Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bethesda nails Fallout

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168965>That's what CVG says</a>, and being professional journalists, I'm sure they know what they are talking about.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Bethesda appears to have nailed it. Even the part of this game before you come to the surface, with its wrecked Eastern seaboard, sounds like a slice of RPG genius.</blockquote>Looks like the author decided to skip foreplay and jump straight to the blowjob part.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> The game is causing the expected grumbling in the Fallout community, but for my part, I certainly didn't expect so many of the hallmarks of Fallout's gameplay to be returning. The SPECIAL system remains with its perks and traits. </blockquote>Can you guys believe it? The SPECIAL is in! It's such a relief to know that this game has seven stats, and not six or eight. Now we know that it's still Fallout.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It's still Fallout, but a Fallout adapted to better suit our tastes and times.</blockquote>Sounds awfully pretentious.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Bossman.

DiverNB

Liturgist
And by "better suited to our times" does he mean tailored to fucktards?

Vault Dweller said:
Looks like the author decided to skip foreplay and jump straight to the blowjob part.
You mean the blowjob isn't the foreplay? Then what's foreplay for the blowjob? Massaging?

Either way, the title made me think that there would be a picture of Pete Hines raping Vault Boy.

Hellraiser said:
Does anybody else find it disturbing that the majority of news posts since the teaser was released are about Fallout 3 and journalist retards?
Bethesda has won.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That's PCZone, for clarity, not CVG. They're just hosted on CVG in an unclear way, but it's PCZone.

PC Zone's next issue will have a big preview. I'm a bit curious to see what they have to say, Will Porter, who's writing it, is good people, and a real good old fan of Fallout. He did a great nostalgic piece with some of the original devs about 3 years ago

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
They're perfectly right, there's no doubt about it. Bethesda NAILED Fallout. They're pulling their weight to hammer even more nails in the series' coffin, after all.

psycojester

Arbiter
I love the amount of off the cuff sledging of Fallout fans in these previews.

Nedrah

Erudite
Hellraiser said:
Does anybody else find it disturbing that the majority of news posts since the teaser was released are about Fallout 3 and journalist retards?

Yes. As I wrote in another thread today, I think it'd be nice if we could stop the free FO3 publicity (I thought it was common sense that especially when it comes to hype machinerie, bad publicity is still publicity). I understand there may not be that much to report on, but 1) get someone to cover AOD a bit, in the news, and 2) ask some of those guys you did that (in)famous indie dev interview with to write some small articles about their games, the indie scene or whatever - hell, I'm definitely more interested in news about random roguelikes I don't play than in another FO3 piece.

Also, please consider the following:

If I was interested in what the worst idiots that mainstream media has to offer have to say, I'd visit their sites!

caliban

Scholar
Bethesda appears to have nailed it.

Nailed indeed. To a fucking cross :roll:

Seriously, I can't see why these guys bother to write anything at all? They could just copy-paste some shit from Beth's presspack or whatever the PR gave them, since clearly all they ever write is exactly the same shit, only rephrased. So why waste time actually writing? Time is money, after all.

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, I hear those previews have electrolytes in them.

Previews are what gamers want.

Sorry.

elander_

Arbiter
"Well, I hear those previews have electrolytes in them.
Previews are what gamers want.
Sorry."

Gamers have nothing to do with it. They didn't even come close to the demo. Hell neither these game journalists were allowed to have a sample of the Fallout 3 demo. They just watched while Todd was playing in god mode blowing mutant heads and making mini-mushroom clouds with fatman. Was he playing the game or what was he doing?

Nedrah

Erudite
I wasn't so much talking about this particular case. More about how there might be a slightly lower amount of idiotic (p)reviews if there were fewer morons who are perfectly content with the game idiocracy they're spoonfed. Meh, whatever, I don't like the way this reads.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
SPESHUL is IN!!!111

Funny how all those retarded journalists are repeating this all the time to prove that they 'know' something about Fallout.

There's no better prove of the fact that they know nothing about the Fallouts and propably never played them.
Have you ever discussed a movie or book with someone who had obviously only seen/read the beginning of it yet pretends he knows it? This person will concentrate on some minor important scene at the beginning of the movie/book because that's all he has seen and he isn't able to come up with anything significant.
Those 'journalists' remind me very much of that.

Who the fuck cares about SPESHUL? Its actually one of the less important parts of Fallout. They could take any other class-less skill based system and adapt it or invent their own and call it R.E.T.A.R.D or so, it wouldn't make any difference.

As if Perks or anything else in Fallouts rule system would be exclusive to special(tm)

But at least those journalist whores can pretend to be hardcore to the retard crowd by saying "it has special!!!11 lol fallout iz back"

gc051360

Scholar
They were surprised that the foundation of character creation in Fallout made it in to Fallout 3?

What about the times outgrew a list of 7 generic stats?

And yes. That did sound very pretentious.

almondblight

Arcane
I loved the guy some previews back who said he had a hard time figuring out a way to fit Special into these modern times, but somehow Bethesda managed to do it, the real fans that they are. I mean, hell, Oblivion had about the same stats except with Willpower (judging based on the FAQ; it looks like Agility = Perception and Speed = Agility). Did anyone give a damn about it?

Section8

Cipher
It's still Fallout, but a Fallout adapted to better suit our tastes and times.

This troubles me, but at the end of the day, I can take some solace in it. Sooner or later, these fucktards will realise that their "tastes" and beliefs are founded upon the genetic matter spewed forth from the gnarled members of publishers onto their collective faces - and that it is deeply corrupted. They'll get sick of games, because games will get even less original, and maybe, just maybe, they'll feel the slightest pang of the same bitterness we all have. Maybe they'll even lament the fucking idiots who take their jobs because they still like shiny, vapid game content.

Keldorn

Scholar
Obviously FO3 will be better because it's in magnificent 3D (Eye Candy Standard 101).

Obviously, FO3 will be better because it FORCES the narrow, one-eyed STRAW perspective (AKA the FPS view) on everyone (ECS101)... which does the magnificent thing of ERADICATING peripheral viision. It's great to be weaving and turning your way around corners !!!! .... rather than playing in the OBSOLETE (ECS101) Isometric perspective from FO1&2, which is obviously totally lame (to juvenile pea-brains hooked on the straw perspective).

Who the heck wants to see their party and surroundings from above, from the bird's eye view !!!??? Maybe a dumb BIRD.

ALL HAIL THE FPS PERSPECTIVE !!!!! GIVE US QUAKE, DOOM, DUKENUKEM and UNREAL TOURNAMENT IN A FALLOUT SETTING.... SO TOTALLY COOL AND FUN !!!!!

AND GIVE US THOSE AWESOME ARROWS WHICH GUIDE THE FIRSTPERSON CLICKFEST !!!!!! YIPPPEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!

WHOA .......... MAKE WAY ....... IT"S TIME TO ***SWERVE*** AND ***CLICK***.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Keldorn wrote:
Obviously, FO3 will be better because it FORCES the narrow, one-eyed STRAW perspective (AKA the FPS view) on everyone (ECS101)... which does the magnificent thing of ERADICATING peripheral viision. It's great to be weaving and turning your way around corners !!!! .... rather than playing in the OBSOLETE (ECS101) Isometric perspective from FO1&2, which is obviously totally lame (to juvenile pea-brains hooked on the straw perspective).
The Terminator 2029 '92 3D RT
TES Arena '94 3D RT
TES Daggerfall '96 3D RT
It's what Bethesda do, it's what they've always done, and somewhat older than:

Fallout '97 ISO TB.

I think the true problem is what was stated in that retro Fallout article. The original developers made games for adults whereas Bethesda are firmly setting their sights on the preteen market (which apparently in America is written 'M for mature'). The lack of profit in AO titles obviously means that American adults do not play computer games...

Or that idiocracy film was actually a documentary not a comedy.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:

Yeah, just like they nailed true role-playing with Oblivion...

Fuck this FO3 bs! I guess we should be thankful for having had the opportunity to play some great games like Fallout or PS:T... cause I think we will not get our hands on games of that quality anytime soon... :cry:

Nedrah

Erudite
fastpunk said:
Vault Dweller said:

Yeah, just like they nailed true role-playing with Oblivion...

Fuck this FO3 bs! I guess we should be thankful for having had the opportunity to play some great games like Fallout or PS:T... cause I think we will not get our hands on games of that quality anytime soon... :cry:

The games you are speaking of are well within indie reach by now, seen from a technichal viewpoint. It's more a matter of content creation and one or two guys with a real vision by now, imo. It's not all doom and gloom, although it may still hurt our souls a bit that we have been dropped by the big publishers. Everyone propably remembers that crpgs of the old style were once where technical inovation and big business money (/dev funds) were.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Nedrah said:
The games you are speaking of are well within indie reach by now, seen from a technichal viewpoint.

Absolutely. But making what is "in reach" does not make a masterpiece...

Nedrah said:
It's more a matter of content creation and one or two guys with a real vision by now, imo. It's not all doom and gloom, although it may still hurt our souls a bit that we have been dropped by the big publishers.

Yes, you are right but having lost the support of big publishers and devs is definitely a bad sign, not just hurt in our souls. And indie devs, while having great ideas, lack the human and tech resources to make them come true. This is what I call "the choke method": indie devs die because of lack of fundings (some make it big, yes, but by making "trendy" games...) while big time publishers are willing to do anything in order to make money... thus leading to the slow death of the genre. So what I'm trying to say is that it's more doom and gloom than people are willing to admit and ultimately, I'm saying: be thankful for what you've got and stop bothering with shit like FO3.

Nedrah

Erudite
fastpunk said:
So what I'm trying to say is that it's more doom and gloom than people are willing to admit and ultimately, I'm saying: be thankful for what you've got and stop bothering with shit like FO3.

Fair enough, I absolutely agree on the FO3 point. You're also right in that we are in big trouble as far as getting the amount of at least decent games that other genres are receiving goes. However, we've been through the "We're all doomed, RPGs are dead!" thing pretty extensively throughout the last two years. It simply appears to me that at the moment we do, for a change, have more to look forward to than Jeff Vogel repeating himself once again. So, yeah, we may be pretty doomed (although, looking at the past, we might assume or at least hopethat at some point our tastes might become more fashionable again).
But there may still be some more fun in going down than we could have hoped for, say, a year or two ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom