Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BioWare working on KoTOR MMO

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3

At the risk of Saint re-voking my news posting rights... <a href="http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/07/17/riccitiello-confirms-kotor-mmo-from-bioware/">KoTOR is becoming an MMO made by BioWare</a>! There's not much, so here's the whole scoop:
<br>
<blockquote>EA boss John Riccitiello confirmed at E3 today that BioWare’s working on a new Knights of the old Republic game with an MMO “component” to it.
<br>
<br>
The project has been heavily rumoured for some time.
<br>
<br>
“We’ve got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development,” said Riccitiello.
<br>
<br>
“The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon.
<br>
<br>
“And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about - in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it.”
<br>
<br>
He was then asked if the game was Knights of the old Republic and his response was a resounding, “Yes.”</blockquote>
<br>
MMO "component"? Also, he loses points for not using the word "epic".
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Santander</b>!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I...just...don't get it. I had always dismissed KotOR MMO rumours as complete hogwash, because it was too sensationalist to be true. And yet...it is.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since there really aren't any infos, the only thing to do here is to wait and see how it will turn out.

The information "A MMO in the KotOR universe" per-se is neither bad nor good.

btw.... 1111 weee loooool rofl omg w00t.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How couldn't you know it was Kotor 3 MMORPG, Wyrmlord? Bioware has been hiring writers for it for a long time now. Even the job-ad said "for an MMORPG".

Mareus

Magister
This is one Bioware game I am going to skip, unless it will also feature a remarkable single player game in it.

Deleted member 7219

I want KOTOR 3, not KOTOR Online.

Damn you, Bioware.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Mareus said:
This is one Bioware game I am going to skip, unless it will also feature a remarkable single player game in it.

"EA boss John Riccitiello confirmed at E3 today that BioWare’s working on a new Knights of the old Republic game with an MMO “component” to it."

It seems it will feature single player. Though I don't know if it's going to be remarkable.

Chefe

Erudite
Dragon Age will be Bioware's Swan Song - one last hurrah before it dies a fiery death at the helms of their MMO, and EA shall watch from on-high and laugh.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
KOTOR '3' Features:

Singleplayer GRINDAN mode -- Level up your character(s)* for online play!

Online Mode -- Requires EA ONLINE subscription for as low as $14.99 a month!

* Additional characters, while free in GRINDAN mode, require a small fee of $4.99 to be utilized on our servers. This is to prevent abuse and credit farming.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Angler said:
Dragon Age will be Bioware's Swan Song - one last hurrah before it dies a fiery death at the helms of their MMO, and EA shall watch from on-high and laugh.

While ambivalent to it, this prophecy is oddly compelling. What studio hasn't EA ruined?

Murk

Arcane
my precious precious westwood studios...

...what happened to you, my love?

Chefe

Erudite
Jasede said:
Angler said:

While ambivalent to it, this prophecy is oddly compelling. What studio hasn't EA ruined?

Maxis. Will Wright is somehow immune to their effects.

As an RPG fan, whether or not you like Bioware is irrelevant. They are one of the last bastions of our genre. To lose them would be a blow to the roleplaying industry. They have sold out hard and we have ridiculed them, but they should not be forsaken. Unlike Bethesda, they have caused us no harm.

History supports the prophecy. Bioware will fall and we all are powerless to stop it. Perhaps one day, far into the future, David Gaider will tell us the reasons behind sending his company to the digital guillotine.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Maxis? Will Wright? The only reason Maxis style games are still around is because of their appeal to casual gamers when dumbed down significantly. I mean, hell, the last Sim City wasn't even made by them because they're too busy with dumbed down Spore.

Will is in no way immune to them. He's just good at bending his ideals.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Angler said:
History supports the prophecy. Bioware will fall and we all are powerless to stop it. Perhaps one day, far into the future, David Gaider will tell us the reasons behind sending his company to the digital guillotine.

Stock Options.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Well, it's not like Kotor II benefited much from its setting. I'd say the setting and mechanics of the first held it back more than anything. Of course, based on what's on the horizon, Obsidian has terrible taste in setting anyway, but whatever.

Chefe

Erudite
The kingcomrade respawn rate would have to be toned down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom