Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I missed our birthday.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: RPG Codex

Apparently <b>October 19th</b> was the day we actually went live, so this site is actually One Year and One Week old as of right now. Doesn't really seem like it's been that long, does it? Not long enough for <i>1476 news posts</i> at least.
<br>
<br>
The first news post following the openning was a review of <A href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com">Icewind Dale 2</a>, with the comment of <i>So, basically, the game is mostly combat, and after a while, you dread the combat. <b>4.5/5 DIAMONDS</b>! Makes sense to me!</i> at the bottom of the news post, in case you're interested.
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
In one year, we've pissed off:

• Gamer's Hell
    David Gaider
    J.E. Sawyer (I think)
    INTERPLAY INTERPLAY INTERPLAY!
    Countless numbskull NWN fans
    That one guy who did a Dungeon Siege article we didn't like
Which isn't bad, if you ask me. Rest assured, we still have lots of people to piss off so we're FAR from done!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saint_Proverbius said:
Not long enough for <i>1476 news posts</i> at least.
1000 of which were probably posted by you.

Saint_Proverbius said:
The first news post following the openning was a review of <A href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com">Icewind Dale 2</a>, with the comment of <i>So, basically, the game is mostly combat, and after a while, you dread the combat. <b>4.5/5 DIAMONDS</b>! Makes sense to me!</i> at the bottom of the news post, in case you're interested.
... and it's all been downhill since.

Happy Birthday Codex.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Spazmo said:
In one year, we've pissed off:

• Gamer's Hell
    David Gaider
    J.E. Sawyer (I think)
    INTERPLAY INTERPLAY INTERPLAY!
    Countless numbskull NWN fans
    That one guy who did a Dungeon Siege article we didn't like
Which isn't bad, if you ask me. Rest assured, we still have lots of people to piss off so we're FAR from done!

To add to that list, we've also pissed off that one guy we caught stealing reviews, Game Banshee, that recent site which posted that poorly written TOEE review, and I'm sure numerous others as well.

Psilon

Erudite
That one guy who wrote the Dungeon Siege review actually stuck around. Quite unusual, compared to most of those who show up to disagree with us.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It would be cool to have a special feature page listing everybody we pissed off including the final showdowns and memorable quotes to preserve the Codex's culture and history. We can have trivia games with questions like which game site is "teh prefessional" gaming site or "the morons indicators": who coined the phrase and who reacted most strongly to it?

Edit:

Sharpei_Diem said:
I was thinking a list of people we've alienated would be kinda cool with links to the relevant bits...
And here I thought that my idea was original :( :lol:

EEVIAC

Erudite
A year hey?

So many laughs :

[Player]: [Insight] OMFG! Desther, j00 R teh 3n3m13!
[Desther]: h4w h4w h4w! How d4r3 j00 s4y th4t! H4w h4w h4w!
[Fenthick]: KTHXBYE

So many tears :

First of all, they're not RT. They are RT with pause. At it's core, the IE games (and NWN) are turn base games run in RT to better simulate dnd combat on a computer.

So many memories, nevertheless.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
No, that shouldn't count. Firstly, the whole 4 pg post was like reading some sort of literary enema. Secondly, the antagonist had no valid point. Thirdly, it had a whole Rod Serling-esque quality to it: "Imagine a man, getting in trouble for what his accuser has said". Fourthly, i really try to go out of my way to make no fun whatsoever of the special needs folks - they really try, and it is, almost always, just not their fault. What I found they like is for you to nod at them, smile, and give them a big pink-frosted cookie....

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sharpei_Diem said:
Secondly, the antagonist had no valid point.
Do they ever?

Overall, I disagree. While Jinxed-sponsored discussion wasn't as entertaining as those of some of our previous guests, it deserves a special drama nomination at least. It has many interesting qualities:

First, it had persistence: Jinxed was recycling his point for pages ignoring any other point of view
Second, it had a mystery: who was SP's mysterious source? Was it the janitor? Or a corrupted QA guy? Tim Cain himself? Somebody pretending to be Tim Cain to set everyone up? Too many questions, not enough answers....
Third, it had a bull fight: Seven9 vs Jinxed

Yep, it's a classic. :lol:

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
oh come on, if we're gonna give awards for persistence then what the hell do we give Volourn? Governor-ship of Florida? Supreme Justice?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Don't tell me you were planning to leave Volourn out. He's ..., he's....well, I dunno what exactly he is, but he's something, I tell you that :lol: As for the title, how about Threads' Derailer Supreme?

Volourn said:
Troika fan it seems you are? Buy TOEE. I heard rumours that it is the deepest role-playing game of all time.
Good times, Volourn, good times, we should definitely do it again sometime :wink:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I pissed off Gamer's Pulse once on Vault13.net by bashing the hell out of their FOT review, where they claimed FOT used the same engine as Fallout and Fallout 2. That was a hoot, they claimed I was bashing the review because it wasn't entirely positive towards Fallout Tactics and that I was baised in favor of the title. Man, that was good, creamy fun.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
That was a hoot, they claimed I was bashing the review because it wasn't entirely positive towards Fallout Tactics and that I was baised in favor of the title. Man, that was good, creamy fun.
That's how it usually goes. It's always more fun to attack a person who pointed at some ridiculous flaws like FOT using the same engine a s FO or spawning areas in ToEE then to admit mistakes.

What? They say that FOT does NOT use the same engine as Fallout. Huh. Well, who but a rabid Fallout fan would know such an insignificant detail, I betcha the bastard thinks that if the game doesn't use the same engine, it's not a Fallout game. :lol:

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I pissed off Gamer's Pulse once on Vault13.net by bashing the hell out of their FOT review, where they claimed FOT used the same engine as Fallout and Fallout 2. That was a hoot, they claimed I was bashing the review because it wasn't entirely positive towards Fallout Tactics and that I was baised in favor of the title. Man, that was good, creamy fun.

At least it didn't use the Wasteland engine. LOL :P

Seriously though, happy belated birthday guys. :) Glad I finally found a site that I can relate to. Alot of the people here tend to make valid points about the games covered. It's nice to see that instead of the useless drivel you get from other sites' forums. ;)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
:shock:

One year. Its a shame i wasn't here from the start :( But i've got to say, for the life of me, i've had some great fun here, and had much knowledge infused thanks to you people. I hope the site keeps up, and won't show signs of stopping :)

Happy Birthday, RPGCodex, and congratulations to all its users as well 8)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom