Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Leonard Boyarsky interviewed at GameSpy on Diablo 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Diablo III; Leonard Boyarsky

Lead World Designer Leonard Boyarsky, of original Fallout and Troika fame, <a href="http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/885172p1.html">has been interviewed by GameSpy</a> "about creating a rich world that many gamers will never see":
<br>
<blockquote>"I wasn't a hardcore Diablo fan before joining Blizzard," Boyarsky says as we begin talking. "I played them, of course, and I really liked them, but I usually like a lot more story depth in my games." According to Boyarsky, what drew him to the project was what he sees as the franchise's untapped potential for storytelling. "A lot of people are afraid that we're going to slow the gameplay down by enriching the story parts of the game. We're not doing that at all." The idea is to use some simple cinematic techniques such as dialogue rather than monologue to convey quest information and crafting richer backstories for the main characters that will be reflected in their artwork and the way they view the central action of the story.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
"I often use other games as examples of why story is important, even in an action game," Boyarsky said. "Sadly few games really love to tell stories." He cites games like Half-Life and Half-Life 2 as examples of games that integrate stories into dialogue and environment without sacrificing any of their fast-paced action. "The word around the office is that Diablo III is 'action with a capital A'," he said. "Lately, though, it seems like people are looking for more story in genres that aren't necessarily known for being story-driven." This is what pushes Boyarsky on. "People are ready for us to take Diablo III to new places rather than make Diablo all over again."</blockquote>
<br>
Innovation in something other than the perspective used by the graphics department? The mind boggles.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hmmm... I missed the "" and messed the link. Is corrected now.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ok, now I'm really interested. It seems that DiabloIII might be something more than just a hack&slash fest.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is a totally unexpected turn of events.

Now I actually give a damn about Diablo 3.

Mareus

Magister
ghostdog said:
Ok, now I'm really interested. It seems that DiabloIII might be something more than just a hack&slash fest.

At best it will be like Divine Divinity imo.

Nightjed

Liturgist
i think mixing more story with diablo will not end well, story and random gameplay dont mix ...

AzraelCC

Scholar
Nightjed said:
i think mixing more story with diablo will not end well, story and random gameplay dont mix ...

It could, if they would place some areas that are randomized and provide the avenue for multiplayer/farming.

I don't mind playing through the story the first time, it does have its fun moments and fleshes out the world. In D2, my major gripe was really the Diablo going back to hell part. I didn't see any reason why he should do that, if the ultimate goal is to unleash hell on Sanctuary. It was clearly a decision made just to fight Diablo in hell, no more, no less.[/quote]

Whipporowill

Erudite
Go go Leo!

I would certainly have played D3 without Boyarsky aboard, but it certainly does get me more interested to say the least. Having someone that cares about story on any kind of game never hurts...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
AzraelCC said:
Nightjed said:

It could, if they would place some areas that are randomized and provide the avenue for multiplayer/farming.

I don't mind playing through the story the first time, it does have its fun moments and fleshes out the world. In D2, my major gripe was really the Diablo going back to hell part. I didn't see any reason why he should do that, if the ultimate goal is to unleash hell on Sanctuary. It was clearly a decision made just to fight Diablo in hell, no more, no less.
[/quote]

I believe he was going back to prepare the legions of Hell to attack Sanctuary, while Baal traveled to Arreat to corrupt the worldstone.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"At best it will be like Divine Divinity imo."

Hope not. that game is one of the most overrated games ever, and just plain suckeed. It had potential; but potential is not enough.

If D3 is even remotely fun; it'll be a superior game.

LRP

Novice
Well this looks hopeful. Perhaps we'll see some great story along with the usual Diablo scenario. Wasn't someone from Bethes complaining about "innovation"? It'd be a hoot if Diablo 3 pulls off a great story line along with the 'action elements' leaving FO 3 ppl to eat dirt. IMHO not going to be something all that hard to do.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Leo. that's our man in the enemy arpg camp

did he say dialogues instead of monologues? hmm... I wonder if it won't be just your character talking with npcs without your control...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Having a dialog, even without any control, is better from a narrative point of view than a monolog from the character you address. If well-written it can flesh out the story.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ander Vinz said:
skyway said:
your character talking with npcs without your control...
So you didn't see gameplay footage?

no. I only watched the presentation with Boyarsky to get the info and stopped watching when that other guy I don't give a shit about started talking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom