Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Undrentide heavy petting at Warcry

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide

<a href="http://www.warcry.com/">Warcry</a> has posted <A href="http://www.warcry.com/scripts/news/view_news.phtml?site=15&id=11641">their review</A> of <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com/shadows">Shadows of Undrentide</a>, giving it heaps and heaps of praise - like here in the conclusion:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Overall I say the game deserves high marks for originality, game play and shear fun. It?s not for those that want to just go out and kill everything in the world, but more for a good story and some great high adventure, especially sharing the experience with your friends. You can't beat Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<i>Originality</i>? It's an <i>expansion pack</i>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="Http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>.

Petey_the_Skid

Liturgist
I would sure hope there's originality in an expansion pack, else there would be little point in purchasing one. From everything I've heard of the NWN OC it's very likely an expansion pack will be more original than the first game.

headache

Novice
"Shear fun"? Looks like a new weapon type is included, for smiting foes, and for wool-farming!

Voss

Erudite
Thank you for reminding me of the extremely dull ultima online experience.

Balthamael

Liturgist
I am confused. First they praise the game, and then, only in the last sentence of the review they refer to game-killing bugs.

You can't beat Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide.

So, which is it? Is it playable at all, never mind any good?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Petey_the_Skid said:
I would sure hope there's originality in an expansion pack, else there would be little point in purchasing one. From everything I've heard of the NWN OC it's very likely an expansion pack will be more original than the first game.

How original can an expansion pack be where it's only a new module, a few feats, and so on? Especially a module for a game that has as many limitations as NWN has.

Balthamael said:
I am confused. First they praise the game, and then, only in the last sentence of the review they refer to game-killing bugs.

You can't beat it means it's a winner, i.e. good.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
How original can an expansion pack be where it's only a new module, a few feats, and so on? Especially a module for a game that has as many limitations as NWN has.

Well, the thing with most expansion packs is, that the originality lies only in story, really. Sure, the average expansion pack adds new stuff to the game, whether it be new units, new monsters, new features, whatever. But all it boils down to is an extension of the original game with a new campaign. I am sure it will be original in it's story, as compared to the OC, but that's probably about it. I've seen very few expansion packs that radically altered the game they were meant for. They do exist though. The X-Men: Apocalypse expansion for Quake is an good example of that. It was pretty much a totally new game.

Saint_Proverbius said:
You can't beat it means it's a winner, i.e. good.

Unless of course they are referring to the first Wanderer Of Y's game for the Sega Genesis. The final boss was unbeatable unless you cheated. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom