Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Storm of Zehir Previewing at Gamespy

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir; Obsidian Entertainment

Gamespy spent some <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/neverwinter-nights-2-storm-of-zehir/920469p1.html" target="blank">hands-on time</a> with Obsidian's <b><a href="http://www.obsidian.net/games/nwn2soz/index.html" target="blank">Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir</a></b>.
<br>
<blockquote>We began our adventures by going through the meticulously detailed character creation system looking for new races and classes to play with. The two new races in the game are interesting choices for players looking to walk on the dark side. The Yuan-ti Pureblood is a snake/human crossbreed who sports impressive natural armor, quick reflexes and bonuses in brains and personality. They're a natural Ranger for players looking for a combat class but we chose to go with Warlock in order to try out the new Hellfire Warlock prestige class (bigger demons! more fire!). The Gray Orcs, on the other hand, have a calmer, more contemplative disposition than their wilder cousins, and their physical skills make them great combat-oriented clerics. For this character, we chose to work toward becoming a Doomguide, a new prestige class focused on destroying the undead.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPG Watch</A>

Rhett Butler

Scholar
The only real open question we have about Storm of Zehir concerns the aforementioned decision to make character death permanent without a spell, a "life coin" available at Waukeen temples, or trekking back to town a cleric. While the idea is clearly to make combat more interesting by making players care about consequences, as in previous D&D games we just ended up back on the save-and-restore roller coaster.

Just because they decided to exploit quicksaves doesn't mean it's a bad feature. It's certainly better than making your characters immortal. With that system I would often not bother to heal a character if they had run out of useful spells, or I knew I could get through without them and didn't need to waste the potions. At least with this you have some incentive to keep your characters alive, even if it is only to avoid reloading.

FalloutBR

Educated
I kind of agree with Rhett. While playing NWN2 I felt like a spoiled child when all of my "dead" characters just got raised up from the dead after every fight. I mean, when that happens you just don't care about them anymore... the best system would be TOEE's where they lay down for some turns bleeding to death on the ground or if they receive a really damagin blow that completely maim their bodies they die and need a ressurection spell...
If people want to exploit the quicksave feature, it's their problem. It's pretty tempting I admit, but nothing that an Ironman mode can cure;

By the way, FO3 is dead, everybody know it's a ARPG with the Oblivion engine and a failed effort to emulate the previous Fallout atmosphere. People should turn their eyes to the people who are really trying to keep the CRPG genre alive with some "hardcore" features like permanent death... so let's give Storm of Zehir a little bit of our deserved attention.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I agree - stop focusing on FO3 and start talking about good RPGs like this one. I can't believe that there are so few people interested in Storm of Zehir.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
stony3k said:
I agree - stop focusing on FO3 and start talking about good RPGs like this one. I can't believe that there are so few people interested in Storm of Zehir.

It's not that no one is interested, I'd say most people here will get SoZ, it's that the codex is full of people who enjoy frothing at the mouth from moral outrage.

serch

Magister
I'm not very fond of nwn/nwn2 engine for combat, although it has other merits, but I'm interested in seeing if Obsidian can give it a tactical spin this time. Writing will probably be good, we know that. I also expect a C&C department better than the competence, with a not so story-driven game, so it's a must buy for me.

Also: I hope this includes a random encounter with a panzer.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Storm of Zehir will be good. I will buy it with money!

Now about Fallout 3! Fallout 3 will be a stinking butt filled with holes! I will not buy it with money! Instead I shall explore the deepest, farthest, icey-coldest, most depraving reaches of the hellish netherland for ways to aquire it... for just under a dollar!!

(The year 2012)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I hope they've managed to improve party control in combat. If it's as chaotic as NWN2 I can foresee having to use the quickload key way too much.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
FalloutBR said:
I kind of agree with Rhett. While playing NWN2 I felt like a spoiled child when all of my "dead" characters just got raised up from the dead after every fight. I mean, when that happens you just don't care about them anymore... the best system would be TOEE's where they lay down for some turns bleeding to death on the ground or if they receive a really damagin blow that completely maim their bodies they die and need a ressurection spell...
[\quote]

This is what is actually in the D&D rules and I have wondered ever since the first Baldurs Gate why this was not adopted for the video games. It's one of those things that really makes me scratch my head. It means that when you are first level you can't get killed by one Kobold dagger hit.

Warden

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
The sheer fact that Tony K's AI will now be the default AI = GIANT TRUCKLOAD OF WIN!

I'm really getting annoyed reading people who try so hard to be so different and unique with their expressions.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
The sheer fact that Tony K's AI will now be the default AI = GIANT TRUCKLOAD OF WIN!

Amin to that!

Anyway, the preview doesn't provide much in the way of new info. I like the perma death part.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Warden, in this analogy you are Kaelyn. Having level 1 characters in SoZ is akin to destroying the wall.

Don't worry though, Melirinda will make a thread in your honor. There may even be a Warden-Bishop romance mod.

deuxhero

Arcane
Spectacle said:
I hope they've managed to improve party control in combat. If it's as chaotic as NWN2 I can foresee having to use the quickload key way too much.

NWN2 has a quickload? I only figured out quicksave (f12) because of a loading screen bit (why can't I reasign this single key? seriously...)

Thrasher

Erudite
Oddness, isn't it? No quickload, only quicksave, and not remappable....

Exemplary point in the engine perhaps?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was going to disagree because surely no professional game engine would be that rigid, but then I remembered NWN1 was the same way. It was only less annoying because the save/load screens didn't take several minutes each.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom