Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sacred 2 vids up on official site

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Ascaron Entertainment; Sacred 2

There's some <a href="http://www.sacred2.com/en/media/shortscenes.html">new videos</a> of <a href="http://www.sacred2.com/">Sacred 2</a> up on it's official site. Well, probably only one new one, maybe more. They mainly show off the artwork in pretty animated format.
<br>
<br>
I still hope they decided to put back in the random quest generator. The worst thing about <a href="http://www.sacred-game.com/index_start.php">Sacred Plus</a> if you ask me was it removed the quest generator.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Saxon1974

Prophet
Fancy graphics usually means that's what they spent the majority of their time on....

This game looks like a pass for me....

It's funny when they hype a game with nice shiny graphics I immediately assume the game itself is crap. I am usually correct.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
While the graphics are pretty good, and I found the original to be somewhat entertaining, I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one. Don't get me wrong, it's just that I'm not sure if it will be all that good.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Major_Blackhart said:
While the graphics are pretty good, and I found the original to be somewhat entertaining, I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one. Don't get me wrong, it's just that I'm not sure if it will be all that good.

I agree, im not really following this one but if it gets good reviews on the codex and sounds like the type of game I like I might take a look.

I thought the original game could have been good with less waves of monsters to fight and more story.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I never finished the original game. I kinda got tired of wandering out, killing everything, then turning around and finding out that all those monsters I've killed have somehow or another re-generated because I had to fight them all on the way back again. All of five minutes after I'd walked through the area in the first place.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
I never finished the original game. I kinda got tired of wandering out, killing everything, then turning around and finding out that all those monsters I've killed have somehow or another re-generated because I had to fight them all on the way back again. All of five minutes after I'd walked through the area in the first place.

This is why a patch introduced the "tame monsters". If the level difference between your char and the mobs was too high they never attacked you, leaving you free to wander the lands.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
I remain skeptic about this one, just because the original was developed under very different circumstances. I fear that it'll turn out like its expansion, with decent enough action, but very little emphasis on non-linearity and exploration.

I'm still getting a Dell, though.

corvax

Augur
Saint_Proverbius said:
I still hope they decided to put back in the random quest generator. The worst thing about <a href="http://www.sacred-game.com/index_start.php">Sacred Plus</a> if you ask me was it removed the quest generator.
I feel quite opposite about that. Maybe not as much with regards to Sacred because overall the quests were pretty bland and it is a hack and slash game. It did work in Diablo. Usually when I'm playing a game that uses random quest generator I lose the feeling of being immersed in the environment. More and more I feel like I'm playing some program/generator where I input one thing and receive something else (output). Custom designed quests have a much better way of disguising that and allow for more of a personal connection between me and the game. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think quite few other people would share my view. Guess that's why I could never get into Daggerfall.

TheLostOne

Savant
Random is okay if the random quests are pregenerated and well thought/fleshed out, and just presented at random intervals. They suck when they are Kill X of Y, and bring back N number of G where x, y, n, and g are drawn from a hat.

Random presentation can be neat, but random generation is soulless.

Xi

Arcane
Gameplay and Features said:
(Graphic "Features")-Xi
The fast 3-D action, a multitude of effects, realistic physical features and beautiful animations of the intricate HiRes models create a huge, realistic game world, which does not require any reloading.

(More Graphics as "features")-Xi
An innovative emotional system and the depiction of an authentic world give life to both friend and foe. A further striking component of the graphic presentation is the unique Gore Feedback, which displays the strength and power of the player's own game character.

(Even more Graphics as Features!!!)-Xi
"Sacred 2" is the superb 3D enhancement of the original Sacred and provides more action, more monsters, more scenes, more weapons and combos, and feedback for even more fun.

This is Sacred 2's features and game-play list from their website. It appears that game-play features and graphics are inclusive these days. Definitely nothing to see here, move along!

Nightjed

Liturgist
i liked the first one, but i could never finish it because i kept getting annoyed at the timed spells, i kept thinking "why the hell cant they add an autocast option, i want to remain a vampire/being buffed all the time, dammit, just eat up the mana again when the time runs out and cancel the spell if i dont have enough, jeez", i had the same problem with diablo2's spellchick

i think that if they dont forget gameplay and replayability is what make these games work i might keep an eye out for the second part

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Sir_Brennus said:
This is why a patch introduced the "tame monsters". If the level difference between your char and the mobs was too high they never attacked you, leaving you free to wander the lands.
... which was the lamest idea for a patch EVAR and also doesn't work if you aren't walking through the easy areas. What they needed to do was make the monsters slowly come back into an area over time, like maybe 4 or 5 in-game days. Not "Has PC just walked far enough that this area is now off-screen? If yes, respawn all the monsters instantly".

Section8

Cipher
I seem to approach this sort of game with a really unhealthy attitude - I create near invincible characters barely any offensive capabilities. So there's no challenge to combat, and it takes about ten times longer than it should. What class would people recommend to cast off these shackles?

Sil

Novice
sacred plus +expansion, is one of the worst hack&slash ive ever played....mind numbing, shoud i say! :

»level scaled
»insane enemy respawns, and i mean really INSANE!
»generic fedex quests
»dull enviroment exploration/dungeons

:roll:

feels like a mmo

Selenti

Liturgist
On the plus side, it's got lots of hoes in slutty outfits.

I wonder how long until it becomes acceptable to put that sort of thing under game features?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
... which was the lamest idea for a patch EVAR and also doesn't work if you aren't walking through the easy areas. What they needed to do was make the monsters slowly come back into an area over time, like maybe 4 or 5 in-game days. Not "Has PC just walked far enough that this area is now off-screen? If yes, respawn all the monsters instantly".

It wasn't a patch. It was always like that. Once you got a certain level higher than the monsters, they would just let you walk on by unless you attacked them. Also, the monsters don't respawn until you're out of the zone.

It beat the hell out of Guild Wars' idea of monsters spawning. At least the monsters in Sacred spawned in new places and moved around. In GW, the monsters spawned in the exact same spot and sat there. You always knew where they were, which sucked balls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom