Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Project Salus log of logs

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Cube Warfare; Project Salus

This is the uneditted chat log of our discussion with Matt Brown about Project Salus, which is an independently developed, post apocalyptic CRPG with management sim stuff as well. Here's a clip:

[Clockwork] Don't let those engineers die! The artist can go, but not those fixers of machinery and such
[Clockwork] :)
[MattBrown] in a sense, all technologies are available to you at the start... the problem isn't the technology, but the resources
[Clockwork] ok
[Saint_Proverbius] Artists create morale, and as a back up.. FOOD!
[MattBrown] heheheh exactly
[MattBrown] Technicians can repair equipment, but Engineers can actually fashion repair parts
[Clockwork] Solient Green is people!!
[MattBrown] which is very essential
[Saint_Proverbius] Soylent Green is ARTISTS!​

Read the full thing for even more fun about eating people and babies and stuff.

EEVIAC

Erudite
It makes a huge difference when the developer can actually speak English. Then again the chances of UK, US and Australian developers making games that I would want to talk to them about is pretty slim.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I like the stuff at the end about Captain Vapourware.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I figured out the BR problem. Calis has seperate tables in the database he's setup to host the news and the articles for the Codex doesn't he? IE: Extra tables above and beyond those for the phpBB forum.

Going by TA's newnews.php and editnews.php, creating a news post puts information into two tables, the phpBB forum to create the topic, and another table which holds the same data, but is set up for the front page. It doesn't put BR's into the phpBB forum but it does put them into the "newstabel" (sic) so the front page displays correctly.

When you edit the item, it sucks the data from the "newstabel" (sic) (NOT from the phpBB forum) and then puts those changes into BOTH the news AND phpBB, hence the BR's which weren't there before, now appear. Because of the way phpBB works, the BR's as well as carriage returns create new lines, so you get double-spacing. I *think* the reason that making a new post doesn't do this because of the extra code Calis has in newnews.phph to create the topic in the first place.

I've just fixed it at TA. All I did was find these lines of code in both editnews.php and newnews.php:
$htmlbody=str_replace("\n","<br>\n",$htmlbody);

And replace it with this:
$htmlbody=str_replace("\n","<br>",$htmlbody);

Behold! The power of the \n. I don't know enough about PHP to make it read from phpBB though instead of Calis own table data, so I can't fix the BR's appearing that TA gets (and potentially that the Codex may get too, depending on what alterations Calis has or hasn't made to his code).

As I said, I'm not sure on the differences between the code here, but I'm guessing it's a similar problem.

Calis

Pensionado
I actually fixed the problem here (I think), I just never got around to putting the new version on T-A...

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Calis said:
I actually fixed the problem here (I think), I just never got around to putting the new version on T-A...
Heh. Probably doesn't matter anyway as the new code we'll end up using (courtesy of Temaperacl) can handle BBCode for the front page news.

I just have to hope I don't break much with all the intended modifications it'll need...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom