Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KOTOR 3 for Christmas?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>CVG</a> reports that we may see KOTOR 3 <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=165554>sooner than we expected</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> A rumour has arisen in the US Official Xbox Magazine suggesting that the third title in BioWare's awesome KOTOR series could be with us as soon as Christmas or at least in 2008.</blockquote>It would be nice to see the article, so if someone here reads this great magazine regularly, a scan would be appreciated.
<br>
<br>
In unrelated (or maybe related) news, Bioware is looking for a <a href=http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/principal_lead_designer_console_rpg.html>Principal Lead Designer - Console RPG</a> "to help development on new <s>ground-breaking</s> collar-grabbing roleplaying games."
<br>

Section8

Cipher
Doesn't Mass Effect make another KOTOR pretty much redundant, or is this the KOTOR MMOG rumour again?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Section8 said:
Doesn't Mass Effect make another KOTOR pretty much redundant, or is this the KOTOR MMOG rumour again?
There are plenty of K3 rumors floating around the net. Doesn't mean it's true, of course.

It shouldn't even count as BioWare's series when they only made half the games. Either way, there will be a KOTOR3 at some point, made by some shitty developer unfinished so LucasArts can get more money.

sportforredneck said:
It shouldn't even count as BioWare's series when they only made half the games. Either way, there will be a KOTOR3 at some point, made by some shitty developer unfinished so LucasArts can get more money.

KOTOR is trying to surpass Fallout as the most man-handled RPG series. Of course it's going to need to beat 5 (6 if you count Van Buren) games each made by a significantly different development team.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It shouldn't even count as BioWare's series when they only made half the games."

In fairness, they had a big part in cretaing KOTOR2... the engine, characters, and story are at minimum based on BIO's KOTOR work. That goes whteher you like or dislike the KOTOR series.

Plus, I doubt KOTOR2 would have been made at all if KOTOR1 wasn't such a success which it wouldn't have been if it wasn't for BIO. Not all SW games sell big amounts.

Anyways, this is a rumour,a nd I'd be shocked if it';s true. It's illogical for BIO to go back to KOTOR whne they have ME which is basiclaly their 'ideal' version of a space RPG more than likely and they had passe don KOTOR2 in the first place.

I expect Obsidian, or another developer to make it if there is a KOTOR3 barring it actually being BIO's MMORPG which i also have my doubts...

Texas Red

Whiner
I dont dare to imagine what pure shitdom KotOR 3 will be. You can say all you want but KotOR 1 and 2 were quite fit for the RPG genre. Some of the dialog sequences, especially in KotOR 2, were the longest Ive ever seen.

When was that epic next gen ground breaking Force Unleashed thing coming out? If its planned for this year then I doubt KotOR 3 will see the light in 2007.

aries202

Erudite
hey, who choose the rumours option when speaking to CVG??

yes, indeed, but i saw a radscorpion the other day. It mated with a giant mudcrab ;) ---- :D

this just to say -- don't believe anything you hear...

who is going to make the game, then ?
Obsidian, no...
Bioware, no...

bethesda ios making Fallout 3..... Piranhat Bytes, may... eh, no...

As for the unrelated news, it could just be for the Mass Effect 2 game, or maybe Bioware will make their own post (atomic) apoc game. It is really popular these days....

Fallout 3
Resistance: Fall of Man
FEAR
Gears of War

and probably a bunch of other games...

I don't about you guys, but I'm really really tired of seing 'new ground-breaking role-playing game' all the time, just like I -------- when someone mentions innovation and immersion.

It usually means, 'hey, let's do what the other guys have done...' then we get to choose the barter option and sell a lot games (units) at a speechcraft skill of 75 or something like that :D ;)

Deleted member 7219

Why does everyone automatically assume Bioware is making it?

Bioware are now an exclusive IP-only studio. They aren't interested in making any more SW or D&D games.

Obsidian probably aren't making it. They are currently working on Mask of Betrayer, an Aliens RPG and two more unannounced projects I think.

Who else could be making it?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Matt7895 said:

Bioware are now an exclusive IP-only studio. They aren't interested in making any more SW or D&D games.

Obsidian probably aren't making it. They are currently working on Mask of Betrayer, an Aliens RPG and two more unannounced projects I think.

Troika? :lol:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
This is just someone fucking with you. K.O.T.R. 1 was an okay game with a few flaws. K.O.T.R. 2 sucked ass because they rushed it out for Christmas unfinished.

So yeah, this is bull shit.

Matt7895 said:

Yeah....right. KOTOR 3 by them would be a goldmine. They could even use the old engine and probably sell a million easy. Jade Empire didn't sell too well for a Bioware game either. If Mass Effect follows suit, they'll go back to licensing again....it's where they made all their money.

I dont dare to imagine what pure shitdom KotOR 3 will be. You can say all you want but KotOR 1 and 2 were quite fit for the RPG genre. Some of the dialog sequences, especially in KotOR 2, were the longest Ive ever seen.

Shoot me if you want, but I liked KOTOR 2. The combat was made even easier, but at least it felt kind of cool. Not to mention the companions were a hell of a lot more interesting than KOTOR's rehashes of Baldur's Gate characters who wouldn't do anything no matter what you did to them. And the influence system was nifty too. Plus it reminded me of Torment, and that's always good.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Bioware is looking for a "principal lead designer"? Just how many "lead designers" do they have on a project?

kris

Arcane
If they reuse as many assets as between KOTOR 1 and 2 then I suppose they could finish it within this timewindow without it suckign completly. And having a new KOTOR that is more "shiny" ain't what I want the most, I can think of a couple of other areas they could improve on.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Elhoim said:
Matt7895 said:

Troika? :lol:

That would mean that one of the possible game endings in KOTOR3 will be a blue screen of death.

Micmu

Magister
They were both rather shitty. If someone held me at a gun point and I had to replay one of them, I'd definitely play K1. It actually feels complete.
As for K3, if it will be longer, a bit less linear, with better main plot and *challenging* combat, I'll give it a shot. Maybe.
Anyway, this is how much I care for K3 so far:

doctor_kaz

Scholar
There has to be a Kotor 3 in development somewhere. But the only question is: who is working on it? All of the well-known quality RPG studios are accounted for. And there hasn't been a new one arise in a long time. :(

Oarfish

Prophet
Wouldn't KOTOR 3 'need' a new engine? Or at least a very substantial upgrade to the previous one, that would probably mean a longer development cycle than KOTOR 2.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Oarfish said:
Wouldn't KOTOR 3 'need' a new engine? Or at least a very substantial upgrade to the previous one, that would probably mean a longer development cycle than KOTOR 2.
No, all they need is the Kotor1 engine, 5 years of development and XBox 360 Live/Vista exclusivity. It would make total sense. It worked with Shadowrun and Halo 2, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom