Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Gothic 4 tidbits over at Tiscali Games

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania

<a href="http://games.tiscali.cz">Tiscali Games</a> has a <A href="http://games.tiscali.cz/news/news.asp?id=27245">few details</a> about <b>Gothic 4</b>, including a new change of name for the game. It's a list of bullet points, so there's not a hell of a lot to quote. But hey, here's one bullet point anyway:
<br>
<blockquote>Weather changes, full day and night cycle plus the ability to temporarily cast a spell and change the time of day (e.g. from day to night when you need to slip past guards unnoticed).</blockquote>
<br>
Wow! Now there's a powerful spell!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
So what, day changes to night and this little event doesn't immediately make guards more suspicious and alert? Immersion++

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Maybe this spell just includes drinking copyous amounts of alcohol, so the char gets asleep and wakes up in evening.
I have casted that spell on myself numerous times.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
BrainSquirmingLikeAToad said:
That spell was one of the coolest things in Ocarina of Time. It's amazing that it hasn't been implemented in another game until now. I hope the zombies are still guarding it.
Didn't Fable have a golden carrot and a silver fish that would change the time of day from daytime to nighttime? A fucking fish and carrot.

It looks like there might be a possibility for a 360 release.
I think the devs. have confimed that Gothic 4 will be released on PC and xbox, as well as playstation.

So what, day changes to night and this little event doesn't immediately make guards more suspicious and alert? Immersion++
Seems like a fast forward spell to me. Fast forward till the next day or something like that. The guards wouldn't notice it because they'd still be going about their agendas, just a whole lot faster due to the spell.

MountainWest

Scholar
So it's the Darkness spell or the wait-option that's been around since fuck knows when. Or do you actually spin your side of the world away from the sun "temporarily"? Sounds like overkill for sneaking past a guard...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MountainWest said:
So it's the Darkness spell or the wait-option that's been around since fuck knows when. Or do you actually spin your side of the world away from the sun "temporarily"? Sounds like overkill for sneaking past a guard...

Overkill? Well, it's the least suspicious thing. That way, guards will think "Oh, some mage in this area has cast the rotate globe spell! Surly it's got nothing to do with someone wanting to sneak past us. I mean, there's nothing important around here, why would anyone cast such a huge spell to sneak past us?"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Naked Ninja said:

Well, they didn't have clocks back then, so they didn't know. :)

MountainWest said:

Or fog or something like it, sure. But changing the clock is just silly. A thick fog rolling in wouldn't raise guard suspicion too much, and would accomplish the same thing. Heck, turning yourself in to a groundhog or something and waddling passed the guards would be better than day/night changing - especially if it messes with the patrol cycles of the guards and villagers. I'm pretty sure people didn't just stop what they were doing in the middle of the day and head to bed just because there was a solar eclipse in the middle ages.

Lumpy

Arcane
Also, it's going to be one fucked up world if several mages start making use of the timeshift spells frequently.

Fez

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Heck, turning yourself in to a groundhog or something and waddling passed the guards would be better than day/night changing - especially if it messes with the patrol cycles of the guards and villagers.

I remember in the previous games that was one of the uses of turning into a meatbug. It was a small critter that people just ignored. Seems a better way of doing it for the game world.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah. Unfortunately, for some reason Piranha Bytes in their infinite wisdom decided to disallow transforming into harmless animals in Gothic 3.

BrainSquirmingLikeAToad said:
That spell was one of the coolest things in Ocarina of Time. It's amazing that it hasn't been implemented in another game until now.
It has.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
In fact the spell is as old as the stones. Breath of Fire 2 had it, but it likely is far, far older.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom