Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Restricted Area dealie over at RPG Vault

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Restricted Area

<a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/429/429689p1.html?fromint=1">Peek of the Week #2</a> about <A href="Http://www.restricted-area.net">Restricted Area</a> is up and posted at <A href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/">RPG Vault</a> for those two want a few more paragraphs of info about the German made title(Hey, they invented the <i>bratwurst</i>). Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Since the game concept is something of a tribute to the cyberpunk literature of the mid-90s, I decided to let the soundtrack follow the same path. I've tried to stay away from the brutal industrial sound sometimes associated with this genre, and instead let myself be inspired by the more melodious sounds of game titles like Shadowrun, Crusader and Deus Ex. Today, there is a strong trend towards symphonic orchestral music in computer games, but I have instead chosen to go back to a more old school sound, something to enjoy for all fans of the games mentioned above. Just as Restricted Area spans a wide range of environments, so does the music. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I would have prefered <i>Devo</i> to 90s industrial, personally.
<br>
<br>
Oh yeah, and the boys at <A href="http://www.master-creating.com">master creating</a> are hard at work on the <i>in game trailer</i> for this title for those looking for some multi-megabyte eye candy.
<br>

EEVIAC

Erudite
I'd love some Devo in the soundtrack. Isn't New Wave fashionable these days (especially as an excuse to play the same shitty garage music, but with asymetrical hair and stripey clothes?) Personally I was thinking Kraftwerk, Joy Division, or Cybertron - ideally I'd like an mp3 option (why all PC games don't have this feature, I can't fathom.)

I'm still expecting the soundtrack to be at turns breakbeat for action, ambient for wandering, although I can't confirm that. It depends on what sort of sounds they use. Shadowrun had some neat 8-bit (?) music, but I hate the music in Deus Ex - all Unreal games sound the same to me.

As for Jeremy Soule, I thought the Arcanum score was far superior.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
New Wave is back with a vengeance. Check out The Postal Service and NASA. Definitely popular these days, and good, too!

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I'd imagine they'll be using Scene music, since it's what they've done in the past.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Exitium said:
New Wave is back with a vengeance. Check out The Postal Service and NASA. Definitely popular these days, and good, too!

Doesn't the Postal Service include people from Death Cab for Cutie? I'm not enamoured with DCfC but I'll go do some research. The Rapture have a new record coming out this September, Blondie beats with PiL guitars with Robert Smith-like vocals.

Araanor

Liturgist
EEVIAC said:
ideally I'd like an mp3 option (why all PC games don't have this feature, I can't fathom.)

Turning off in-game music and starting a player outside of the game is fairly simple.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Araanor said:
Turning off in-game music and starting a player outside of the game is fairly simple.

That depends on one's setup. If you had a stereo setup (+ speakers) next to your computer sound setup, you're right, it would be fairly simple. It begs the question though of why you'd buy a neat 5.1 speaker set for your PC sound when you already have a stereo that you can run your sound through? The opposite would also apply, why put a stereo in the same space as a PC that can do all the work of a stereo?

I personally have my PC sound run through the aux channel of a reasonable stereo, most of which is heard through a decent set of AKG headphones, (a setup I assume is fairly standard.) Even with an exterior music source, it would be simpler for me to not have to fiddle with said exterior sound source and have music mixed (muted when neccessary) in game. Although if the music is stored as mp3's it won't be that difficult to replace music with sounds that you like.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Araanor said:
I just meant booting up Winamp or equivalent and running it while you play.

Even easier! :oops: You still run into mixing problems, music being too loud when its not appropriate. It would be so much easier to have the functionality built in.

Araanor

Liturgist
I guess it would be a problem with cinematics, voiced stuff and so on... Otherwise, adjusting the in-game sound options might suffice.

Jan

Novice
RE

The soundtrack seems to be more interesting than I thought :wink:

To bring some light into the darkness: The engine currently supports MP3, OGG and CD audio. MP3 (and OGG) are fine, but by default the game will use CDA for several reasons: It doesn´t require any memory, it doesn´t require any loading time, it doesn´t require any CPU speed and you can listen to it in any CD player. I like to hear the soundtrack in my car - just skip the first track (some data is stored there, sounds like silence) and... voila! The style is hard to describe and very different between ambient tracks (for the city etc.), stressing mission tracks and hard boss fight music. Well, I hope at least most of you will like it. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom