Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay reopens development with Jason Anderson on board

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Interplay; Jason Anderson

Yes, it seems Herve Caen has done it again. According to <A HREF="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16236">Gamasutra</A>, the company we really thought would <A HREF="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3126&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">die</A> a long time ago, reopens in-house development, hiring Jason Anderson of Troika fame. (Not to forget, of course, that he worked on the first Fallout game, too.) Here's a funny snippet:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Publisher Interplay has announced its third quarter earnings, showing sales falling 86 percent year over year to just $47,000, a period CEO Herve Caen calls "an important milestone" in its "difficult turnaround," as it reopens in-house development and prepares to launch development of its Fallout MMO.
<br>
<br>
The company's quarterly sales are down sharply from the second quarter, where its sale of the Fallout brand to MMO developer Bethesda saw it take in $5.9 million, a yearly rise of 872 percent.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Caen? Anderson? Hysteric ambivalence ensues.
<br>
<br>
Head <A HREF="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16236">here</A> to read the full story.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamasutra.com/">Gamasutra</A>

Elwro

Arcane
I was stunned myself, but the info that Caen's company would get to create Fallout MMO is known since I think a few months ago. BTW, the budget is supposed to be $75 million.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Holey Moley! This can end in just about any way possible. Here's hoping "in tears" won't be one of them fancy outcomes.

Oh don't go breakin' my heart!
(I couldn't even if I tried!)

yaster

Liturgist
Jason Anderson (..) as creative director not of its Fallout MMO, but of another yet unannounced MMO.

:lol:

What a brilliant move! Totally unexpected from Herve Caen.

Au naturel

Scholar
The whole thing makes me unable to decide whether to laugh or cry.

Jason Anderson? Brilliant!

Herve? Please go away.

I would have even cared about what happened with this except for the part that says 'MMO'.

filogreek

Scholar
Elwro said:
BTW, the budget is supposed to be $75 million.
Well that's if they manage to swindle it out of some retarded investors. I really wouldn't understand why people might even think about giving money to interplay after all their recent troubles.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Is Jason Anderson working on the Fallout MMO? Will they be developing anything else, or has the company been resurrected just to spew out one last travesty?

vrok

Liturgist
So their goal is what? Fail even worse than Bethesda at making a Fallout game? What's the point of bringing in Anderson if not for the Fallout MMO? Add another failure to his career?

Deleted member 7219

Wow, here was me thinking the founding fathers of Fallout had disappeared into the netherworld....

Longshanks

Augur
This could actually be funny, with a Fallout MMO (if it does happen) and a TES MMO, Bethesda could end up expanding the market for their competition, with Fallout single player games.

Hahaha, this is precious :lol:

The company's quarterly sales are down sharply from the second quarter, where its sale of the Fallout brand to MMO developer Bethesda saw it take in $5.9 million, a yearly rise of 872 percent.

CEO Caen said Interplay is "now focused on a two-pronged growth strategy."

Anybody else get the get the image in their mind that 'Interplay' is just Herve madly spewing shit from a lone office?

it has hired former Fallout designer Jason Anderson, who previously left development of Fallout 2 to form Troika Games, as creative director not of its Fallout MMO, but of another yet unannounced MMO.

Yes, assuming he had any choice in it at all I would assume that Jason would have wanted to work on the non-Fallout MMO so as to not tarnish his name. The likelihood of a Fallout MMO being a turd is simply too great.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Holy shit!

I wonder why Jason Anderson would be interested in working for Interplay. And what the fuck is he doing not working on the Fallout MMO? Does he expect it to be so shitty that it doesn't deserve his attention?

Boggles the mind.

In before the story is debunked.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Making Jason Anderson work on an MMO (no matter which one, they all suck by definition) can only be summarized as follows: a total waste of his talent...

Nevertheless, the very thought that he is still working in the industry makes my heart beat faster with joy.

fastpunk

Arbiter
So, Caen is back for another round. He sold everything Interplay had, how dare he come back? And not just anyhow, but with a Fallout MMO. Does he have no shame?

dagorkan

Arbiter
I doubt he plays video games or cares what you nerds think. He's a businessman trying to do business (make money).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"He sold everything Interplay had, how dare he come back?"

Hew owns the company? It's his to do with as he pleases.

Anyways, Interplay simply can't die it seems. At least when Trokia folded they didn't play games.

roshan

Arcane
It's funny that two of the key players behind Fallout/Troika are now working on MMOs.

fastpunk said:
dagorkan said:
I doubt he plays video games or cares what you nerds think. He's a businessman trying to do business (make money).

Yet money keeps avoiding him. Fitting, I guess.

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom