Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Freedom Force 2 probings at RPGDot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Freedom Force versus the Third Reich; Irrational Games

<A href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> has <A href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=809">made an interview</A> with <b>Ken Levine</b> about <A href="http://www.myfreedomforce.com">Freedom Force versus the Third Reich</a>, covering things like graphics, throwing cars, the comic book era it's set in, and this about the game structure:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>RPGDot: Freedom Force's strength was the tactical team-based combat but the RPG aspect was basically limited to character creation and progression. Will The Third Reich remain mission-based? Will there be any branching story lines or other improvements to the RPG aspects of the title?
<br>
<br>
Ken Levine:</b> The game will indeed be mission-based. While the story won't have branching storylines of the Deus Ex variety, it should feel significantly different as you play as different characters.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Maybe they should change the name to <i>Linear Mission Force</i> then.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
As sucky as that news is, I'm still gonna give it a go. I need more superpowered communist bashing in my life. :) Too bad they couldn't have gone for more freedom though. But then again, you ARE playing a comic book through to the end. Let's just hope multiplayer gets beefed up and they supply us with a better editor to use. Especailly one that would let us make our own campaigns and such. Would be nice. :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I wonder how much fun it would be if one of the major villains was an american guy draped in the star spangled banner.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Exitium said:
I wonder how much fun it would be if one of the major villains was an american guy draped in the star spangled banner.

I don't see anything wrong with that. The problem is, by today's standards of game dev, he would probably be more like The Master where he's basically a good guy (by his own rights) trying to do what he feels is best for whatever and it'll be your job to reform him and if you kill him you lose the game. :?

More variety in villians would be a good thing for sure, but would someone be willing to do a villian like the one you mentioned and make him a complete maniacal baby raping bastard while he wears the stars 'n' stripes?

Maybe an indie title might, but I doubt any mainstream title's gonna touch that with any length of pole. Still, one can wish I suppose.

Spazmo

Erudite
This is a nazi-stompin' game superhero game. All villains are purely evil and they all either nazis or commies. In this kind of game, everything is morally very black and white, and I don't really think that kind of character is appropriate.

I do think it'd work in the oft-ruminated about Freedom Force 2, whcih was meant to be set in the 1970's and have a somewhat darker tone to reflect the comics of that time.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Meh, I sometimes prefer a game infused with character and story to that of a more open gameplay style.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
ecliptic said:
Meh, I sometimes prefer a game infused with character and story to that of a more open gameplay style.

Exactly. That's why I pointed out that you ARE playing through a comic book to it's end. I love Freedom Force, despite the linearity. It's a wonderful golden-ageish story with fitting dialogue and character backgrounds.

Still, you have to admit, freedom is good. And it CAN be done without sacrificing story and character. :)

Greenskin13

Erudite
Spazmo said:
I do think it'd work in the oft-ruminated about Freedom Force 2, whcih was meant to be set in the 1970's and have a somewhat darker tone to reflect the comics of that time.

I heard that the 70's thing was planned for the third installment, which I would have bought religiously. I really hope they do go along with it, though. Watchmen is still one of my favorite pieces of literature, and I'm sure those guys would make a fine homage to it.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Comics didn't get dark and broody till the mid-late 80's tho, thats when Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns made it in vogue for that kind of thing. 70's comics were still mostly morally black and white, with some really bad "hipster" dialogue (Sweet Jimminy Christmas!)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Greenskin13 said:
I heard that the 70's thing was planned for the third installment, which I would have bought religiously. I really hope they do go along with it, though. Watchmen is still one of my favorite pieces of literature, and I'm sure those guys would make a fine homage to it.

It'd be dificult to make a homage to Watchmen when taking into consideration the tongue in cheek humour which is FF's premise. I mean, they could mock, say, Rorscharch or The Comedian, but i don't think it'd work as a homage; it would end up as flat out parody. FF works better with old comics in mind. Watchmen was so different from what was being made then (and to a degree, different than what is being made now), and there wasn't anything in it that could be taken lightheartedly, imho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom