Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Chefe does Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Codex forumite Chefe decided to actually buy Fallout 3 and play it. He also decided to write a review. I decided to publish that review here. <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=176">You get to read it and decide whether that was a good thing or not</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Fallout 3 is a very enjoyable hiking simulator. This title has been bestowed by many upon Bethesda’s titles, and their post apocalyptic wonderland takes the cake. It’s fun, silly, odd, engaging, and engrossing. Much has been said about this game from both camps; the lovers and the haters. I consider it a worthwhile investment if discovery is your thing and you’re willing to take a break from the high fantasy worlds and high-tech sci-fi environs that populate most of today’s industry. Fallout 3 is down to earth while still being crazy. It’s difficult and accessible. It’s gory and humble. It’s the sum of gaming paradox.
<br>
But above all, it’s a post nuclear role playing game.</blockquote>
<br>
You may also wonder why the screenshots don't match up with the text but hey, I can only work with what I'm sent.

DefJam101

Arcane
A fairly unbiased review, it looks like. In any case it seems to focus equally on the game's flaws and merits, so that's a good thing. If the 'discovery' is Morrowind-like then I can perfectly understand giving this game praise. I might bargain-bin it at a later date. Best-case scenario, the light C&C will introduce more people to the genre.

This conclusion:

Thanks goes to Bethesda Softworks for creating such an immersive and enjoyable game, and to the RPG Codex for deciding that a Chefe review might just work out.

Comes somewhat abruptly, though. After you spent a paragraph calling it a hiking simulator. :shock:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
You, the proverbial role player, will enjoy the varied way you can respond to NPCs and the how you can shape the world through your actions

Ok, is this a joke?

Deleted member 7219

Well, I've been playing Fallout 3 almost non-stop for the last three days.

I've really, really enjoyed it.

It is NOT Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 has choices, dialogue trees, skill checks, and much more interesting quests this time around. And on a more shallow note, the character models actually look good now. And there are more than 5 voice actors, in fact I only recognised a few returning from Oblivion. There's a lot of new ones in Fallout 3, and they are good. Malcom McDowell isn't in it much, but he's cool. Liam Neeson is ok too, but underused. This is due more to the short length of the MQ than anything else.

Only negatives I can think of right now, is the main quest being way too short, there not being as many quests as I'd like, the change of the F1/F2 SPECIAL system into a bastardised version, where you can increase almost every skill to 100% by the end of the game, and you get a new perk every level, most of which are extremely unbalanced and take the challenge out of the combat system. And whoever decided to make all the bobbleheads give you skill bonuses should be fired.

But those are minor grievances. On the whole, Fallout 3 is a really good RPG. It's hard to believe it is from the same guys who made Oblivion and all the DLC shit that followed it.

Chefe

Erudite
What happened to my final score? I thought 78% was pretty fair.

DefJam101 said:
Comes somewhat abruptly, though. After you spent a paragraph calling it a hiking simulator. :shock:

Hiking simulators, by definition, must be immersive.

DefJam101

Arcane
Chefe said:
DefJam101 said:

Hiking simulators, by definition, must be immersive.

It's not immersive until I can hike in the nude, taking breaks to urinate on tree stumps, all while stabbing the occasional homeless bum.

Chefe

Erudite
I think you'll have to wait for the DLC to do that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hamster said:
You, the proverbial role player, will enjoy the varied way you can respond to NPCs and the how you can shape the world through your actions

Ok, is this a joke?

In that case this joke has gone for too long and is unfunny.

Matt7895 said:
It is NOT Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 has choices, dialogue trees, skill checks, and much more interesting quests this time around.
except the quality of aforementioned still remains shitty. But as long as a game has them it is a very good rpg :roll: Oh for fuck's sake, NWN2 OC must be considered a legendary game by now by Codexers because it does everything better than NOT Oblivion with guns and has more of it.

DefJam101

Arcane
Why can't people accept that F3 might just be a slightly above-average game?

Is that criminal these days? No one has said F3 is a great game. No fucking one. No one is using modern hype-speak when they say words like "average" or "enjoyable". Good means it is fun, has its own merits, and its own flaws. It does not mean that Fallout 3 in any way advances the genre or will be played for decades to come.

Oblivion > NWN2OC > ME > F3(?) > Heaps of other shit > F3(?) > NWN2MOTB > Fallout, PST, etc.

See that little white line your mind forms down the median of that list? It's called fucking average. F3 is above average. Big whoop, get over it.

vrok

Liturgist
The issue is that FO3 is a below average RPG and a below average action game at the same time. Not that it's above average in the generic "game" category, which it is. There's a difference.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
skyway said:
Hamster said:

Ok, is this a joke?

In that case this joke has gone for too long and is unfunny.

Matt7895 said:
It is NOT Oblivion with guns. Fallout 3 has choices, dialogue trees, skill checks, and much more interesting quests this time around.
except the quality of aforementioned still remains shitty. But as long as a game has them it is a very good rpg :roll: Oh for fuck's sake, NWN2 OC must be considered a legendary game by now by Codexers because it does everything better than NOT Oblivion with guns and has more of it.

You're so great, continue fighting the good fight :cool: :roll: :o

Chefe

Erudite
baby arm said:
A giant bee pokes you in the back.
When DU posted the review in the staff forum, I assumed this was the caption for a screenshot that hadn't been added in yet. Now I'm just confused.

When you want to find a bee, you cannot find them. When you don't want to find them, they're everywhere.

I'll admit... I wrote the review and was a little impatient with getting the"right" screenshots.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bah. Chefe is an asshole. His review makes me *almost* want to buy the game. Almost. But, I won't get suckered in by his pretty words. Bethesda won't get off that easy for their shitty past games.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Volourn said:
Bah. Chefe is an asshole. His review makes me *almost* want to buy the game. Almost. But, I won't get suckered in by his pretty words. Bethesda won't get off that easy for their shitty past games.

Shitty past games? Don't you recall Teh Codex hearts Daggerfall and Arena? :shock:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hello, Barrow_Bug. This is Volourn. NEWSFLASH: I don't give a fuck what the Codex likes. I only care what Volourn likes.

DefJam101

Arcane
Volourn said:
NEWSFLASH: I don't give a fuck what the Codex likes.

Nonsense Volly, you decide what games you like and dislike based on what the Codex likes and dislikes. Whatever the hivemind embraces, you shun.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
O RLY?

Then why do I love the FOs?

Why do I hate Betehsda?

Why do I think KOTOR series is overrated?

Why do I think MOTB is awesome?

Why am I pumped for VD's game?

Fuck. You are a tool.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Volourn said:
Hello, Barrow_Bug. This is Volourn. NEWSFLASH: I don't give a fuck what the Codex likes. I only care what Volourn likes.

:lol: Vol,my man you are always good for a giggle.

I'm wondering why you didn't mention anything about the complete lack of consequences in the game and how the thousands and millions of endings really boiled down to... well, three.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DefJam101 said:
Oblivion > NWN2OC > ME > F3(?) > Heaps of other shit > F3(?) > NWN2MOTB > Fallout, PST, etc.

Fucked up your signs. As in, they're backwards.

ixg

Erudite
I enjoyed oblivion because it made me feel powerful. When I feel powerful I stop thinking about my small-penis complex
That makes me happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom