Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Creators of Neverwinter Nights (original, 1991) shut down

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: Neverwinter Nights (1991); Stormfront Studios

On a barely PC-CRPG-related note, Stormfront Studios, creators of Neverwinter Nights: The 1991 MMO are <A HREF="http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9809&Itemid=2" target="_blank">closing shop</A>. This despite the fact that their own <A HREF="http://www.stormfront.com/" target="_blank">website</A> still states that they're hiring. Also, a quick googlin' tells me that this is no April Fools, despote the date on the <A HREF="http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9809&Itemid=2" target="_blank">Next-Gen newspost</A>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.tweakers.net">Tweakers.net (Dutch)</A>
<br>
<br>

aries202

Erudite
I just read this newpost, Calis. And it fills me with a great sadness :( since this means that cerative people can't seem to see run game studios anymore. The Next-Gen newspost mentiioned that Stormfront created the recently released games based on the Spiderwickmovie and that the studio, Stormfront, has been around for nearly 20 years.

If a (small) game studio like this is closing down, and can get the funding it needs, I wonder, if the futiue really only belongs to big corporate studios like EA, Atari and other such huge corporations. It certainly seems that way.

The company could maybe just be re-structuring, though. If they're hiring...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yup. Don't care about them one bit. ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE!!!

p.s. If BIo ever folds completely, they are weak, and deserve it too. Period.

p.s.s. No excuse for POR2. Period.

DemonKing

Arcane
Anyone that produced the crap that is Pools of Radiance 2 doesn't deserve to live.

I'm surprised they lasted this long personally.

mondblut

Arcane
POR ROMD sucked really bad, and Stormfront haven't produced a decent game in 15 years.

Still, it's kind of sad to see the last survivor of the venerable goldbox legacy having gone. At least they outlived both TSR and SSI.

MetalCraze

Arcane
mondblut said:
POR ROMD sucked really bad, and Stormfront haven't produced a decent game in 15 years.

+1

what were the last games they produced? dumb hack'n'slashes based on popular franchises like LotR: Two Towers and FR: Demon Stone?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
skyway said:
mondblut said:

+1

what were the last games they produced? dumb hack'n'slashes based on popular franchises like LotR: Two Towers and FR: Demon Stone?

1. I played my way through POR ROMD with the help of the "speed patch" and definitly can say: Someone who liked TOEE will enjoy POR ROMD very much. Lack of story and real roleplaying is a problem both games had. I for one still haven't had enough patience to slug my way through TOEE, while I completed POR ROMD 2 years ago.

2. They also produced LotR: Return of the King and all three mentioned games were anything but "dumb" for what they were - Beat 'em ups. Eragon - on the other hand surely sucked, even if you (like me) enjoy the pulpy novels.

3. Stormfront also designed the Savage Frontier Gold Box games, the original Madden NFL game on the PC and the EXCELLENT Byzantine game.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Sir_Brennus said:
1. I played my way through POR ROMD with the help of the "speed patch" and definitly can say: Someone who liked TOEE will enjoy POR ROMD very much. Lack of story and real roleplaying is a problem both games had. I for one still haven't had enough patience to slug my way through TOEE, while I completed POR ROMD 2 years ago.

Not true, forced levelling schemes and basically - uninteresting encounters. It had some promise, but got rushed and died horribly. And yes, I've played it - and TOEE is vastly superior in all ways - graphically, combat- and ruleswise and even storywise, which is kinda scary.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The only thing the two games have in common is they're TB D&D. TOEE, despite my problems with it, is a million times better than POR2. No contest.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Volourn said:
The only thing the two games have in common is they're TB D&D. TOEE, despite my problems with it, is a million times better than POR2. No contest.
+1 (if you exchange the million with a three)
POR2 would have been ok without HD destruction bug (which only few people suffered, but still...) and if one had been able to choose ones feats.

mondblut

Arcane
...Speaking of Savage Frontiers, both games had "Beyond Software" logo after SSI in intro sequences. I never understood how Stormfront got into claiming they were responsible, did they change name around 93?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
mondblut said:
...Speaking of Savage Frontiers, both games had "Beyond Software" logo after SSI in intro sequences. I never understood how Stormfront got into claiming they were responsible, did they change name around 93?

Does this answer your question?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom