Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IndieGamer talks to Jeff Vogel

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Geneforge 2; Spiderweb Software

<b>Jeff Vogel</b> of <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com>Spiderweb Software</a> fame has done an <a href=http://www.indiegamer.com/features/aug/spiderweb.htm>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.indiegamer.com>IndieGamer</a>. Vogel and the folks at Spiderweb are hard at work finishing up Geneforge 2 for Windows PC right now.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> My competition is single-player rpgs of all sizes, and those are currently on the down slide. Less new games, of less quality than there was a few years ago. I'm not sure about other small indie people competing with me. I don't really think about competitors, though. A popular rpg that makes new people like the genre makes new customers for me. As for what I play, I play Everquest. Period. It is genuinely sad.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I love Jeff Vogel, I really do, but he makes it hard. He starts strong with zings on BioWare and other lazy RPG developers but then confesses to an EQ habit. Poor Jeff.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Jeff Vogel said:
Our biggest hit was Exile 3. It was huge, it was innovative, it was really fun, and it hit the market at exactly the right time.

I thought Geneforge was their biggest hit to date. Guess not.

I'm not sure. Baldur's Gate 2 was just too good.

Because unlike BG2, Geneforge wasn't designed for chimpanzes who require a complete lack of consequences for actions(Just pay the temple), automated combat, lots of forced combat as the outcome to everything, and so on.

have absolutely no idea. I live in those sort of shut-in fantasy world, free of marketing research, target audiences, or anything else real people do. I throw out the game, and collect credit card numbers. For all I know, my games only ever sell to septugenerian eskimos. I'm not proud of this. I'm not saying this is the best way to live. But here we are.

I think this is another reason why I like Spiderweb's games more than most commercial releases. Marketting research seems on the trend of saying MAKE YUOR GAEMS 4 DUMMIES WIFF ATENSHUN DEFISET DESORDAR which looks like it's leading to a lot of flops, even from the big names like Black Isle Studios.

I've lived a very blessed existance. I've had to face very few challenges. Probably the worst thing has been dealing emotionally with the occasional, inevitable sales slumps. My employees are forbidden from telling me how many games we're selling from day to day, good news or bad. When sales are good, I don't get excited. When sales are bad, I feel terrible. So now I just hide.

Well, to date, Jeff Vogel has earned $120 of my money, and there's $60 more headed his way within the next six to eight months.

I don't think any of our games will ever be sold in boxes. They're too niche and too old-school. Plus, people at big companies tend to look at shareware developers and think either "sucker" or "loser". Which means that I'm unlikely to get an offer that is even minimally acceptable.

Which is a good reason why most of them are in debt. I pitched the idea of hiring Jeff Vogel and two dedicated artists to make games for a publisher once. Think about it. Jeff Vogel can crank out nearly two games per year, right? Even at retail with $20 a box, I'd say there's room for profit there. With two artists dedicated to just making his games prettier..

Geneforge 2 is done. Blades of Avernum will be out ina few months. And then we'll start 2 more games. We have the people-power.

Just as long as those aren't Geneforge Tactics and Geneforge Enforcer.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'm not sure. Baldur's Gate 2 was just too good.

Because unlike BG2, Geneforge wasn't designed for chimpanzes who require a complete lack of consequences for actions(Just pay the temple), automated combat, lots of forced combat as the outcome to everything, and so on.

Still haven't gotten over that Bioware thingie eh? You can say all you want about BG2, but in the end it remains a fun game that many people (including Jeff) really enjoy playing. Really Saint, all this moaning gets rather tiresome and old.

Personally I'm still glad that Vogel is part of a small independent team. No deadlines, except the landlord :wink: and no friggin marketing department to fuck up their ideas.

Geneforge 2 is defenitely way up on the list of games to get.......just a few more months though. Seems like all the great games will start popping up in the winter months.
Oh well,

Trash

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom