Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Geneforge 5 will be the last one

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

Yesterday's <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com">Spiderweb Software</a> newsletter brings news that the 5th <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge4/index.html">Geneforge</a> title will conclude the series. Not much info is given, though:<blockquote>After Avernum 5 for Windows, we will spend 2008 writing Geneforge 5,the final game in the Geneforge saga. We have begun piecing its storyline together, and we can promise Geneforge fans a truly unique journey.</blockquote>It's also stated that <a href="http://www.avernum.com/avernum5/index.html">Avernum 5</a> for Windows is to be expected in early March, 2008 - if all goes well.
<br>
<br>
After that, it's most certainly Avernum 6, since we know the series is planned to have a second trilogy. But what then? A new setting, finally?

Nedrah

Erudite
A new setting would be nice. But if he will be milking one of his old engines (if you want to use the plural there) again, I'm not sure he needs to bother for me.

spacemoose

Erudite
nah, he'll just rename avernum to "excelcior" or someshit and re-release it all on a new, albeit still shitty in-house engine

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Spacemoose said:
nah, he'll just rename avernum to "excelcior" or someshit and re-release it all on a new, albeit still shitty in-house engine

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Spacemoose said:

lol

FrancoTAU

Cipher
All new engine? Thou dost expect too much. I'd settle for him using the old Exile engine over another game with the current one.

Xi

Arcane
I need to purchase one of these games eventually. Been looking at them for years. Maybe GF5 if it gets decent Codex reviews. Any suggestions?

Lurkar

Scholar
All the Geneforge games are great, though I think 3 was the weakest of them, so I would recommend all of them. Personally, I enjoy them more then Avernum.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Geneforge 1 is fantastic but since you've presumably gone this far without trying the demos, what are the chances you'll finish 4 long games? Just start with Geneforge 4, which is also excellent, and has some nice (if minor) interface and animation tweaks that make it feel a little more friendly.

Andhaira

Arcane
He willprobably make Baldes of Avernum 2 after A6.

Also, the g4 engine is pretty sweet. Fluid animations and all.

wizard

Liturgist
Andhaira said:
He willprobably make Baldes of Avernum 2 after A6.
Nope, he has said that no more BoA type games. Too time consuming and not enough profit coming from those. Heck, BoA almost made him go bankrupt.

btw Jeff posted on his forums that he hopes to make his next series with a new engine that is 3D. That was ages ago though so he might have changed his plan.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd rather have a 2D engine with better looks than the one in Geneforge/Avernum than a shitty 3D engine.

Of course, if he could make or use an engine that gets close to the looks of AoD ... ;)

Sisay

Liturgist
I wouldn't mind a new engine but what I'd really like to see is a new setting. Geneforge 1 was brilliant but 3 games later it's getting a bit old and I'm not even going to start on Exile/Avernum.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
He can keep using 2D all he wants. Just anything different than the current engine that he's been using for 8 years and 10 games.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have no problems with the Geneforge engine.

[Jez]

Novice
For me the Geneforge engine would revert back to melee combat no matter how many times I set spells as default... witch would result in my Shaper using his action points to walk up to the enemies and then get beaten to a bloody pulp when it was their turn... not fun

Severian Silk

Spiderweb said:
unique journey
How can you mispell "epic"? It's got only four letters. :?:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom