Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Hype Machine 1, Fallout fans Nil

Section8

Cipher
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

In what can only be termed "tragically predictable", Bethesda have completely underwhelmed the gaming world's most notorious fanbase with an ultimately uninspired rehash of Fallout's intro. The man who has never believed in putting his best foot forward, Pete Hines on the <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com">teaser</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>1) Yes, that's in-engine (in-engine means it's done with game assets in our rendering engine, but isn't done real-time. If it was done in real-time, that'd be gameplay footage. This isn't something, for example, that was sent to some house [e.g. Blue Studios] so they could build assets and render it out, and create something for us to release [e.g. Dawn of War 40K intro cinematic]).
<br>
2) Yes, that's The Ink Spots singing "I Don't Want to Set the World On Fire"
<br>
3) Yes, that's Ron Perlman [voiceover man extraordinaire of Fallout 1 and 2].</blockquote>
<br>
Fallout and Oblivion are like fire and ice, and if the teaser is anything to go by, Fallout 3 is where they meet in the middle like lukewarm water.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=377505#377505">Link to thread with mirrors</a>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
It didn't show much, but it wasn't that bad really, was it?

The good: they're going for the 50s theme. That's one step above FOBOS, and a good sign. Looks 50s post apocalyptic. I like.

Bad? Well, its hard to say, but I'm not too keen on the evil looking BOS guy and the epic music. The BOS were a secretive, small organisation, and misunderstood by poor FO games where they were turned into paladin uber armourz. I hope - hope - the game's not marketed on big badass warriors like the brotherhood.

But overall - pretty good. It's looking much better than FOBOS, and that's a fine start. If they can get the dialogue and multiple paths - which will be completely new ground for Bethsoft - well, that'll be a test and a half. And the combat had better be turnbased :/

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The atmosphere, The Ink Spots and Ron Perlman at least show that they aren't completely disregarding what was built up by the previous games.

Other than that, we still don't know jack shit.

KreideBein

Scholar
I'm one of those that enjoyed Fallout because of its merits as a cRPG, rather than because of its '50s atmosphere and post-apocalyptic setting, so this trailer does absolutely nothing for me.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Said this on NMA when someone started complaining it was too much like the FO1 trailer.

When FO3 starts to copy FO1, there is NO WAY I'm going to start complaining. If Bethsoft want to appeal to that demographic, if bethsoft want to ape FO1 - with all the ways FO3 could otherwise go - seriously, that's pretty good going.

Complaining it's too much like FO1 is really shooting yourself in the foot.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
one thing though - i hope there's a good reason for the BOS to be in DC.

the BOS were never big in FO1, it's just the later games that latched onto them. I hope they have only a small role in FO3.

Fez

Erudite
I wonder if their balloon will crash and they will square their shoulders and set upon the task of gunning down robots and hairy deathclaws?

Jora

Arcane
Nice teaser, no complaints (although the Terminator Brother of Steel was a bit silly)

Section8

Cipher
Said this on NMA when someone started complaining it was too much like the FO1 trailer.

When FO3 starts to copy FO1, there is NO WAY I'm going to start complaining. If Bethsoft want to appeal to that demographic, if bethsoft want to ape FO1 - with all the ways FO3 could otherwise go - seriously, that's pretty good going.

The problem is, it proves nothing beyond "Bethesda are capable of aping Fallout's intro". It doesn't show that they "get" Fallout. It doesn't show that they have any intention of making a Fallout game. It shows they can mimic a cinematic intro according to a checklist.

Slow pull back revealing a ruined city? Check.
Vault Voy? Check.
Inkspots? Check.
Ron Perlman? Check.
T-51b (almost)? Check.

They either have no fucking idea at all, or they have no faith in their ability to show something "fallout-y" without directly aping it. Or I guess it could be a cynical move on their part because they know anything they haven't directly mimicked just doesn't look like Fallout.

And I think worst of all, this reeks of "safe and inoffensive". The very philosophy that brought us such great moments in creative expression as the horribly tepid Oblivion, or Matchbox 20.

Baphomet

Scholar
ESF said:
Good Things:
The Atmosphere - It was brilliant, just perfect for fallout. The interior of the bus was great, looked amazing and when they showed us the outside too it was beatifully made
The Power Armour - I though that some of the armour in the originals were very - shiny. This had the tin can effect, lovely. A thumbs up from me
War, War Never Changes - nuff said

Bad Things:
The Music - Surprisingly, ye olde 50's music doesn't always work. This is a case of this. I didn't like it. I know what they were going for but it was a little TOO cheesy for me.
The Model - It may be because this is a rough teaser but the model of the guy in power armour bugged me, his head didn't 'turn' correctly. I hope this will be addressed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It's a fuckin' teaser, punk ass. It was good for what it was. I thought it neateo how they panned out into the city.

Good job from.

You know what's predictable? The fuckin' whining about the teaser. FFS

What did you expect? A 30 minute game play video? FFS. It's a fuckin' teaser.

Go job Bethesda - and, I hate Bethesda.

Dumbasses.

P.S. The poweer armour guy was a little dissapointing.

Lumpy

Arcane
Oh, for fuck's sake. What's wrong with this trailer, except the lack of gameplay content? It seems to have the correct Fallout 1 atmosphere, something all of you didn't expect it would happen.
But, like KreideBein, I must say that the retrofuturism was a minor gimmick, which didn't even appear in the actual fucking game all that much. What matters is gameplay.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
This could have involved thongs and hookers and Korn, you guys do realise that?

It might show a lack of imagination (or maybe just respect for the source material - imagine that, in a fallout sequel), but seriously, this is more positive than negative.

Lumpy

Arcane
If it didn't have these things, you'd all be fucking whining that:
"Slow pull back revealing a ruined city? Fail.
Vault Voy? Fail.
Inkspots? Fail.
Ron Perlman? Fail.
T-51b (almost)? Fail."
Volleyball is right, you're all fucking whiners. There's nothing to be displeased about with this teaser. What it does, it does the right way.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
They just had to do a drama shot of a scary powah armah man :)

Quite nice otherwise. Surprisingly nice, to be honest.

MountainWest

Scholar
070605fallout3sb3.jpg
terminator2.jpg

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, there's my thoughts:

1. It doesn't show any gameplay footage or anything. Just an intro. That's all. Oblivion's teaser trailer was pretty neat, too, and it still looks better than the game itself. So this has nothing to say about the game at all.

2. At least they try to stay true to the setting, and it doesn't look that bad either. I wouldn't say they got talent, but at least this doesn't look like tehey screwed up the setting or anything.

3. In conclusion I'd say: At least they try to get the setting right, and that's more than I've hoped for. Looks like they're not that completely retarted as I thought. Still, we don't know if the gameplay will get raped or anything. The setting seems to be on the safe side though.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Section8 said:
The problem is, it proves nothing beyond "Bethesda are capable of aping Fallout's intro". It doesn't show that they "get" Fallout. It doesn't show that they have any intention of making a Fallout game. It shows they can mimic a cinematic intro according to a checklist.

Slow pull back revealing a ruined city? Check.
Vault Boy? Check.
Inkspots? Check.
Ron Perlman? Check.
T-51b (almost)? Check.

Valves? Check.

It was okay as far as it went in my eyes, but really doesn't say anything about the direction of the gameplay which is a shame, but not unexpected. It was very nice to hear the Inkspots and Ron, but the Power Armour guy seemed sorta wrong to me for some reason.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Mr.Teatime said:
Yeah, but keep in mind that there's a difference between complaining about the actual similarities to FO1 and accusing Bethesda of just being manipulative, by trying to copy the originals in all the aspects that basically don't mean shit (CGI, promotional artwork, etc.).

I'm not bashing them for the promotional images, or this teaser (which I think is very well done), it's just that this stuff doesn't make me trust them more with the actual game either.

By the way, The Inkspots were quite the one-trick pony, weren't they? ;)

Deleted member 7219

I thought it was great. I'm really excited about Fallout 3 now. Very eerie, very cinematic, very Fallout. I'm optimistic.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
I thought it was great. I'm really excited about Fallout 3 now. Very eerie, very cinematic, very Fallout. I'm optimistic.
Don't fall for the hype!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom