Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News News Flash: Fallout 3 is a Shooter

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

GameTrailers is hosting three brand spanking new <b><a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html" target="blank">Fallout 3</a></b> videos showing off the first-person shootering. There's one with <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41333.html" target="blank">trench warfare</a>, another with a <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41324.html" target="blank">Brotherhood of Steel battle</a> (note how he fires the nuclear catapult about 15 feet from the target), and another with <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41331.html" target="blank">underground spelunking</a>.
<br>
<br>
There's also an interview with Todd Howard over at <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3815/falling_into_fallout_3_director_.php" target="blank">Gamasutra</a> and a nice little <a href="http://tech.msn.com/products/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=10952515&imageindex=9" target="blank">nugget</a> from Matt Peckham letting us know that the first two Fallouts were overrated.
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks to Kharn.</i>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I really really really really hate gametrailers. 99% of times I want to enter the site I get 'page not found'

Lingwe

Liturgist
One thing that the haters jump on is the notion that it isn't a turn-based strategy game. Wrong! Hold down a button in combat, and it stops the clock, allowing you to call your next targeted shot. If you want, you can play the whole game that way.

Turn-based strategy game? Stopping the clock is now considered turn-based as opposed to being real time with pause?

WTF? Just when you think games journalists can't get any shittier they go and post something like that to prove that they can.

barzam

Novice
I think it looks like a shitty shooter too. It reminded me of a Duke3d deathmatch the way the npcs were running around all stiff.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The hype train is going full speed, it would seem.

Murk

Arcane
i really liked the first gears of war, i think the sequel is really taking things in a new direction

Chefe

Erudite
It doesn't look too bad. The dismemberments are a little too over the top. Still, I don't see any RPG gameplay here, which doesn't suprise me give it's not as shiny as bullets, so these trailers are pointless.

NiM82

Prophet
I can't believe how bad the weapon animations in particular are, reminds me of the rather static, tag based, animations in games of a decade ago... they really have no talent at all in that department. Given it's meant to be a FPS now, you'd think they'd put some effort into the 'gunplay' at least.

I still can't get over how disjointed and atmosphere breaking VATS appears to be, it's like a cheat mode, or crash camera or something. Fun maybe for watching replays, but not whilst your actually playing and twitching away.

It reminded me of a Duke3d deathmatch the way the npcs were running around all stiff.

How dare you compare this with Duke3D, Duke3d was fun goddamit.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Looks they made a bunch of cool textures and then put them through a grayscale filter, almost. That's not stylish, that's lazy.

Not everything in a post-apoc world should be of the same uniform shade of colorlessness. It just looks like a monitor malfunction rather than a believable world.

Chefe

Erudite
Rohit_N said:

The music and the narration are atmospheric, but the moment is broken when the two mutants come rushing in, unfortunately. I'm really glad to see that those gory deaths are mainly the result of the Bloody Mess perk, and without it deaths are less stupid. The old rocket is cool. I think the museum will be one of the first places I'll be going. VATS still looks like a cheat mode.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Apart from the Xbox version being pirated, FO3 news now even fail to provide any lulz.

Deleted member 7219

The worst thing about the combat is definitely the weapon animations, and the design of the weapons themselves. They just look flat, boring and non-responsive. And before someone goes 'lol does it matter', yes it does. First person combat is what this game is meant to be about, according to Bethesda.

Saxon1974

Prophet
It doesn't make me angry that this game will sell millions based on the hype, what makes me angry is it will sell millions and be called an RPG.

And it will win all kinds of RPG of the year awards.....

Its a freaking shooter....pretty soon we wont have any stats in RPGs anymore.

I think I need to find a new hobby.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
Wow, so open up vats, click on their head a few times, and they die easily. I also like, at the end of the 3rd video, that he shoots the ghoul in the face and blood flies from his foot.

Saxon1974

Prophet
sportforredneck said:
Saxon1974 said:
I think I need to find a new hobby.
I've never done PnP before. We could become the PnPCodex.

Tempting, but without losing my day job, dont think I would have that kind of time.

I guess Im just gonna hope that real CRPG's make a comeback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom