Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bethesda will remake a strategy game, says PCGZine

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

A downloadable mag called <a href=http://www.gamerzines.com/pcgzine/">PCGZine</a> has an interview with Pete Hines (download the issue <a href="http://www.gamerzines.com/downloading-pcgzine_13.html">here</a>). Fun starts right at the beginning, as the introductory paragraph boldly states that "The makers of Oblivion become the remakers of <strong>strategy masterpiece</strong> Fallout". Seems someone didn't do their homework before conducting the interview:<blockquote><strong>PCGZine:</strong> Is Fallout 3 an action game, or a strategy game?
<br>
<strong>Pete Hines:</strong> It's a role-playing game. First. Last. Always.</blockquote>We feel your pain, Pete.
<br>
<br>
Here's a bit about taking different paths through the game:<blockquote>At one point of the game, if you're evil the good guys try to kill you, or if you're good the evil guys try to kill you. If you're neutral, everybody leaves you alone. So there are drawbacks and advantages for neutral just as there are for good and evil players, and we've spent a lot of time working on the gameplay options for that "gray" area in between as sometimes the most interesting choices can be found there.</blockquote>I don't think this is what the "grey area" should mean. If the game has clearly defined "good guys" and "bad guys" (as it seems to be the case here), taking the route through the "grey area" means you're striving for the middle of the absolute good/evil scale. On the other hand, if you don't know who's good and who's evil, or perhaps if no one is good in the absolute sense, that's when the things become interesting. And definitely more Fallouty, if you ask me.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elwro said:
Seems someone didn't do their homework before conducting the interview:

Not really. In fact, I think he did too much homework before conducting the interview, hence the question, which makes perfect sense but is just phrased wrong, it should be:

"This is not an RPG. As a hybrid mix-and-match game, will it be closer to strategy or closer to pure action?"

1eyedking

Erudite
Brother None said:
Not really. In fact, I think he did too much homework before conducting the interview, hence the question, which makes perfect sense but is just phrased wrong, it should be:

"This is not an RPG. As a hybrid mix-and-match game, will it be closer to strategy or closer to pure action?"
But what about the "The makers of Oblivion become the remakers of strategy masterpiece Fallout" part? Sounds like 'turn-based game can be exchanged for the 'strategy game' label.

That aside, the question and its answer made me smirk.

covr

Prophet
Patron
"The makers of Oblivion become the remakers of <strong>strategy masterpiece</strong> Fallout"
Bullshit. Everybody knows that fallout 3 will be the best football manager ever.

Texas Red

Whiner
What is this shit? Good guys, bad guys...?! I can see a sadistic boss with anger issues already.

dragonfk

Erudite
You know, I never felt that in Fallout you could be "evil" or "good". You could either tend to your buisness or not, thats all, no paladin behaviours.

Edit: My grammar gets even worse when I am drunk o_O, I didnt think it was possible...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Elwro said:
I don't think anyone's shocked.

And who would be? The only thing that can shock the Codex is Pete saying that FO3 isn't an RPG - Scary.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You know, I never felt that in Fallout you could be "evil" or "good". You could either tend to your buisness or not, thats all, no paladin behaviours."

Huh? You ar edumb. What version of FO did YOU play?

dragonfk

Erudite
Volourn said:
"You know, I never felt that in Fallout you could be "evil" or "good". You could either tend to your buisness or not, thats all, no paladin behaviours."

Huh? You are dumb. What version of FO did YOU play?

The one that wasnt delievered to dumbfucks like you. You should count yourself as a lucky one, if it was it would wipe out your Bioware affections once and for all.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Volourn said:

Still posting for the lulz, eh Volly?

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:

Now Vollycakes, I know youre a nonconfirmist but please... PLEASE.

dragonfk

Erudite
denizsi said:
I noticed that the recent lack of Bethesda-related news on Codex has been refreshing.

And I personally feel hunger for VD sarcastic comments on Bethesda's decisions in news section. You know, when you came to RPGCodex and saw another sarcastic remarks from VD you knew everything was on its place...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
denizsi said:
I noticed that the recent lack of Bethesda-related news on Codex has been refreshing.

There hasn't been much news from Bethesda lately, their media blitz will start up again somewhere next year, until then it'll be slow going.

denizsi

Arcane
And I personally feel hunger for VD sarcastic comments on Bethesda's decisions in news section.

Same here, though not as bad as "hunger". It's like being addicted to chaos, enjoying fun and nonsense, but it's still refreshing when it's a break.

Anaglyph

Novice
Elwro said:
I don't think this is what the "grey area" should mean.

Yeah, it seems as if Bethesda have co-opted the use of "moral grey area" type language in order to make the game seem deeper. The way he's using it is almost the opposite of the way everyone else not trying to sell computer games uses it.

Then again, they do insist on using the word "fatigue" when they mean "energy" so it's par for the course.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I'm not sure why, but I couldn't stop reading. Hah..

I understand you. It's like reading Harry Potter series; you just can't stop. BTW, I'm gonna download FO3 whem it came out, and your sarcastic opinions won't change anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom