Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol decisions, blandness and timers

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

First up, <a href="http://au.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/obsidian-project-1/891511p1.html">GameSpy take a look at Alpha Protocol</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Our E3 demo began with Thorne in Moscow, being given an assignment by his handler to somehow get into the American Embassy to talk to a Russian diplomat who might have some information on his situation. The method Thorne uses to get in is completely up to the player. He may use his stealth skills to sneak by the U.S. Marines guarding the place, he can choose to go in gun ablazin', or he can just walk up to a guard and try to bluff his way in using verbal legerdemain. The key is that there really is no wrong choice, though different choices will have different consequences for Thorne. The larger point is that these are the kinds of decisions that will make the rookie Michael Thorne into super-spy Michael Thorne with an operating style and personality that's reflective of all the choices the player has made about him.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/891/891912p1.html">While IGN had this to day</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Then there are some special attacks that you can also queue up as well. One lets you basically go on a rampage with effectively unlimited ammunition, while another gives you a version of bullet time that lets you target three enemies in slow motion. It then kicks back to real-time, unleashing a fusillade of fire.
<br>
<br>
Frankly, the game looks like it was revealed a bit too early. The textures and art design looks more than a bit bland, and the character detail isn't up to par with current games. Hopefully Obsidian can polish things up, but it also has some time, since Alpha Protocol won't ship till next year.</blockquote>
<br>
IGN also talk about some kind "timer" which starts ticking when you need to make decisions and that you only have a handful of seconds to decide whether you want to talk to the guard or start shooting. It sounds a bit... forced.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
IGN also talk about some kind "timer" which starts ticking when you need to make decisions and that you only have a handful of seconds to decide whether you want to talk to the guard or start shooting. It sounds a bit... forced.

I like this concept, it was also introduced in Fahrenheit, and it keeps the pace at a regular level, while also effectively denying such things as:

guard: Who the hell are you? You better give me a reason for being here asap

Player dialogue options:
-gtfo (gunfight)
-oh, uh I'm the plumber (bluff check)

and then you stand there for 10 minutes contemplating what you should do, while the guard goes and gets a coffee in the time you think about what to say.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

hate to nitpick but going guns a blazing into an US embassary seems like a really, really WRONG choice =/

otherwise it reads bland and mediocre, i think it might even flop in the mainstream audience (well not if it were released by a big name) unless its a released at a date with little competition.

sorry OE but not interested - i ll buy 2 copies of SoZ though i promise !

Lumpy

Arcane
So 'rookie Michael Thorne' (wasn't it Thorton) is capable of killing all the US marines guarding the embassy? WTF?
Also why must there be no wrong decisions? Why the fuck can a game like AoD have better ideas than these games made by professionals? Doesn't make any sense.
This game sounds shitty. Too bad.

Texas Red

Whiner
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
otherwise it reads bland and mediocre, i think it might even flop in the mainstream audience (well not if it were released by a big name) unless its a released at a date with little competition.

No shit. It definitely won't exceed expectations, I can guarantee you that. One one side you have dated graphics with no distinctive style(compare them to Bloodlines) and mediocre combat, on the other side you have semi RPG elements with such innovation as the "stances". A game that won't please anyone. If it will flop, Obsidian only deserves this; they were trying to reach all of the possible audiences while sacrificing the actual gameplay.

fastpunk

Arbiter
His name is Michael Thorton mister profeshunal journalist. He was there at the demo and I really doubt the fact that no one from Obsidian mentioned the name Thorton. The idiot was probably not even paying attention.

As for the game, considering the previews and the "omg, dated graphics!" reaction I'm starting to believe that AP will largely go unnoticed. Truth is, the environments don't look anything special but the character models and especially facial features look really well. I hope Obsidian can deliver on the role-playing part, the whole part about the embassy sounds promising. Reminds me of Bloodlines.

Mareus

Magister
Lumpy said:
So 'rookie Michael Thorne' (wasn't it Thorton) is capable of killing all the US marines guarding the embassy? WTF?
Also why must there be no wrong decisions? Why the fuck can a game like AoD have better ideas than these games made by professionals? Doesn't make any sense.
This game sounds shitty. Too bad.

''l'art pour l'art'' anyone?

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Yeah. . . This game and aliens are probably huge mistakes. They probably won't even be redeemed by later expansions like NWN2, since the engines are based on stupid mechanics.

Shoelip

Arbiter
If you actually can talk your way through allot of situations then I'm interested. Too many games force you into combat after combat even when you're playing a diplomatic character. Having a good number of diplomatic options would be quite refreshing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sounds like covert action
Image:Sid_Meier%27s_Covert_Action_Coverart.png

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Re: ...

From the article, there is a battle going on inside the embassy already. If you get in peacefully, you don't arouse the ire of the marines, but if you kill the guard, then both sides are hostile. I think anyone with half a brain should realize that shooting your way into the embassy is stupid, but I'd rather have that option than have an immortal guard that I have to persuade or sneak past. Perhaps amidst the confusion inside you think that you can get away with killing the guard. Whatever. As long as the stealth and persuasion options are available, why should anyone complain that you can also kill everyone in your way to completing your super important national security mission?

Heck, even in Splinter Cell you could essentially kill everyone on most missions if you want to play like a moron.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
I really don't have a problem with the timer system, either. You can save beforehand if you want, but in the flow of the game, everything is voiced and there's no reason in the context of the game to stand there thinking about it when the character needs to make a decision at that moment. I expect the character to have a reasonable amount of information to make the decision when it comes up.

It really doesn't hinder anything besides people who can't make a decision and instead go on internet forums to find out what they should do. There are so many "Should I kill this guy or that guy?" threads on the GTA4 forums that it's just pathetic.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Truth said:
That timer blows. How the fuck am I supposed to eat pizza while making dialogue choices at the same time now? Fucking Obsidian.

It might even be worse than that dreadful spirit meter in that Betrayer game that they did, which prevented me from alt-tabbing to read on the internet without pausing. When will Obsidian learn?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just hope they don't pull a Bloodlines and have it so that no matter what, you'll still be shooting your way out of the last portion of the game, even if you focused on speech related skills.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
At best it sounds like Deus Ex, plus diplomat options. If so I think Obsidian could do a lot worse, even if it isn't an RPG by the official definition listed in Jasede's Dictionary of Video Game Genres.

I just hope they don't pull a Bloodlines and have it so that no matter what, you'll still be shooting your way out of the last portion of the game, even if you focused on speech related skills.

x2

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Bluebottle said:
At best it sounds like Deus Ex, plus diplomat options. If so I think Obsidian could do a lot worse, even if it isn't an RPG by the official definition listed in Jasede's Dictionary of Video Game Genres.

x2

I would be thrilled with a better Deus Ex, or a Splinter Cell RPG. That is exactly what I want out of this game.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Jaesun said:
Sovy Kurosei said:
The timer blew in Fahrenheit and it will blow here.

A timer on dialog response "will blow" as you say. Why? Enlighten me.

Because a dialog timer adds nothing to the game to make it more enjoyable or exciting as other timers may do. It depends on the context it is being used in. This is why we put ketchup and salt on fries but not on our ice cream.

Dark Matter

Prophet
The dialog timer is a great idea. Truly makes the game more lifelike IMO. Now the socially inept like me can experience the same tension that I would feel in real life when conversing with people, where it's a constant struggle of finding the right thing to say and saying something soon enough to avoid an awkward silence.

sabishii

Arbiter
Sovy Kurosei said:
Jaesun said:
Sovy Kurosei said:

Because a dialog timer adds nothing to the game to make it more enjoyable or exciting as other timers may do. It depends on the context it is being used in. This is why we put ketchup and salt on fries but not on our ice cream.
I agree that it would be annoying if you had to read the dialogue choices you're given (as I just saw in a Fahrenheit screenshot). However, in AP all you have to do is appraise the situation and determine the correct "stance" to use, which should turn out pretty reflesive.

Little Donkey

Scholar
sabishii said:
Sovy Kurosei said:
Jaesun said:
Sovy Kurosei said:

I agree that it would be annoying if you had to read the dialogue choices you're given (as I just saw in a Fahrenheit screenshot). However, in AP all you have to do is appraise the situation and determine the correct "stance" to use, which should turn out pretty reflesive.
To me: not the classic style, not good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom