Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview NWN 2: Storm of Zehir interview at RPG Vault

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir; Obsidian Entertainment

Well, at least <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/899/899068p1.html">part one</a>. Jonric from RPG Vault has interviewed several Obsidian developers regarding their newest NWN 2 expansion, due to be released this year during the winter.<blockquote><b>Jonric: Considering it's a pretty significant departure from the property's past, why did you decide to implement full party customization?</b>
<br>
<br>
<b>Tony Evans</b>: Well, I'd like to be able to say that our decision to have full-party customization in Storm of Zehir was motivated primarily by the millions of voices of our fans crying out for it. However, I was frankly deaf to those voices - or hard of hearing at least. Instead, I listened to my inner geek, at whose behest I neglected socializing during my formative years for the sake of enjoying great party-based computer role-playing games such as the original Pool of Radiance and other Gold Box releases, Wizardry, Might & Magic, Magic Candle, the first Final Fantasy, and many others with titles including something about wizards, magic or fantasy.
<br>
it allows us to create a game with a truly epic scale without making exploration tedious or same-y. It offers more dynamic, non-linear play. It provides a grander sense of adventure and travel.
<br>
That voice in my head commanded me to make Storm of Zehir all about the party, insisting that there were others out there that might actually enjoy it. However, you can be assured that we're taking the best of classic role-playing, and lovingly sculpting those influences into a modern adventure. We're not simply cloning games from the past and foisting them on unsuspecting individuals who weren't even born when the first Final Fantasy came out. Um, I'm making myself sound really old, am I not? The voice in my head is telling me to change the subject...
<br>
<br>
<b>Jonric: What are the main benefits this change will bring, and what's your response to those who are saying it will alter the nature of the game? </b>
<br>
<br>
<b>Tony Evans</b>: The pros of doing a party-based game are numerous and sundry, but I'll go over a couple of that are more important. One advantage is that you will be able to fill the ranks of your group with whatever kinds of characters you like, plus you can customize them as you see fit and get a lot of reactivity based on factors such as race, class, gender, skill, attributes, and deity. And if a particular member just isn't working out, you can just drop him or her off at any tavern; the replacement can be another that you create, or any of the various cohorts you can recruit throughout your adventures.
<br>
<br>
Also, our new party conversation system will give you far more interactivity and choice than you've ever had before in dialogues. No longer will you be forced to sit idly while the game's story is spoon-fed to you by talking heads. Your party members will have a lot of different reactions that you can choose from to steer exchanges where you want them to go, and if you get bored or confounded, you can leave any conversation at any time.
<br>
<br>
To those who feel that full party customization changes the nature of the game, my response is yes... yes, it does, and you will thank us later. ;-)</blockquote>So it seems that even though the expansion will be more about "adventure and exploration" than "narrative pacing", dialogue will still be an important part of the game.
<br>
<br>
Read the interview <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/899/899068p1.html">here</a>; it also tells e.g. about new locations and Fallout and Darklands being an inspiration.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Starwars</b>!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Really can't wait!!!!

Take heed Bethesda. Take heed.

Sarvis

Erudite
I don't suppose there's any chance they are adding autopause features so I can pretend it's turn based, is there?

Warden

Arbiter
Sounds very good. But I'm a bit concerned about the size of the exterior areas. They are too small in NWN2.
For example, Drakensang has pretty big exterior areas and that really adds to the atmosphere since you can't bump into an invisible wall after 100 m in each direction. Moreover, those areas run very smoothly when I turn the grass and various ground vegetation off (shadows don't impact performance at all, unlike in NWN2..).

100 areas is not bad though. That's a lot of places to explore. Although I hope they didn't count in the small house interiors into the 100 areas number. :)

Texas Red

Whiner
Still can't understand what's the deal with these "cohorts". Are they "cohorts" and not companions because they are simpler? If I can have extra dialogs and content with these henchmen you bet your ass I'm not going to have a custom party.

I reckon people(mostly women) on the boards of NWN 2 OC will be delighted to see a happy adventure.

Azarkon

Arcane
I can see how the party conversation system could get annoying, depending on how they implement it. If you have to scan through the talk lists of 4-6 characters to see all the available responses each time the NPC speaks, for example, that could get mighty tedious. Then again, it's one way of making the game last longer. :wink:

Starwars

Arcane
Some are DI, however the main new thing to bitch about is lack of romance, the party creation (and that you roleplay a party so to speak, and not a single person) and the fact that the Cohorts won't be "Free Souls".

And that the player instead gets to choose what they say and if they say it (there was an example of this in another interview somewhere), instead of having them yapping on. I would also guess this is why they are called Cohorts instead of whatever they've been called before, because you have control over what they say in dialogues which hasn't been done before in NWN afaik. And of course, we get a new PR word.
I love a well-written, heavy dialogue companion. But this will be a nice change of pace.

Warden, I would suspect that 100 area do count smaller interiors as well. Otherwise... Well, let me say that I would be quite amazed at how much work they got done for an expansion.

It does sound pretty ambitious for an expansion though, so who knows.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Area is a very specific term used by the toolset.

Campaigns contain modules.
Modules contain areas.

We have 100+ areas in the game.

Warden

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
Area is a very specific term used by the toolset.

Yes, but it's not a very informative term. :) You could fill the exterior area of West Harbor with 100 + houses (with interiors) and call it a 100 areas game.
Saying "we have 27 exterior areas and 80 interior areas" would be more informative and
it would indeed be cool to have much more houses you can actually enter.

quasimodo

Augur
Sarvis said:
I don't suppose there's any chance they are adding autopause features so I can pretend it's turn based, is there?

You can make a simple autopause by using a mouse/keystroke macro program like Autohotkey. I have the sequence: spacebar...wait 6 seconds...spacebar hotkeyed to my right alt key. When a combat situation first arises I hit spacebar to pause. After that I hit right alt and the game pauses after 6 seconds of action (roughly a turn in NWN2) I can then issue orders and hit my rt alt "end of turn button" again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom