Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout, is it too inaccessible for console players?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10340&Itemid=2">Bethesda's Emil Pagliarulo talks to next-gen about Fallout 3 and ponders</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>It's funny. I look at Fallout when I play it every day, and I sometimes think that there's a lot of old-school hardcore PC stuff in there too, and part of me thinks, "God, is this too inaccessible for console players?" There's a lot of dialogue to read, a lot of just hacking computers and looking through things like "VAT." I don't know. Sometimes I think it's just the opposite. So I don't feel like we're dumbing down the franchise.
<br>
<br>
...I think we're starting to find that there is a market for [hardcore "PC RPGs" on consoles]. People like myself and some people that work here actually grew up as hardcore PC guys, and now we're older, we have kids, we don't have that much time, so we've transitioned. We're console players now.
<br>
<br>
But we still have those PC game sensibilities. Those are the games we like. So I think BioShock has a little bit of that too. You can definitely feel the old System Shock roots in that game. So hopefully there's a trend there.</blockquote>
<br>
"Console players with PC sensibilities" or if you like: How to sell yourself to two opposing audiences at once. Say you're one but you've got the other too. You're that awesome, you can do anything!
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</a>

elander_

Arbiter
"So I don't feel like we're dumbing down the franchise. "

If you are dumbing it down to make it more accessible then you are dumbing it down Emil and not doing a very good work with accessibility. It's possible to make a Fallout game more accessible without crippling its combat system or removing features that worked and were praised in the classic just to add your Oblivion crap to it.

The question is not if you are making it more accessible. Fallout was already a main streamed game and very accessible game and any modification to it would be minor. Someone could have ported Fallout to the consoles with just a few changes to the interface and a lot of bug squashing in quests and the game would be a success.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Wouldn't it be better to just move VD's thread to news items?

In before 'why don't you fuck off, cock'.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys, I think you have no idea how newsposting works here.
I mean, opening a newspost thread. You need to do it with some speshul buttan on the main page. And going out of the forums on to the main page and clicking that special button just to link to another Codex thread wouldn't be worth the work, you should at least make it seem like you found that news item all by yourself.

Also, how fucking stupid would a newspost on the frontpage look that only has a link to another Codex thread as its only content?

mahdi

Liturgist
The newspost at NMA seems to have set off some INTERNET DRAMA. Recap:

-Rosh returns from the wastes on May 1 to post a lengthy commentary of current Fallout 3 crap, Bethesda, and other jazz. The post was a great read and included the signature "vivid language" he is famous for.
-Seventeen more posts are made by Rosh over the course of the next 6 days.
-Someone on NMA staff sent two of his posts to VATS for "violating forum rules."
-Rosh deletes all 18 posts made between May 1 and May 6.

His initial post (the lengthy commentary) is replaced by this:

Enjoy the pile of shit that Fallout 3 will undoubtedly prove to be.
Enjoy the experience with the harbored sycophants and people always willing to bend over for the company line.
I am done wasting my time, this is probably the last time I'll do so in order to educate the drooling masses on these forums.
Whatever Fallout 3 has become - YOU have earned it.

Did NMA try to censor Rosh? Why doesn't Rosh come over here more often? Surely DU wouldn't retardo his posts for breaking rules.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rosh is an internet drama whore par excellence. We all know FO3 is gonna be shit and nobody is happy about it, but how can you be so obsessive about a fucking computer game? Thats just sad...

caliban

Scholar
That's a shame, I remember he made some actually good points the last time I read his stuff.

I guess internet is just serious business.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
NMA do seem to have became a ''tidy/nice'' place in recent years. I dunno if it's because Kharn thought it would help in comunication with Bethtards or in spite of Codex (remember teh mutual drama about how Codex nesposts suck because of subjectivity and NMA is therefore good, reasonable and not at all ''rabid fanboys'' or ''glittering gems of hatered'' like those evil codex people).

Although you have to admit, that Rosh has been quite a a deuchebag and emo-tard, despite his beautifull rants.

Micmu

Magister
I dunno if it's because Kharn thought it would help in comunication with Bethtards
Even if that were the case, they blackballed them anyway on first technicality. (Predictable, eh?)
Btw, does the word "NMA" already have an auto-censor replacement, like the Codex does? :P

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
mahdi said:
Did NMA try to censor Rosh?

No, just applied the same rules to him we apply to everyone else.

Gnidrologist said:
NMA do seem to have became a ''tidy/nice'' place in recent years. I dunno if it's because Kharn thought it would help in comunication with Bethtards or in spite of Codex.

Nah, more a natural consequence of Rosh leaving. The rest of us were always more moderate, including the chief admins.

We've given up on communicating with Bethesda ages ago. No real need to communicate with pathological liars.

Also, don't make the stupid in this thread too, please, HE'S TALKING ABOUT FALLOUT 3, NOT FALLOUT 1.

Also, transcribed from the podcast:
It's funny too...I kind of feel the same way because I'm not in the circle of the people that might be close to No Mutants Allowed or very hardcore-into-the-Elder-Scrolls franchise. I played Morrowind, but Oblivion is the one I played most extensively. As a guy that didn't play these PC RPGs, I agree, for the average person it actually was a little overwhelming and good for you guys for selling that many copies of what I would almost consider a hardcore PC RPG on the console. (HE'S TALKING ABOUT OBLIVION HERE)

I think we're starting to find now that there is a market for that on console. People like myself and people who work [here] kind of grew up as hardcore PC guys and now we're older, we have kids, we don't have that much time so we're in transition, we're console players now. But we still have those PC game sensibilities. Y'know, those are the games that we liked, so I think BioShock has a little bit of that too. You can definitely feel the old System Shock roots in that game. So hopefully there's a trend there.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Rosh is like a fully upgraded Firebat, and retards are like freshly spawned Zerglings. Sure he'll flame a good deal of 'em into oblivion, but eventually, the swarm overwhelms.

icon_salut.gif

mahdi

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
Damn. I wish I could have read Rosh's posts. He's my hero. <3

I meant to make a post a few days ago along the lines of "Rosh returns to NMA" but then I got drunk and forgot. I apologize.

Brother None said:
Nah, more a natural consequence of Rosh leaving. The rest of us were always more moderate, including the chief admins.

I agree. Surely this is proof that he belongs here.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Rat Keeng said:
Rosh is like a fully upgraded Firebat, and retards are like freshly spawned Zerglings. Sure he'll flame a good deal of 'em into oblivion, but eventually, the swarm overwhelms.

icon_salut.gif

A beautiful analogy. I have a long-held respect for him, too.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Glancing at his post history on NMA, he's been posting in 2007 too. So what's this deal about triumphal return?

mahdi

Liturgist
Gnidrologist said:
Glancing at his post history on NMA, he's been posting in 2007 too. So what's this deal about triumphal return?

Yes, if I'm not mistaken he posted here a few times in 2007 also. The point is no one had heard his take on recent Fallout news in 7-8 months.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
VonVentrue said:
elander_ said:

Definitely, there's no need to make another thread covering the exact same subject.
We don't see the front page news items as being the same as what gets posted in the forums. At the time I wasn't aware of the thread on the Codex (actually, going by timestamps, it looks like it had only just been posted by VD half an hour before I saw it on NMA and posted it in here), otherwise I would've gone "Thanks Vault Dweller" instead of "Spotted @ NMA".

Also, yeah, news system completely different from forums in how they work.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Brother None said:
mahdi said:
Did NMA try to censor Rosh?

No, just applied the same rules to him we apply to everyone else.
Is Rosh "everyone else" though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom