Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher hands-on preview at RPG Watch

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com>RPG Watch</a> had some fun playing <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/>The Witcher</a>'s beta. <a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=65&ref=0&id=66>Click here</a> to read the first part of their impressions:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Citizens get up in the morning and head to work or their usual haunts, old women sweep the streets, children play hopscotch and soldiers sharpen their blades or practice swordfighting. Inns are busy and noisy with drinking, gambling and boxing matches. Not since the Gothic series have we seen such a realistic, living world steeped in atmosphere. There’s even some sense of context (although it’s hard to tell how far this goes): when it started raining in the city outskirts most of the villagers crowded under cover and I counted a dozen or so different comments such as “horrible weather”, “not rain!” and “quite the storm”. Each of the locations we’ve seen so far has a genuine “lived in” feeling – for instance, a swamp is typically just an excuse for monster hordes but The Witcher adds authenticity with a small, dirty brickmaking community working claypits and loggers taking advantage of the trees.</blockquote>Very nice.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The main quest so far has centred on the investigation into the attackers on Kaer Morhen. <u>While there has been a passing mention of an ancient prophecy, the story has been refreshingly rooted in politics and crime, rather than the typical fantasy fare of evil mages and meddlesome gods. Contemporary themes such as racism, prejudice and terrorism are clearly reflected in the story and quests as the trail illuminates elves and dwarves fighting against xenophobia with guerrilla warfare and petty local crime underpinning a drug-running operation.</u></blockquote>Just how fucking awesome that is?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The consequences range from changes in the story, to pursuing a different line of quests to finding an alternative solution to simply paying a bribe. Of course, with this design philosophy it’s entirely possible that the choice to do a particular quest (or turn it down, for that matter) may have unknowingly shunted our current game down a different but yet to be revealed track. All that said, it’s important not to paint The Witcher as some sort of medieval action Fallout. This is an innovative – even brave – design choice but not every quest supports multiple solutions and each choice we’ve seen is binary. We understand there are some 12 or so major decision points throughout the game and with six chapters and two story episodes in each chapter, it looks to us like there is probably one major plot branch in each story sub-arc, as well as a solid sprinkling of other quests with choices or different approaches.</blockquote>With the Witcher and MotB Fall 2007 suddenly seems like the best RPG season we've had in years.
<br>
<br>

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Vault Dweller said:
Citizens get up in the morning and head to work or their usual haunts, old women sweep the streets, children play hopscotch and soldiers sharpen their blades or practice swordfighting. Inns are busy and noisy with drinking, gambling and boxing matches. Not since the Gothic series have we seen such a realistic, living world steeped in atmosphere. There’s even some sense of context (although it’s hard to tell how far this goes): when it started raining in the city outskirts most of the villagers crowded under cover and I counted a dozen or so different comments such as “horrible weather”, “not rain!” and “quite the storm”. Each of the locations we’ve seen so far has a genuine “lived in” feeling – for instance, a swamp is typically just an excuse for monster hordes but The Witcher adds authenticity with a small, dirty brickmaking community working claypits and loggers taking advantage of the trees.

Wow. Thank you for this link, VD. Even if the game has sucky twitch combat I am already sure to buy it just because of this. I love walking through a lively fantasy world, and this will give me many fond memories of days past - Ultima 7, Gothic, Morrowind (just art-design). Great news!

MasPingon

Arcane
I was loosing my faith in this game, but this article gave me hope. It actually makes me want to play this game NOW!*goes kill the time playing Gothic 2*

crakkie

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
With the Witcher and MotB Fall 2007 suddenly seems like the best RPG season we've had in years.
And Eschalon entering its final beta and Depth of Peril's recent release (supposedly much better than its demo). Add to that the general dissatisfaction with action RPGs and TES knock-offs in the mainstream press and major review sites revisiting their opinions about Oblivion.. THEIR LINES ARE WEAKENING!! TO ARMS!!

AnalogKid

Scholar
crakkie said:
Depth of Peril's recent release (supposedly much better than its demo).
Well, DoP is a straight-up action "RPG" with a layer of direct competition added on top. It's a blast and I love playing it, but it definitely doesn't qualify as the kind of RPG that the Codex would trumpet as hand-job-worthy.

Depending on how lazy VD is, though ;), adding AoD in the spring could give a solid 6 months of damn fine gaming coming up. Get the vasoline ready, boys...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This will likely be a good game. But, not surprising, since it uses the AWESOME Aurora Engine. HAHAHAHA!

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
At times the Aurora Engine shines through but at others it looks far superior to anything Biowares and/or Obsidian did with the engine. Of course until we actually load it up and play it on our systems (with all the bells and whistles turned up) will we truly see just how factual some of the screen shots are. I hope it's all true, screens and listed features. Because this game looks like an instant classic if the hype is based in reality... not developer's wishful thinking.

That said the latest shots just don't look as fancy as the previous media release shots did. But they were using a lot of motion blur and bloom on some of them. If it runs well with that stuff turned on it's fine. If not no biggie. I don't want another shiny shallow cRPG. Not that I think it applies here. What I'm getting at is... as long as the graphics are good they will suffice. Needless to say a lot of us will not be playing this game for the graphics alone.

I've been following this one off and on for far too long to remember (years) and I've had it pre-ordered for quite some time now. After reading this hands-on I am even more excited. We will be getting another deep cRPG soon.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
PJ, the Aurora is more than just a graphics engine. I fully expect The Witcher's combat to be similiar to the NWN series' combat style.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
With the Witcher and MotB Fall 2007 suddenly seems like the best RPG season we've had in years.

I hate to say I told you so :P

@Volly
Erm... Nope.
Shawn Andritch said:
Rather than clicking for each swing, The Witcher relies on a single click to get an attack rolling, with another timed click to string together combos until your enemy is dead or you screw up. This extends even further to clicking smoothly among multiple enemies to dance from one to the next with your swords. To add some variety, there are also different stances that can be switched to on the fly depending on the enemies you’re facing. The right mouse button can unleash a fire blast or other magic attacks between weapon strikes.
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/34144

MasPingon

Arcane
Volourn said:
PJ, the Aurora is more than just a graphics engine. I fully expect The Witcher's combat to be similiar to the NWN series' combat style.

That's right dear Watson, in both we use mouse to attack. There similarities ends

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Rather than clicking for each swing, The Witcher relies on a single click to get an attack rolling, with another timed click to string together combos until your enemy is dead or you screw up. This extends even further to clicking smoothly among multiple enemies to dance from one to the next with your swords. To add some variety, there are also different stances that can be switched to on the fly depending on the enemies you’re facing. The right mouse button can unleash a fire blast or other magic attacks between weapon strikes."

Outside of combos, this sopund how Aurora basically works. You only have to click once to attack an enemy, and then your avatar will go onto the next unless you use a special ability or stop for whatever reason. Nice try, though. NWN/NWN2 also have stances and special attacks aka 'combos'.

btw, I never said they'd be EXACTLY alike; but I have no dobt they'll be similiar.

R00fles!

P.S. Watch the videos, and I say case closed.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Goddamn, it's been awhile since I've seen one good rpg in a year. Now with motb I had the best rpg experience in recent years. Lets just hope the witcher will be number two.

I like what I see. Living world (last good one was in gothic 2, before that ultima 7.2. Talk about ancient history), choices with some real consequences and a good non standard storyline (and the last one of those was in Torment) It sounds like a winner so far. Will have to see how the combat is, and how it will play out. But my hopes are high.

Now imagine, if mass effect will be any good, then this is the best year for rpg gamers since.....

MasPingon

Arcane
Outside of combos, this sopund how Aurora basically works. You only have to click once to attack an enemy, and then your avatar will go onto the next unless you use a special ability or stop for whatever reason.

As you said- watch the videos. You click lmb to attack an enemy, after the hit Geralt stops. You need to click secound time to attack again. One click-> one hit. To make combos you need to have a good timing and click on the enemy in the proper time. That's how it works

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Sir_Brennus said:
@Volly
Erm... Nope.
Shawn Andritch said:
Rather than clicking for each swing, The Witcher relies on a single click to get an attack rolling, with another timed click to string together combos until your enemy is dead or you screw up. This extends even further to clicking smoothly among multiple enemies to dance from one to the next with your swords. To add some variety, there are also different stances that can be switched to on the fly depending on the enemies you’re facing. The right mouse button can unleash a fire blast or other magic attacks between weapon strikes.
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/34144

Sounds like Vagrant Story.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I've really enjoyed it so far but I want to be careful overselling it. As I say - it's no Fallout. There are definitely choices and consequences (and how many RPGs actually have that?) but there are plenty of standard "get this" quests with no options. It's also very hard to say just how prevalent the bribe and gift options are and whether there are other approaches - or if bribing someone just replaces a set dialogue option.

That said, the I really like that the story actually changes - even if there are only a limited number of these nodes.

I hope the linearity opens up as promised - we'll have to see.

I think some of you will be less enthusiastic about the character stuff - should be up on Friday, I hope.

Oh, Volourn - other than using a mouse, I really don't see any similarity in the combat. ;)

MasPingon

Arcane
That said, the I really like that the story actually changes - even if there are only a limited number of these nodes.

So there are 12 "big" choices, 2 in each chapter? Do you have to choose always between two paths? Are there any quests, which you can complete only by a dialog?(something like a "detective"quest in KOTOR) How the dialog trees looks like? Btw thx for a great preview, waiting for more

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sounds promising. Definitely my number one on the 'what to purchase by the end of the year' list.
Whether or not it will deliver on the promises remains to be seen, it is likely I shall wait for the Codex review before buying the game.

As for now, I intend to sweeten the time of waiting for the Witcher by devoting my spare time to playing MotB.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Some of you are talking/typing as if you already have MotB. Am I missing something?

EB Games claims the ninth as the ship date.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It hit Europe last week for some odd reasons. Maybe they are beta testing it on the savages? Anyway, apparently the game is the second coming of Jesus, and I'm doing my best to believe that and spread the rumors further.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
It hit Europe last week for some odd reasons. Maybe they are beta testing it on the savages? Anyway, apparently the game is the second coming of Jesus, and I'm doing my best to believe that and spread the rumors further.

Vault Dweller contributing to hype without playing the game? MADNESS!

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Damn the unwashed masses.... or Europeans, anyway. I'm actually jealous. Oh, well. They have been shafted by so many regular delays over the years it's good to see them getting a few early releases now.

They actually get ET:QW a week or more before us also. :shock:

Looks like they will be getting the uncensored version of The Witcher also. But we the fragile in North America will be forced to order from abroad or an Import version from GoGamer if we want to get all the adult oriented content. :?

What the hell is the world coming to?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom