Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Our Mask of the Betrayer review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

I've finished Obsidian's Mask of the Betrayer twice and was pleasantly surprised at how good and well-crafted the game was. Allow me to share <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=159>my excitement</a> with you:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>That’s where the game starts to shine so brightly that you completely forget about any flaws the game has and get lost in a well crafted gameworld. It’s like a dream come true – a non-linear game loaded with well-written dialogues, interesting quests, more choices than you can handle, and enough consequences and to make the game highly replayable. It’s hard to imagine a better feature list.
<br>
<br>
I can't stress it enough. The choices are everywhere. There are plenty of consequences. What you did may even cost party members their lives. Many characters respond to and recognize your choices, commenting on what you did and affecting your gameplay. I couldn't believe how many opportunities to do things differently the game offers.</blockquote>If you'd like to comment, please do it in <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20994>this thread.</a>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Callaxes

Arbiter
Jora said:
So that we wouldn't have two threads where people are discussing the same topic simultaneously.

Ok thanks. By the way, while we are on the subject, can someone tell me how to program a VCR?

Keldorn

Scholar
Good thread.

I almost thought they had stopped putting strawberries on the oatmeal, but it's good to know this is indeed DELUXE, FORTIFIED OATMEAL.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I agree, it comes off too fanboy-ish. The review itself is only getting a free ride because it's from the Codex, from anywhere else it would be either ridiculed or ignored. It's really hard to supress gushing when you really love a game; I should know, I do it here all the time whenever I play something I like.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Can someone tell me if MotB should be played after NWN2 OC or it doesn't matter?

Vault Dweller

Developer
aweigh said:
I agree, it comes off too fanboy-ish. The review itself is only getting a free ride because it's from the Codex, from anywhere else it would be either ridiculed or ignored.
First of all, all reviews are very positive. The main issue there is the low rates the reviewers give the game, *despite* all the praises - "Mask of the Betrayer is quite possibly the most original, and best, Dungeons & Dragons game since the days of Baldur's Gate II and PlaneScape: Torment." - 7/10! WTF?

Second, I presented my position. If you see some weak or "fanboy-ish" points, attack them or at least point them out. Stating that the review is fanboy-ish simply because it's positive is kinda silly.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It'd be great if the Codex could get rid of double threads for articles. When threads are moved, a link usually remains in the original location, so it shouldn't be a problem having News and Content link to the same thread, or should it?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Couldn't you just include a link in your first post, like you did here, and then lock the thread?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I don't disagree with any of the points presented in the interview at all, however the overuse of cursing and the generally too-good-to-be-true vibe make it seem fanboy-ish. Even if the game deserves all the accolades you accord it, (which I also think it does), I don't think such unmitigated praise belongs in a critical review. (Or the cursing.)

I haven't attacked or tried to argue any of the points in the review itself because I agree with all of them. Perhaps you could've chosen some better examples of why the game executes feature X so well, but in the end it's not necessary.

EDIT: So yeah, to sum it up I do think a review is fanboy-ish simply because its language enthuses an overly positive message, or even worse, a cry for the reader to share the reviewer's opinion and buy the game. Such a thing is only as silly as an overly negative review which delights in underlining poor aspects of a game.

galsiah

Erudite
aweigh said:
...an overly positive message...
Why "overly" positive? So long as the positivity is based on solid grounds, how is it "overly" positive?
...or even worse, a cry for the reader to share the reviewer's opinion and buy the game.
Why is this a bad thing?

It's not a detached, objective review, to be sure: it's a passionate, subjective review. So what? The primary importance is that the most significant points are made, and that those points are based on solid fact + valid argument.

If all you mean by "fanboy-ish" is "very positive + appeals to support the game", then that's hardly a criticism. My understanding is that fanboyism consists of baseless, unsupported, impervious-to-critical-argument positivity. That is clearly a problem. A passionate, subjective review is not a problem - so long as it presents facts and arguments to back up the points made.

Perhaps you think that there are significant negatives which VD doesn't cover in the review. In that case, please point them out. If you can't think of any, why should praise be mitigated? Positive criticism isn't improved by the manufacture of spurious negatives, simply to appear "balanced".

aries202

Erudite
All of the reviews I have read for Mask of The Betrayer (obsidian 2007) are also very positive.

VD's review start of a little on the weird side ;) I think, mentioning Plansescape: Torment, but I guess he did this to compare MotB with Torment :?: just to say that he thinks that Mask of the Betrayer is at par with PLansescape: Torment in its shining uniqueness. At least I hoope that that's the reason behind the idea of starting the review this way :?:

A review is supposed to be a subjective experience of the game, and it can be a good review or a bad review. Just to compare a recent released adventure game got a 5.0 from gamespot, while we at the adventure community probably would have given it a 7.5-8.0 just because we care more about the adventure game genre than sites like gamespot.

VD cares for true rpg games where there is stat cheks, skills and balances and c&c really means something as to the outcome of the game's story. I find nothing wrong with him praising MotB if it indeed lives up to all these things that both he (and the Codex) sees as true 'role-playing'. Fan-boyism is, at I see it, unsubstantiated love for a game or a company without being critical of said company -- at any time. I like e.g. Bioware's games, but I can certainly also see what's wrong with Bioware's games, including Mass Effect.

A very subjective, yet passionate review about a game, e.g. MotB, isn't fan-buyism at all. It is just VD's opinion on the game with which you, of course, are free to disagree on, if you so choose. However, expect us (and I) to ask what YOUR opinion on MotB is, and where you disagree with VD's review of MotB. This is, afterall the Codex, where unsoliited opinions aren't taken at face value, since we expect to back up your opionions with clear, and logically consistents arguments (reasons) for your opinions. Such is the Codex ;)

Monolith

Prophet
Whatever you write, aries, I've always got the feeling that you're writing for 5 years old little children. Partly because of your obsessive overuse of smilies, but not only...

Vault Dweller

Developer
galsiah said:
If all you mean by "fanboy-ish" is "very positive + appeals to support the game", then that's hardly a criticism. My understanding is that fanboyism consists of baseless, unsupported, impervious-to-critical-argument positivity. That is clearly a problem. A passionate, subjective review is not a problem - so long as it presents facts and arguments to back up the points made.
Exactly.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Though I have yet to finish the game for my first run through it... well actually I am taking my sweet time because its as good as VD says... and the only complaints I have are the camera (again) and the spells being overly bright. At times you can't even locate your party members during combat because the bloom and/or light on my LCD are blinding. But that is more an LCD thing, darks are darker and lights are brighter.

I can/do over-look those few little things since the story-line is fresh and unexpected. I think his Review hits it out of the park which may be a little much for some but it's also natural when you enjoy something to this degree to express that feeling.

It is a great game. No doubt about it. I hope the previews/reviews of the Witcher are also honest and from the heart. Because they point to another great experience as far as the story-line and the game-world are concerned. The combat may irritated or drive some away but it did the same in the Gothic series and those games were great.

My copy of the Witcher is delayed apparently... damned GoGamer. Not sure why but they have changed the NA release date for the Import three times now. The latest was an e-mail notice that the game would not be reaching me until the first week of November. Wishing I would have ordered from the UK now... but on the bright side I still need to finish MotB. The problem is real-life keeps getting in my way.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Combat is supposed to be the main strength of The Witcher, so I hope it is well done or gets patched to the point where it is enjoyable.

Is NWN2 worth getting now that it has received a slew of patches?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom