Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Codex NWN2 interview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

We asked Josh Sawyer a <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=147>few questions</a> about <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/>Neverwinter Nights 2</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>2. If you had a chance to lead the development from the beginning, what would you have done differently? An inquiring mind wants to know.</b>
<br>
<br>
Beware those who come bearing high-minded ideals of what they would do in retrospect. But, since you asked...
<br>
<br>
In terms of designing the OC, I would have gone for something a lot more open-ended, more about exploration and optional content/companions than critical path game length. I also think I would have asked for engineering to focus on revising game logic roadblocks that prevent modders from extending the ruleset. For example, revising the custom spell list data. Revisions to the resource system and the addition of a manager also would have helped a lot.
<br>
<br>
And though I know it would have resulted in a lot of resistance and probably less attention from the media, I would have pushed back as much as possible against replacing the renderer. I just don't think we had the time to do it completely and well. It also really screwed up all of our GUI code and changed all of the art asset pipelines throughout production.
<br>
<br>
But again, this is all in retrospect.</blockquote>Looking forward to Josh's next project.
<br>

MountainWest

Scholar
Looking forward to Josh's next project.
Indeed. And by "indeed" I mean The Black Hound. I'm not delusional enough to believe that the Alien RPG he's tied up with (lead designer?) will be anything more than yet another kill'em all.

Zomg

Arbiter
I was annoyed at how the multiple gimmick layer design of the final fight was clearly inspired by Everquest-type "raid" boss fights, and I'm disappointed that JS is responsible. I dunno, though - the combat design was such a mess that a less gimmicky boss fight could have been worse. Maybe it was just a jerry rig.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It's interesting how honest he is but I get the sense that some of it is just to please us. Never trust tricky dicky Sawyer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nah. It's a mix of Sawyer and the Codex. I doubt he'd be so frank in a more typical media intevriew while he was trying to hype the game. L0LLERZ!

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Ever wonder how he got into Obsidian and suddenly became director of one of their top games? He sucked Uncle Furgies cock after admitting that he should of never went to work on that Guantlet game where he sucked that other guys cock.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Um. Because, they knew each other from awhile back. Afterall, it was Mr. U who put Mr. S in charge of IWD2. :roll:

But, your theory *is* a possibility too.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
He also put Mr. S in charge of Mr. Fo3 when he promised before to put MCA in charge of it before hand.

I smell conspiracy of the cock.

elander_

Arbiter
Very nice interview. I tend to agree with what this guy says.

"Beware those who come bearing high-minded ideals of what they would do in retrospect."

Great ideals often meen not having a clue or being too lazy to look into the classics and realize that what you are doing today and calling innovative was already done before and it was done with more quality.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow. I really didn't expect him to be so open and blunt about NWN2's flaws.

Let's hope this isn't just talk and he puts some of these ideas in use next time.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Holy crapplesauce! This has got to be the weirdest thread ever! Is it a full moon tonight or something?

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Damn. I wish Obsidian would have contacted me earlier. I would have solved all their programming woes... well probably not, but still. I just got a programming test from them (which was actually fairly easy), but they were too late. I accepted a job over a month ago. For shame.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
dojoteef said:
Damn. I wish Obsidian would have contacted me earlier. I would have solved all their programming woes... well probably not, but still. I just got a programming test from them (which was actually fairly easy), but they were too late. I accepted a job over a month ago. For shame.

Any chance that job is for Sega? Just a thought.

Solaris

Scholar
What Mr Sawyer says in that interview pretty much sums up my thoughts on Obsidian as a whole. Their technical aptitude and vision is somewhat lacking.....along with the D&D thing being more of a hinderance than a benefit overall.....a pity.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed and hated a game all at the same time as much as I have with NWN2 :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom