Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info More Diablo III info

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Diablo III

For those of you worried about <a href="http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144043&page=6">the lack of grit and darkness</a> in Diablo 3, fear not! <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39576/Diablo-III-Tidbits">According to VoodooExtreme's summary of the post-announcement press conference</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><ul><li>No release date as of yet.
<br>
<li>Development in its "early stages" despite being underway for over four years.
<br>
<li>Brand new in-house engine developed for Diablo III. Includes Havoc physics.
<br>
<li>Co-op is fully integrated into the game's design.
<br>
<li>Will also be released on Mac.
<br>
<li>Similar in length to Diablo II.
<br>
<li>Takes place twenty years after Diablo II expansion pack.
<br>
<li>Only fifty people working on the game at the moment. Content creation the current focus.
<br>
<li>New Battle.net will debut with StarCraft II. Even more features by the time Diablo III launches.
<br>
<li>No console release of Diablo III planned. Other Blizzard title staying on PC and Mac also.
<br>
<li>Pay to play? Totally undecided, though it could vary between regions. For example, China may because of the popularity of internet cafes and the strict gaming laws that are meant to prevent people becoming addicted.
<br>
<li>Could be up to 100 enemies on-screen at a time.
<br>
<li>The ice splash page malarkey was Diablo all along, ditto on the eyes. I am vindicated. The penguin remains a mystery, however.
<br>
<li>Hellgate: London-esque randomness is in, to an extent. Some maps and what have yous will be static.
<br>
<li>Low-spec [computer] losers are being catered to.
<br>
<li>World of Warcraft and The Legend of Zelda heavily influenced boss design and boss gameplay mechanics.
<br>
<li>E-Sports support is a possibility. Team is attempting to form a business plan that works for that crowd.
<br>
<li>No character customisation, just gender selection.
<br>
<li>PvP will likely be included at release.
<br>
<li>Voice communication will be improved.
<br>
<li>Beta is a possibility.
<br>
<li>"Potions are still in the game, they're just not as core an element. So there's a new health system here. Wilson says he actually tried a Halo-style shield system with regenerative health, but didn't put that in because it encouraged players to leave combat. Didn't want to implement a WoW-style health which encourages players to drink and creates downtime when out of combat. Wilson wants the health system to ensure combat, which is health globes were implemented."
<br>
<li>One health pot restores all players in co-op.
<br>
<li>Enemies can miss and get weapons stuck in scenery or world.
<br>
<li>Player characters will be fully voice acted.
<br>
<li>Four-to-five person co-op groups.
<br>
<li>Respecs are likely to be included. </ul></blockquote>
<br>
"Only" fifty people and it's still in its early stages? I suppose that's what happens when you're racking in billions from World of Warcraft. <a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/885/885126p1.html?RSSwhen2008-06-28_053600&RSSid=885126">There's a bit more info over on IGN too</a> including the comment that "there'll be better quests and more in-depth NPC interaction". Junkie's should be sure to also check <a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/885/885139p1.html">IGN's interview with Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Executive Vice President of Game Design</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Though there have been quite a few action-RPG releases since Diablo II, perhaps there weren't as many as there should have been, or perhaps action-RPGs get labeled incorrectly. "What I think often happens with the genre, with the games that I've seen, is that they kind of get confused as to whether it's an RPG that just happens to be real-time or is it just an action game," said Pardo. "I feel like that's oftentimes you get these games that are not quite doing both. I feel like that's the big opportunity for us. If you look at Diablo and Diablo II, they're really action games. The story was light, the RPG were very light and I think one of the things we looked at with Diablo III was that doesn't have to be the case."</blockquote>
<br>
More RPG in mah Hack 'n Slash?
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://blizzardguru.com/">The new place you go if you want to insult Rex</a>

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
What are Respecs?

Shorthand for respecializing in where a character can reset their talent trees (from D2) and redistribute the points.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Development in its "early stages" despite being underway for over four years.
Lol. Yearly stages and they have working build they can show to public. At what stage Dragon Age is then? :)

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sovy Kurosei said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
What are Respecs?

Shorthand for respecializing in where a character can reset their talent trees (from D2) and redistribute the points.
So I can try a new build or reverse a bad choice? I suppose there will be a cost in the form of levels or gold.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hamster said:
Development in its "early stages" despite being underway for over four years.
Lol. Yearly stages and they have working build they can show to public. At what stage Dragon Age is then? :)

Uh, Blizzard isn't making Dragon Age, and besides Diablo 3 has been completely restarted twice according to rumors.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I don't think he was saying Blizzard was making Dragon Age, I think he was comparing Blizzard's ridiculous development time to other developers.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah. Well anyway, quality takes time. I don't have a problem with waiting to play it.

Ryuken

Liturgist
And because they usually don't buy their games like at least some folks do in Western regions. It makes sense to do some kind of subscription model for them, pretty much every big online game has a different business model there than we have here (WoW, Hellgate, CoH, etc.), internet cafés are like the only place to get your online juice in China.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
More RPG is pretty much what Diablo could use the most. I'm thinking quests and random occurences like the Genesis Shadowrun, just ten times the variety.

pkt-zer0 said:
More RPG is pretty much what Diablo could use the most.

You mean... besides the bloom?

drablocraftbybloomzardso1.jpg

Oarfish

Prophet
One of the features of past “Diablo” games was random environments. Every time you visit a dungeon or area, it will be in a new layout to the player as well as more random monster encounters and items. What’s new for “Diablo III” will be random adventures, where scripted bits will appear almost anywhere in the game, prompting new quests. Examples that Wilson gave: players may meet a caravan that needs protecting for a short period of time, or run into an enemy camp with a boss. “Every time you go through the game, we want you to experience something different and have something to keep coming back to,”

Wow, actual progress in a game series rather than just upping the poly count and 'streamlining'. Doesn't sound like actual quest generation, but better than nothing.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
My main hope is that they go back to a more Diablo 1 style of gameplay and take lessons from Diablo 2's shortcomings.

And as long as the WoW people do not come close to the project, I guess it'll have some hope left.

Nightjed

Liturgist
VoodooExtreme said:
<li>Hellgate: London-esque randomness is in, to an extent. Some maps and what have yous will be static.
wth, why hellgate ? hellgate invented random enviorements now ? hellgate's random thingy sucked ass. compare it with diablo2 or something

static quests were diablo2's most anoying problem, adding random quests is definitely a good idea (i wish they would randomize ALL quests, but i guess thats just me)

Chefe

Erudite
I hope it's only in the early stages. They haven't added in the Diablo-esque textures yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom