Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview KotOR preview over at GameSpy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<A href="http://www.gamespy.com/">GameSpy</a> has a <A href="http://www.gamespy.com/previews/october03/kotorpc/">preview</a> of the PC version of <a href="http://www.swkotor.com">Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic</A> for those curious about what the new trappings are within this port of the game. Here's a taste:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>When Sluggo and I first saw the game, LucasArts was coy about any new additions it was making to the PC iteration. The company was very forthcoming this time around. There will be additional races, intro movies, locations, and weapons not found in the original game. There will be 30 new items and weapons for you to use. The company was particularly proud of the exoskeleton armor and the Heart of the Guardian lightsaber, which is like the light Jedi's version of Darth Maul's double-ended poker but with additional oomph. A new space station outside of Yavin lets you engage in some new battles and purchase many of these new goodies. The game will still be the same at its core, but the bonus quests and items should provide even more depth to what was already a massive game. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I still don't know what to think about magical light sabers.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</a>.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, they can keep the magical light sabers. That seems to be stretching it. But then again, they did have special jedi robes in the Xbox version.

Me? I want the new locations. :D New items and weapons is good too though. :) The main reason I am looking forward to this wonderful game on the PC is because at that point, it becomes moddable. Even if it's not mod friendly, the community will find a way. They always do. ;)

protobob

Liturgist
The star wars universe in all it's bubble-gum and soda-pop glory. So shallow.

Voss

Erudite
This is Bioware's way of saying

'Even if you bought the Xbox version, you need to buy this version too. New phat loot!!! and you know you're life won't be complete until you have it!'

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Keep the new weapons, movies, races, etc. I want a new story and plot, hell keep it all and make a whole new game :P

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
HanoverF said:
Keep the new weapons, movies, races, etc. I want a new story and plot, hell keep it all and make a whole new game :P

Well, that's the reason it's good they are bringing this out on the PC. Mods, total conversions, etc. I just hope they're gonna be smart and make it mod friendly. This is one of those games you either love or you hate. I for one love the game and hope they make it mod friendly just to add to the longevity. We'll just have to see though. I'm not gonna rush out and buy it until I know for sure it can be easily modded.

Voss said:
This is Bioware's way of saying

'Even if you bought the Xbox version, you need to buy this version too. New phat loot!!! and you know you're life won't be complete until you have it!'

Not really. This is Bioware's way of saying they are sorry for making the people who did NOT buy the Xbox version in anticipation of the PC version wait. The game was originally billed as going to be a simultaneous release for Xbox and PC, but due to complications, this did not happen. Technically, the PC version should have been out by now, but they wanted to add a bit of extra content just to make up. I don't mind one bit either. As I said, I love the game. It's not the best RPG ever made, but it's still fun. :)

Grifman

Liturgist
slavemaster said:
HanoverF said:

What's the point? They'd just make another piece of crap.

That's pretty funny given the the overwhelming acclaim the game has gotten :lol:

Grifman

Spazmo

Erudite
NWN got loads of praise, too. People saying it is good does not make it good. I prefer to reserve judgement on KOTOR until I've played.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
"It's [Neverwinter Nights' single player campaign] comparable with and in many ways superior to BioWare's previous RPGs--or any other top-notch RPG to date for that matter. If Neverwinter Nights offered nothing other than this campaign, it would still be one of the best RPGs to come out in years." -- Gamespot

Sorry, the videogame press, much like the music press, is not a thing to be trusted.

Grifman

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
NWN got loads of praise, too. People saying it is good does not make it good. I prefer to reserve judgement on KOTOR until I've played.

Sorry, but the previous poster didn't do you as you said - he had already made a judgement, as he had already called the game crap. Maybe he played it, but he didn't say so. Also, the converse of your statement also holds - just because someone calls a game crap, doesn't make it crap :)

That said, you can't really compare NWN and KOTOR. NWN's scores were anywhere from 7/10 to 10/10 per:

http://www.gonegold.com/gguide/nwn.shtml

I haven't seen a KOTOR score less than 9 out of 10 so far - don't say they don't exist, but I haven't seen one at least. The game seems universally praised.

That said, the game may be crap - but if someone hasn't played it and doesn't trust reviews, then they don't have any reason for calling it crap.

Grifman

Grifman

Liturgist
dipdipdip said:
"It's [Neverwinter Nights' single player campaign] comparable with and in many ways superior to BioWare's previous RPGs--or any other top-notch RPG to date for that matter. If Neverwinter Nights offered nothing other than this campaign, it would still be one of the best RPGs to come out in years." -- Gamespot

Sorry, the videogame press, much like the music press, is not a thing to be trusted.

Sorry, but one article is not sufficient evidence. I can probably find a favorable quote on any number of games that might or might no reflect the overall gaming press opinion. I tend to look at a fair number of reviews and see what the consensus opinion is. Personally, I believe the consensus is rarely off, though my individual opinion may vary at times. If reviews are all over the place, then it usually seems that there are certain elements that certain people like, and others that others really hate, leading to a split decision.

That said, do you think Lionheart is a great game, since the press, which" is not a thing to be trusted", pretty much panned the game? :)

Grifman

Spazmo

Erudite
Grifman, that's not the point. I was objecting to your statement which essentially said that if it got such good reviews, how could it be bad? I actually disagree with slave_master here: I doubt KOTOR will be much as an RPG, but BG2 was fun as an action/adventure type of thing, so I'm hoping KOTOR will be at least as good as BG2.

Then again, i'd hoped NWN would be as good as BG2 as well, so I'll have to wait and see.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, I own and have played the Xbox version twice through now and am working on a third time. I love the game. It's a blast. It has it's share of problems, but none of them except one are game stoppers. And the one that is a game stopper doesn't technically stop the game and only presents itself if you do a certain sequence of things in order and it's highly unlikely you will encounter it. I did, but only because I wanted to. Besides, what game doesn't have it's problems? I give it good reviews, definitely, but it's not the greatest RPG I've ever played. Fallout 2 and Daggerfall are tied for that position. :D

It's a good game that I would recommend to anyone who likes RPGs, not just Star Wars. I would like to see some more games using this engine but in a different setting.

slavemaster

Novice
Not hell, but you can smell it from down the stree
Grifman said:
Sorry, but the previous poster didn't do you as you said - he had already made a judgement, as he had already called the game crap.

Here's the part where I use the mind altering substance/lack of mind altering substance excuse and bitch about how tired I was when I made the post. I might burn some cash on PC KOTOR when it's twenty USD or so. I've yet to play it for any extended period of time.

Spazmo said:
I doubt KOTOR will be much as an RPG, but BG2 was fun as an action/adventure type of thing, so I'm hoping KOTOR will be at least as good as BG2.

BG2 was still mediocre in that aspect, but since from what I've heard, KOTOR fixes a lot of previous Bioware games' mistakes, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. When it's twenty dollars.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom