C games are you looking forward to?

Kraszu

Prophet
Mostly Battle Lord, (sr creators), some other games can be good to like:

-Ascension to the Throne
-Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey
-Fantasy Wars
-Parkan II

I didn't play boiling point yet (old pc, probably upgrade if g3 exp will be good), they next projects sound good through.

Fez

Erudite
Sol Invictus said:
Is STALKER really a good game? I've heard a lot of mixed reactions about the game. They've got it for sale for RM89 (25 USD) where I live and I can't decide if I should grab it or not.

It might be worth getting it if it is on discount, but expect a game that has equal frustration and joy. I caved in and got it and I'm not exactly blown away by it. There are a lot of annoying things about it. It's one of these games you almost hate for knowing how good they could have been. The freedom in the game isn't what I thought it would be.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So, what are the strong sides?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom