Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Todd Howard overwhelms you with his density

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

No, seriously. He does. "We’re trying to overwhelm the player with visual density,” Howard said. <a href=http://xbox360.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p24489.htm>Click here</a> to read the rest of the GameZone article:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Bethesda took everything it learned in creating Oblivion and is applying it to Fallout to create a true role-playing epic. In some cases, the rendering is new to the games that Bethesda is creating – like the true water system that employs true reflections and refractions.</blockquote>"Only in true water reflections can true epicness be found". Chinese wisdom, 479 BC.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>While the game could be categorized as a first-person shooter...</blockquote>It's still true to the Fallout spirit, right?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>

elander_

Arbiter
So what do you think Todd is drinking? It can't be just green tea doing that to his brain.

I have serious doubts that FPS players will enjoy F3 action combat. I used to play in UT contests and i know that no FPS player would enjoy having to pause the game to be able to do critical shots. If they can't do critical hits without pausing the game then combat will be crap in whatever genre they try to put it.

Globbi

Augur
While the game could be categorized as a first-person shooter...
It means it's categorized as FPS only for FPS fans, not for codex smartass.

kiintlord

Novice
You know, his comments, remarks and expressions are so funny that it's difficult to take him seriously. Bless you Todd, your stupidity outshines your pretty engine. More laughs for us, less interesting games for everyone.

Keep up the idiocy. Oh, and the page loads fine.

elander_

Arbiter
While the world is level based, it is also using a “tethering system.” What that means is that if you are a level 1 character and enter a level 8 area, the area will be level 8 to you. But if you are a level 15 character (the level cap is 20, according to Bethesda) and enter that same level 8 area for the first time, it will move up and appear as a level 12 area. Whatever your level, once you enter a zone, the zone will be locked at that level. If your level 1 character runs through that level 8 zone, but you leave immediately and then come back to it as a level 15, it will still be a level 8 zone.

Didn't they say that there would be no level scaling? I wonder what's going to happen when i enter that poor small town at level 15. The rats will start using power-armor. :shock:

Texas Red

Whiner
elander_ said:
While the world is level based, it is also using a “tethering system.” What that means is that if you are a level 1 character and enter a level 8 area, the area will be level 8 to you. But if you are a level 15 character (the level cap is 20, according to Bethesda) and enter that same level 8 area for the first time, it will move up and appear as a level 12 area. Whatever your level, once you enter a zone, the zone will be locked at that level. If your level 1 character runs through that level 8 zone, but you leave immediately and then come back to it as a level 15, it will still be a level 8 zone.

Didn't they say that there would be no level scaling? I wonder what's going to happen when i enter that poor small town at level 15. The rats will start using power-armor. :shock:

Why are they trying to change anything anyway? I thought that it was universally accepted that Oblivion is a perfect game.

kiintlord

Novice
It is very easy to include area and level scaling. Carefully balancing the game would eat precious resources presently cleverly assigned to bullet-time and imershiv FPP.

Fuck this, it's a lost cause. If only previewers where a bit less stupid or ignorant, take your pick.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm glad when I'm drinking from a filthy toilet I'll be able to see true reflections and refractions in the bowl, otherwise it would just be silly.

elander_

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Why are they trying to change anything anyway? I thought that it was universally accepted that Oblivion is a perfect game.

And apparently they didn't change their marketing bullshit either. Anything we say today can be bullshit tomorrow and every boot licker journalist will love it.

aries202

Erudite
:lol:

Apparently, water density is the new soil erosion :lol:

Seriously, though, sometimes it seems as if game journalists deliberately misunderstands everything about a game...

denizsi

Arcane
Bets are on for the ultimate fight of water effects: BioShock vs. Fallout 3; Ken Levine vs. Tod Howard.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HanoverF said:
I'm glad when I'm drinking from a filthy toilet I'll be able to see true reflections and refractions in the bowl, otherwise it would just be silly.

If the toilets look like those from Postal², will you be able to use the shit for nutrition? I mean, before you starve...

Or can you put the shit into that rock-it launcher and use it as ammunition?

Joe Krow

Erudite
Yeah. Pete Hines sucks as a Marketing Director because he's so fucking good at it. He has the journalists and the consumers in the palm of his hand because he is an idiot. Marketing guys should worry about more than sales, like ethics and stuff, and what you idiots think.

@Elhoim- Thanks.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Woohoo! Exploding head and Chuck Norris screenshots! :D

@ Joe Crow: "I am a dumbfucked because I refused to kill my principles."

It should be "I am a dumbfuck because I refused to kill my principles." or "I was dumbfucked because I refused to kill my principles."

BTW, I love your sig: "Jesus saves! The rest of you take damage."

RGE

Liturgist
elander_ said:

I guess they learned as little as they possibly could. They learned that people in general thought that it was quite silly that you apparently could beat Oblivion at level 1, so they just raise the minimum level for some areas, to make people level up like they're supposed to. That people also seem to think that bandits in power armor is silly seems to have slipped them by. In a podcast I listened to, a mainstream gamer (I suppose, what do I really know?) complained about stupid Oblivion assassination quests that paid 100 gold when he had 50,000 gold. I think the Bethesda Softworks suits could teach the developers a thing or two about eco-nom-ics. It's more than just three short words that you put together! :roll:

Bradylama

Arcane
Monetary gain shouldn't be a problem when you go back and perform early-game tasks. The problem is that there's no other cause for incentive, like experience or reputation. It's just baubles and doohickeys.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
Bethesda took everything it learned in creating Oblivion and is applying it to Fallout to create a true role-playing epic.

No wonder this game is shaping up to be a major disaster... :roll:

denizsi

Arcane
@ Joe Crow: "I am a dumbfucked because I refused to kill my principles."

It should be "I am a dumbfuck because I refused to kill my principles." or "I was dumbfucked because I refused to kill my principles."

I might be wrong but I believe the usage of "I'm a dumbfucked" is also correct.

edit: removed the dumbfuck insult

Koby

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
It's still true to the Fallout spirit, right?
This is useless.

Todd speaks the language of teh game journalist -

Todd: action, action, 3D RPG
GJ: Wow, this is going to be a great RPG.

Todd: action, violence, 3D RPG

Todd: violence, 3D, PPS RPG

Todd: violence, violence, FPS RPG

Todd: FPS ,FPS, FPS, FPS RPG

Just accept the fact that for game journalists RPG is a sub genre of action games and move on.

Lumpy

Arcane
The year is 2077 and Earth is rebuilding in the wake of nuclear devastation.
Well, they sure didn't waste any time hiding in the vaults. Not that they'd have any reason to, considering that radiation only cleans up the land and poissens toilet water.

Black

Arcane
It's a damned shame they're not trying to overwhelm us with superior gameplay and general Fallout fell.
Todd: Fuck, shit, motherfucker, boobs!
GJ: True Fallout sequel *cries*.

Koby

Scholar
Black said:
It's a damned shame they're not trying to overwhelm us with superior action and general Fallout fell.
fixed.

If you don't understand the scoring systems in game sites, whenever you see gameplay replace it with action, and it will all make sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom