Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines official site is up

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Earlier today, the <a href=http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/>the official site for Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines</a> opened. So far, there's nothing but a fancy flash page and a bunch of "COMING SOON" links but we can expect more content soon.
<br>
<br>
So now I have something to link to when someone previews Bloodlines. Whee!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Jed

Cipher
Araanor said:
Neat flash. :)
Yeah, and nicely rendered T&A. Lot's of it. I guess it's unavoidable considering the source material, but eeech, there's a lot of potential for this game to be not good. Will continue with benefit of a doubt, though; will await reviews.

Psilon

Erudite
Which makes us wonder what these guys have been doing. Flash websites are bad enough, but a Flash-enhanced "coming soon" page is inexcusable.

Jed

Cipher
Psilon said:
Which makes us wonder what these guys have been doing. Flash websites are bad enough, but a Flash-enhanced "coming soon" page is inexcusable.
Don't forget the b00bi3z...

protobob

Liturgist
Vampires are so 1996.

Plus the whole Vampires and other Monsters in Las Vegas thing just doesn't do anything for me.

Mehhh.

Voss

Erudite
Gamers are the craziest peoples?

I'm still not sure that a good Vampire: The Masquerade CRPG can be made.
Good Vampire has always required a heavy level of interaction, and I don't think that can be replicated on a computer.

Bad V:tM, on the other hand, is all too easy...

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
A good V:tM ANYTHING is impossible. They are all traitors to everything the Vampire stands for, and they will all burn in hell for thier sins. Someone really should make a great Stokes spinoff that does not totally suck. I am tired of my vampire movies being restrained to Nosferatu and Coppala's Dracula, which *needs improving* upon (namely killing Winona and Keanu).
Vampires should stay in Romania, the Balkans and the Ukraine. If it is not Orthodox or Hungarain, it should NOT have ANYTHING to do with VAMPIRES, unless it is a vampire FROM THAT AREA GOING to somewhere else, a la Dracula.

Voss

Erudite
Eh, CC, pretty much every culture in the entire world has legends that involve blood sucking (usually, but not always, dead) people. Or in the really odd cases, watermelons. Stoker just popularized a particular term from a specific region, tossed in a bunch of sexual metaphors and.... tada. Instant trend.

As with dragon-like creatures, they're pretty much universal to the collective stories and legends of humanity as a whole.

Besides, Vampires don't really stand for much of anything, but what do you expect of something that spends all day kipping in a coffin?
8)

The problem with V:TM is balancing between a whiny angst-fest (I'm immortal and powerful, but I can't ever see the sun again! Wah! Wah!) and a power-gaming dungeon crawl.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Actually, Egyptian vampires might be the oldest, and therefore the most canonical.

Seven

Erudite
DrattedTin said:
Actually, Egyptian vampires might be the oldest, and therefore the most canonical.

Don't forget the Mexican-goat-sucker, he's not very old, but he does smell like a wet dog :!:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Constipated Craprunner said:
Dracula was more then about bloodsucking sexuality; it was about his relationship with the Orthodox God. And that does not work in a Gothic LA.

Now I'm no Anne Rice fan myself, but I'm confused as to why you seem to think that Bram Stoker's Dracula is the only acceptable template for a vampire?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Azael said:
Now I'm no Anne Rice fan myself, but I'm confused as to why you seem to think that Bram Stoker's Dracula is the only acceptable template for a vampire?
As it contained CCs two favorite things, Hungarians and sucking the life out of things :P :shock:

Ausir

Arcane
Actually, vampires were part of all slavic mythologies long before Vlad the Impaler was born.

Jed

Cipher
Ausir said:
Actually, vampires were part of all slavic mythologies long before Vlad the Impaler was born.
Give it up, Ausir--Crappy is t3h f0r3most h1st0ri4n on these here boards!

He's also our Token Angsty Teen, which makes him an authority on VTM!

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
CCR - didn't you in another thread espouse your love for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"? Didn't you in fact proclaim that it "informed" a whole part of your life? Not a huge fan of the show but I have seen it enough times to say it is hardly in keeping with your desire to see vampires kept in NE Europe and Stoker-style traditonal. And talk about whiny angst - yeesh. That is the whole show - which aint half bad but still the angst in that show makes the vampires in Rice look like they are the undead chapter of Up With People.

I guess I am the lone voice of dissent here but I think this game has some real potential. I know dick about the PnP upon which it is based but I like everything I have heard about it so far -vampires, clans, politics, scheming, keeping the "Masquerade" alive, stat based combat, first person RPG (which imo is still begging to be done right), that it is not going to be a twitch run-n-gun affaiir, Troika... all sounds cool to me.
Also the modern setting is way more intriguing to me than yet another medieval setting.

edit: I second (third, whatever): I fucking hate Flash.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Ausir, yes, I should have thought so (do the Poles have thier own vampire epic?), but I do think that south Central Europe (and possible Turkey, Armenia and Georgia) area are perfect for the vampire setting, particularly during the Austrian, Ottoman and Hungarian (pre 1520) Empires.
Dracula was the original vampire in Buffy, even though they had to much new age spirituality.
I think that the Vampire myth is as much about a struggle with God than it is about sex, and that in some ways it is a story of the British Empire, something like the Four Feathers where the Mahdists spout fangs.

Dont call me Angsty. I am not the Anarchist.

Jed

Cipher
Constipated Craprunner said:
Dont call me Angsty. I am not the Anarchist.
Ha, that's real cute, Crappy. Fortunately, anarchy has nothing to do with angst. Sorry buddy, maybe you'll zing me real good next time!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom