Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Winterheart's Guild - new PA action RPG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Winterheart's Guild

Bossman sent me this link: <a href=http://www.winterheartsguild.com/wg/index.htm>Winterheart's Guild</a> - post-apocalyptic action-RPG with castles and shit.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Winterheart's Guild is a post-apocalyptic action-RPG. The setting is a harsh, brutal Earth, after the destruction of civilization at its technological peak. In this world, resources are scarce, and the environment is as dangerous as the enemies that the player must face. The world is mostly covered in snow and ice. It's not only the health of your character that matters, but also warmth and energy. Valuable items are hard to come by. In this world, you truly feel the value of finding a good weapon and a reasonable stash of ammunition.
<br>
<br>
The story so far&#65533;
<br>
<br>
After the cataclysm, Earth's population was diminished to a fraction of what it used to be. The planet was covered in snow and ice and resources were scarce, making survival extremely difficult. Before long, several opposing factions started to emerge: the Dark Mages, the Technomancers and the Order of Nature, among others. Those who did not join the rising factions became known simply as "the free". These villagers chose a simple way of life, and attempted to live in peace with others.
<br>
<br>
The balance of power&#65533;
<br>
<br>
The Technomancers thrive on the revival of technology. It is believed that they are trying to locate a technological artefact, a device so powerful that it has the ability to destroy entire nations. If the Technomancers succeed in gaining access to this lost technology, they will study it and replicate it. If they succeed in unravelling its secrets, they will hold the world to ransom, or worse, use the device to destroy all those who oppose them.
<br>
<br>
In an attempt to keep the peace and to stop the Technomancers (or any other faction) from gaining absolute power, Winterheart's Guild is formed - a small group of heroes and leaders from the free people.</blockquote>A device so powerful that it has the ability to destroy entire nations? You've gotta be kidding me.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Zomg

Arbiter
They had me up until the mage shit; then I had a nice closed-eye cringe of disappointment.

abstract

Scholar
Winterheart's Guild? It better not feature music by Sonata Arctica on the soundtrack.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It does. According to RPG Watch, the band members are characters in the game.

Fez

Erudite
It sounds like a shittier and simplified version of some of the ideas you were proposing before. It's a setting that could be really interesting if they don't fall at that first or second hurdle.

Surgey

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
In an attempt to keep the peace and to stop the Technomancers (or any other faction) from gaining absolute power, Winterheart's Guild is formed - a small group of heroes and leaders from the free people.

A RAGTAG GROUP OF TEENAGERS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN STOP THEM NOW!!!

Anyway, this is starting to sound like a rip off of Rifts. Still, not a bad setting to rip off; it IS, however, a terrible SYSTEM (Palladium) to rip off. In fact, I was wanting to run a Tri-Stat game with some friends using a system ripped off of Rifts, since it's pretty unique.

katzenjammer

Novice
If the Technomancers succeed in gaining access to this lost technology, they will study it and replicate it. If they succeed in unravelling its secrets, they will hold the world to ransom...

I demand the sum... of one MILLION dollars!

Kortalh

Liturgist
The game might suck, but at least the soundtrack will be epic and awesome.

Koby

Scholar
*yawn* this is hardly news worthy and definitely nothing to get exited about.

icon_SpeedTree.gif

icon_ageia.jpg

In an attempt to keep the peace and to stop the Technomancers (or any other faction) from gaining absolute power, Winterheart's Guild is formed - a small group of heroes and leaders from the free people.
Sounds like a dungeon siege wannaby with better immersion.

And btw it doesn’t need a good story to be a good hack and slash: "theses are you killing machines" and "the enemy is that way" with good graphics and that it, you have a mega seller.

It's just another... *yawn*

burrie

Scholar
abstract said:
Winterheart's Guild? It better not feature music by Sonata Arctica on the soundtrack.
Last time I checked the site(some months ago), the main characters are even modelled after the band, and would contain SA music. I believe there are some screenshots of the band members discussing the game with the development team.

Suicidal

Arcane
Yet ANOTHER action RPG?

Seriously whatever the setting is - be it post-apoc, fantasy or The Stone Age, when I hear the words "new action RPG" I see a piss-poor Diablo( or any other Hack'n slash that came earlier than the new game) clone when you basicly have to click through hordes of monsters(or whatever enemies the game has) and save the world. All those small new innovations don't really make a difference since the game is about killing everything that moves(except NPCS that sell you potions and weapons). Why do people keep making those games? Because they're popular with the public? I know, but why?

abstract

Scholar
Well, at least it won't be worse than that Kiss fps from a few years ago. I'm also surprised that this is a post-apoc setting and not an epic fantasy land with magical forests of elves, emerald swords, rains of a thousand flames and whatnot.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
What is Sonata Arctica's involvement?

The band members feature as the main characters in this alternate futuristic world. There is no connection between the in-game characters and the real-world band, other than looks and voice. We are also trying to bring across distinct characteristics for each main character that may or may not match their real-world personalities.

Sonata Artica is also providing the instrumental music (in-game and other) for Winterheart's Guild, as well as one or more bonus tracks (full songs).

Furthermore, many of the story, character and other elements of the game subtly draw from Sonata Arctica song lyrics, including albums other than Winterheart’s Guild.

Sonata Arctica also has some input in terms of gameplay ideas and features.

-------------

What. The. Fuck.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Our engine is now integrated with SpeedTree®. In a nutshell, this means that Winterheart's Guild will have dense and realistic forests and plant life.
:shock:

Oh man... I'll have to get this game :D

Atrachasis

Augur
Dagorkan said:
Winterheart said:
Our engine is now integrated with SpeedTree®. In a nutshell, this means that Winterheart's Guild will have dense and realistic forests and plant life.

Oh man... I'll have to get this game

I share your excitement. Just think of TEH FISICKS!

Winterheart said:
All these things take place in a very physical world – we are using Ageia PhysX (with hardware support) to bring the world physically to life. Don’t have the key to open the wooden door? Just bash it in if you have the right weapon and enough strength...

Just to think that, when we were bashing in doors in Dungeon Master 20 years ago, we were doing it unphysically!

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I dunno. He's wearing camo, and I think he uhh... has bangs.

While that may seem gay, I don't think he'd bag a dude like that.

Now as for LARPing chicks, I'm sure he has his pick of the litter.

Surgey

Scholar
I still think it sounds like a rip off of Rifts, especially with the word "technomancer." If they use the term "ley line," then it's over.

abstract

Scholar
Section8 said:
What the? If any metal band deserves an RPG to be made form their works, it's Bal Sagoth.

The name of the game wouldn't fit on the box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom