Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 preview at HookedGamers

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: Fallout 3

I would like to apologize for the fact that I suck at pointing out obviously-ridiculous positivism with snarky sarcasm, but really, fish in a barrel. Again. I'm sure you'll manage to ridicule choice quotes from this short piece without me pointing them out.
<br>
Anyway, time to open up ye olde wound and get back to our Bethbashing roots, so here's something to get you all started:
<br>
<blockquote>General gameplay aspects are expected to be epic and will reflect Fallout 1 in many respects. One can expect to see high levels of violence and destruction through the Capital Waste. A headshot won’t simply be a shot in the head. It will be a head obliteration.</blockquote>
<br>
<A HREF="http://www.hookedgamers.com/articles/preview/435/fallout_3" target="_blank">If you read it, you can't un-read it</A>.
<br>
<br>

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 1 wasn't epic... at least not in the sense that "EPIC!!!11!1" is meant when Bethesda talks about it.

Also, it seems the "humor" and blood'n'gore are the main features they use for the hype. In Oblivion it was the graphics, in Fallout 3 it's the unbelievable amount of violence and harsh language. By trying to make it immensely adult and mature, they're making it silly.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
In the 200 years after the Great War, no one has stepped foot outside the sanctuary of the vault until your father –voice acted by Liam Neeson- mysteriously leaves one morning.

No, seriously... why THE FUCK Liam Neeson(tm) is mentioned in every preview? It's liek they have this checklist from Todd or somethin'...

DraQ

Arcane
Calis said:
<A HREF="http://www.hookedgamers.com/articles/preview/435/fallout_3" target="_blank">If you read it, you can't un-read it</A>.
I heard that electric shock can erase short-term memory, so if you fear mental scarification...

JarlFrank said:
Fallout 1 wasn't epic... at least not in the sense that "EPIC!!!11!1" is meant when Bethesda talks about it.

Also, it seems the "humor" and blood'n'gore are the main features they use for the hype. In Oblivion it was the graphics, in Fallout 3 it's the unbelievable amount of violence and harsh language. By trying to make it immensely adult and mature, they're making it silly.

I'll just wait for someone to shoot another person in the head "for lulz" and blame Bethesda.

Edit:
All it takes is some loser embracing the notion that "headshots=lulz".

Radisshu

Prophet
I always thought of the gore as a small but significant humoristic and grim detail in the larger Fallout setting, but Bethesda seem to thinks that it's the major focus.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Radisshu said:
I always thought of the gore as a small but significant humoristic and grim detail in the larger Fallout setting, but Bethesda seem to thinks that it's the major focus.

Well, that was all their febble minds could grasp from that game.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

isnt there some star lawyer in the U.S. who s been fighting against GTA for years because of brutality.... or was it only because of hot coffee mod ? who costed the makers/publisher of GTA lots of money ? (correct me if i m wrong, only skimmed through those news...)

well if its because of brutality, cant some of the US codexians play the worried dad and hint this dude at F3 for some fun ?

Schauman

Scholar
Prettiest post-apocalyptic ever

But will it have ponies? Can't have the pretty without the ponies!

And agreed, the gore is going to the regions where Gears of War hails from. Sure it's pretty but gets boring darn fast and usually messes up nice. Head meets bullet, head evolves to an gaseous form of life. Ragdoll proceeds to pantomine Saturday Night Fever while the physics engine is shooting acid.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Untainted food and clean water is a major survival concern as well. Your character needs to eat and drink. Eating tainted food might just hurt as much as it will help and clean water sources are few and far between,

It starts to sound interesting, and then . . .

so don’t be afraid to do some toilet drinking if it comes down to that.

LOL! Toilet drinking!!!!

flabbyjack

Arcane
Fish in a barrel.
Todd Howard, Executive Producer of the project, has stressed that ‘reinvention’ is a key point in the development of Fallout 3.
squarewheelsbl4.jpg

Caption : Reinventing the Wheel

This preview made me so Anxious that I almost shit Rook's pants for him. I think I'm gonna be sick.
The players’ character is SPECIAL. No, not so much special in that way, but as in the character development system ... Perks are special (in the normal meaning of the word) ...
Rook(author) is special, in the wears-a-helmet kind of way. Has he even tried FO1 and 2?

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Fans have been waiting for a new chapter in the Fallout franchise for far too long. Many feared that no developer would be capable of reviving the series.
Bethesda is making them wish they were right.

Balor

Arcane
The story of Fallout 3 is not directly connected to the previous Fallout titles. Building from the history and lore of the Fallout world, the game will provide a whole new story, art direction and gameplay. Todd Howard, Executive Producer of the project, has stressed that ‘reinvention’ is a key point in the development of Fallout 3. This is not to say that history and lore will be ignored, but the game play itself will be redefined into a whole new playing experience to separate it from previous titles.
Well, this at least THIS is not bullshit, it seems.
QUED.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
In the 200 years after the Great War, no one has stepped foot outside the sanctuary of the vault until your father –voice acted by Liam Neeson- mysteriously leaves one morning.

…… ……………..__
…… ……..,-~*’`—llll ll`*~,
……… .,-~*`llllll lllllllll llllllllll—`*-,
……,-~*llllllll llllllllll llllllllllll lllllllllll*-,
…,-*lll lllllllll llllllllll lllllllllllll lllllllllllllll.
.;*`lllllll lllllllllll lllllll,-~*~-,lllllll llllllllllll
..lllllllll lllllllllllll lll/………;;;;ll lllllllll,-`~-,
...llllll lllllllll llll,-*……… .`~-~-,… (.(—`*,`,
….lllll llllll,-~*………… ..……)_-. *`*;..)
…..,-*`—,*`) ..………,-~*`~.…… ..….../.
…...|/.../.. /~,….. -~*,-~*`; ..………… /.
… ./.../…/. ./..,-,..*~,.`*~*… ..……….*...
… |.../…/…/.*` .....… ..………… ..…)….)—`~,
….|./…/…./ ..….) ..…,.)`*~-,… ..….../….|..)…`~-,
…/./.../ ..,*`-,… .`-, ..*`….,--- .....…./… ./..|…….. —```*~-,,,,
...(… ..….)`*~-, ...`*`.,-~*.,-*… ..|…/.…/…/… ..…………..
. ..*-,…….`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-* .…….| ,*...,*…|……… ....……..
… ...*,… ..…`-,…)-, ..…… ....,-*`...,-* ...(`-,… ..………….
...... ....f`-,… ..…`-,/…*-,___,,-~*….,-* ..…|…`-, ..…….…….

Liam Neeson - did they bought his soul?

Section8 we need you! Come to the rescue!

BillyOgawa

Scholar
Will Fallout 3 be the title to beat for 2008? Will it attain the same status of greatness the original Fallout did back in 1998?

At least they did their research. :roll:

Section8

Cipher
There's really nothing to say. This is practically identical to the previews we were getting over 6 months ago. It's about as poignant as the jokes in Meet the Spartans.

mlc82

Scholar
" The default combat mode is free moving much like a First Person Shooter would be."

Oblivion with Guns it is... With a tacked on turn based mode that will probably make the Infinity Engine's "Real Time with Pause!" half-assery look like brilliance.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Character development is completely open ended. Everything you do will have a consequence and nothing the player does will ever be the ‘correct’ choice. Everything has a pro and a con, it is up to the player which is the best choice for himself at that particular time

Isn't this what the Codex is always demanding? I guess it remains to be seen but at least they are talking about C&C. You'd be hard pressed to find even one mention of that in any of the Oblivion preivews on the entire internet. Apart from that the article is filled with the standard diatripe we've come to expect.

The combat system will be blend of real-time and turn-based. Using VATS –which stands for Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System- you can pause the action of combat to target specific locations of the targets body.

Using the turn-based combat mode is optional however

Why does every single preview I've read insist on calling it "part turn-based" or "semi turn-based". Why can't they just call it real time with pause like it is? Is it because real time with pause isn't innovative sounding enough?

Fans have been waiting for a new chapter in the Fallout franchise for far too long. Many feared that no developer would be capable of reviving the series. Bethesda is proving that they are.

No one though Troika could have done it at all. Who wants a crappy developer like Obsidian who produced that piece of rot called Mask of the Betrayer to make a new Fallout game. No, the only people capable of reviving the series are the one developer whose RPGs are even further down the non-RPG scale than Bioware. Why do I get the feeling that not a single one of the games journalists who sing the praises of Fallout 3 haven't even seen a box with Fallout in it.

The anticipation of the title as already built to feverish heights, especially after the release of the 2007 E3 demonstration

Yeah um, no one except cocksuckers like you saw that demonstration.

Fallout 3 is the latest gem coming from Bethesda, developers of the mega hit Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

That's a paradox that could use if you ever need to confuse an android.

voice acted by Liam Neeson

It's just like Oblivion again except with Liam Neeson instead of Patrick Stewart. Why the hell do they think we will care that Liam Neeson is voicing your father (who you probably only talk to for five minutes...just like Patrick Stewart).

Building from the history and lore of the Fallout world, the game will provide a whole new story, art direction and gameplay

Just like Oblivion built from the history and lore of the Elderscrolls world. Where's that jungle gone again?

This is not to say that history and lore will be ignored, but the game play itself will be redefined into a whole new playing experience to separate it from previous titles.

In other news it has been announced that GTA 4 is going to be redesigned as a puzzle game, and that Starcraft 2 has been redesigned into a racing game. Both in order to create a whole new playing experience to separate them from their previous titles.

Genre: Action Role-Playing

Great to see that not even Fallout is immune from being turned into generic shit.

User was nabbed fit

HEAD OBLITERATION.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom