Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age tidbits and BioWare design philosophy

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

<a href=http://pc.ign.com/>IGN</a> has posted <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/853/853814p1.html>an article</a> with some bits from their conversations with <a href=http://www.bioware.com>BioWare's</a> Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk at the Games Developers Conference. Among stuff about their design philosophy, the doctor duo mentioned the nearly vaporware <a href=http://dragonage.bioware.com/>Dragon Age</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>"Dragon Age you can picture fitting back into the more core BioWare experience," said Zeschuk. "it's fun for us to get back to fantasy, there's a huge amount of passion for that." The game will take on a dark, brooding atmosphere, they say, yet remain a heroic experience. "We'll certainly have humor, but the world is a pretty heavy world. I don't think it's a direct social commentary, but there's a lot of strife&#8230;it feels very mature. It's not like a kids fantasy where there's dancing elves. It's for adults." They promised more information will start to roll out soon.</blockquote>
<br>
You can read the rest of the article <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/853/853814p1.html>here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</A>

Ausir

Arcane
That's why I still value Bioware so high. They're first and foremost striving for quality, not pure profit. Profit through quality, not greed.

Don't delude yourself. They're part of EA now.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Ausir said:
That's why I still value Bioware so high. They're first and foremost striving for quality, not pure profit. Profit through quality, not greed.

Don't delude yourself. They're part of EA now.

So? We all know that nobody really can own Bioware. They're not some fucking lapdog. You also know that Blizzard is owned by Vivendi? Nobody gives a shit, because Blizzard is Blizzard. And Bioware will always remain Bioware.

Azarkon

Arcane
"We'll certainly have humor, but the world is a pretty heavy world. I don't think it's a direct social commentary, but there's a lot of strife…it feels very mature. It's not like a kids fantasy where there's dancing elves. It's for adults."

Since when did any RPG have dancing elves? I'd be alot more excited about what Bioware is saying if they would actually use comparisons I can relate to. Like... "This is gonna be darker than BG 2." Or "We're aiming for The Witcher." Or "This is gonna be so fucking dark and mature PST fans will shit themselves."

Not alot is being said by comparing yourself to dancing elves.

Mayday

Augur
2D? That's like some fucking 1000 years ago. Move on please.

Seriously though, I haven't heard this "Dragon Age Maturity" mentioned until now. Witcher "inspired"?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Morgoth said:
Ausir said:
Morgoth said:
Origin and Westwood? That's like some fucking 1000 years ago. Move on please.

Mythic?
Who's fucking Mythic? Let me guess...some unimportant lapdog, yes?

The hell?

Dude, what you so angry about? EA has a track record of fucking around with whoever they purchase and have already revealed their business model for BioWare (I believe it is releasing 3 games a year with a consumer target of 2 million yearly). You can get really upset and pout that your favourite artists sold out 'n all (which I'd consider facetious, BioWare has never been about art), but them's the facts.

MD said:
Seriously though, I haven't heard this "Dragon Age Maturity" mentioned until now. Witcher "inspired"?

Mature is the new soil erosion.

Radisshu

Prophet
Mayday said:
2D? That's like some fucking 1000 years ago. Move on please.

It's been stated from the beginning, before much was known about the Witcher, that Dragon Age would feature a darker more realistic fantasy setting. Some devs said the author George R. R. Martin was a big influence.

Mayday

Augur
Ah ok. Carry on then.

EDIT: "I believe it is releasing 3 games a year with a consumer target of 2 million yearly"
Source plz because that's pretty hilarious!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Morgoth said:
Good read. I'm looking forward to DA.

I think games have the opportunity to be one of the most powerful forms of art.

LONG LIVE BIOWARE!

This is sarcasm, right?

Schauman

Scholar
BioWare screws up one fiscal quarter and Riccitiello starts to lop heads. He is already on doing it for the decrease of Metacritic scores and those who survie end up at EA Sports.

So long live BioWare, it was nice knowing you.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Morgoth said:
"I believe it is releasing 3 games a year with a consumer target of 2 million yearly"

Link please.

Man I was totally posting from memory and you had to go and call me on it. That sucks. Now I have to look it up.

I'm not actually sure how much is hearsay, to be honest. I can only directly find this tidbit
Frank Gibeau, president of the games label, said EA expects games to be created in "10 plus" franchises as well as the MMO that Bioware's Austin office is working on.

That's 10 games and the MMO planned in the period 2008-2011 (including ports), albeit from both BioWare and Pandemic.

I don't remember where I got the consumer target number from, fairly sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but since I can't find it, better to forget it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So, where's the issue?

Mass Effect
Jade Empire 2 (?) Or what's that "New Next Gen game" on the Bio main page?
Dragon Age
New MMO
Some fucking handheld division that will start fork out own IPs after Sonic.
Mercenaries 2
Sabotage
Another Pandemic game currently unannounced, but in development.

These are already 8 IPs, created by Bio and Pandemic, owned by EA. I'm sure they should come up with another 2 until 2011.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Morgoth said:
"OldSkoolKamikaze"

Are you mocking yourself? Ever heard of the BG games?

Admittedly I never played the second one, but that's only because I thought the first one was rather shitty. Though I guess it wasn't as bad as the NWN OC. The only other Bioware game I've played was KotOR, and I only found that game mildly interesting because I used to be a pretty big Star Wars geek.

I guess I just can't see how someone could be so enthusiastic about Bioware games.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Morgoth said:
These are already 8 IPs, created by Bio and Pandemic, owned by EA. I'm sure they should come up with another 2 until 2011.

Learn to read. He said there will be games produced in at least 10 properties, that is at least 10 games (i.e. at least one per property), he was - very noticeably - not talking about creating new intellectual content.

Consider BioWare always tended to produce games with 2 years intervals, you don't see any possible issue in creating - let's say - 2 games a year?

Flattening out of product line, anyone?

Morgoth said:
LOL, and people want to dumbfuck me.

I think that might be because you're expressing yourself like a retard.

Mamon

Scholar
Everyone in the forum should be dumbfucked then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom