Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info NWN upped to 1.61

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights

Yup, there's a <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch.html">new 1.61 patch</a> for <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a> and it's offshoot expansions for those looking for a less buggy ride. Here's a partial list of fixes:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>Made damage reduction for DD and barbarians stack.</li><li>Added dm_visualeffect console command. first param is int for vfx #, second is duration in seconds (float, optional). Can target ground, doors, creatures and placeable objects.</li><li>Fixed NPCs trying to use items that they were not usable due to race, alignment or class restrictions and standing around looking dumb.</li><li>Fixed Whirlwind timing for attacking so you can attack right away after finishing the whirlwind, and fixed too many attacks warnings</li><li>Fixed a bug with opening inventory while container is opened on top of open inventory, inventory was open but had no items.</li><li>Fixed a bug on LAN page where connect button was not being updated when the list is empty and a new server is added.</li><li>Fixed a crash in sound options GUI that could happen when Environment Effects=1 but had disabled hardware sound acceleration through DXDiag.</li></ul>
<br>
<br>
Maybe by 2010, all the bugs will be fixed.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.3dgamers.com">3D Gamers</a>
<br>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Fixed NPCs trying to use items that they were not usable due to race, alignment or class restrictions and standing around looking dumb.

I'm curious. Did you add the 'and standing around looking dumb' bit SP, or is that actually what they say in the bug fixes for the patch? Either way, that's hilarious. :lol:

Voss

Erudite
Its something Bio's been doing a lot lately. A lot of updates are heavily on the non-serious side. Check out most of the monster descriptions they posted for HotU- their trying for a giggly mood.

I suppose it could be considered funny, but it could also be taken as they regard what they do as a joke. I've mixed feelings about it- sometimes its amusing and sometimes its just unprofessional. I'm not entirely sure why I should care, but some days it just bugs me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Haha. Me to. With monsters, and stuff; it's amusing. With patch upodates; it's a bit unneccessary.

That said, I'm surprised no one here ragged on BIO for the semi failure that was patch 1.60 which reportedly screwed those who bought the Gold Set royally. :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeha, youa re right. I want my money back. i was stupid to buy a game I've been able to play a lot for almost two years now. Me stupid, and brainwashed. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
More like, me very stubborn, I'll prove to everybody what an awesome game NWN is :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. I'm stupid and brainwashed. RPGCodex proved me wrong. NWN sucks.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Oh, common, Volourn, that's no fun at all. What's with "it sucks" attitude? Don't tell me you are growing up? :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nah. If I'm gonan be stupid and brainwashed; it's cool it'll be at the hands of RPGCodex.

Seriously, I'm just plain tired of debating. In fact, I think the net in general kinda ruins one's love for games. Why? Because, everyone including myself, nitpicks games tod eath; it definitely makes it less fun.

Examples - I enjoyed both HOTU, and KOTOR enough to replay them; but I can't as I've debated, bashed, seen the faults that i just don't feel liek it anymore.

Even with TOEE, as much as I dislike it; I'm stuck wondering how much I'd like the game if I wasn't being an internet geek and picking at it's "many" faults. I'd probbaly would have nejoyed the game immensely if I was more "ignorant".

Oh well. It just goes to prove how much the net sucks.

Hopefully, I'll be able to stop psoting completely oen day on all webstites so everyone can rejoice and I can go back to enjoying games for what they are - games thata re there to help time pass by.

End of my pitiful rant. :oops:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Seriously, I'm just plain tired of debating. In fact, I think the net in general kinda ruins one's love for games. Why? Because, everyone including myself, nitpicks games tod eath; it definitely makes it less fun.
I know what you mean, I also had a number of games "ruined" for me that way. There was a time in my life when I couldn't talk to anybody about games (i.e. they listened but didn't care), that sucked much more then knowing that when you make a post about a game here people would "nitpick". Sharing your opinion and analyzing your experience is a great and even the best part of it. Without it your experience wouldn't be complete.

Examples - I enjoyed both HOTU, and KOTOR enough to replay them; but I can't as I've debated, bashed, seen the faults that i just don't feel liek it anymore.
I doubt that you "don't feel like it anymore" just because people here bitch about it. Probably you know that some points are valid, KOTOR is a good game, I was going to replay it too, but I know as well as you do that the only difference is a couple of lines and appearance. Arcanum on the other hand is very different each time you play and we all agree that it's a good game and no amount of nitpicking can bring it down.

Even with TOEE, as much as I dislike it; I'm stuck wondering how much I'd like the game if I wasn't being an internet geek and picking at it's "many" faults. I'd probbaly would have nejoyed the game immensely if I was more "ignorant".
Being stupid is not a solution. I know your points about ToEE, they are valid, I expected more, and was disappointed myself with the story and dialogues. Granted, there are some in the temple, but it's not much overall. I love the combat though, I'm a big fan of TB combat so any game that has a solid TB combat is a good game overall.

Hopefully, I'll be able to stop psoting completely oen day on all webstites so everyone can rejoice and I can go back to enjoying games for what they are - games thata re there to help time pass by.
Don't think so. I tried that and it sucks too. You can't go back to being a kid playing his first computer game and being immersed in a gameworld for the first time. It's worth noting that games were better too back in the days. Only geeks had computers and they ruled the virtual Earth (and beyond) These days a PC is a household item and the balance of geeks vs morons has shifted again. Kotor's story is being celebrated as the best of the century? Have these morons read any fucking books in their lifes? oh well...I feel your pain, and I hope you will recover. I'm here if you need me :wink:

taks

Liturgist
Volourn said:

actually, i don't think being ignorant would have really helped with anything other than combat. being ignorant (of D&D as well) certainly would have helped you see past the rules nerfings simply because you wouldn't know. being ignorant, however, can't change the empty feeling you get with ToEE's story. the same goes for NWN's OC, IMO.

i disagree with vault's assertion that you can never "bring back the glory days" so to speak. unfortunately, you'll have to drop out for a while to do that. i was immersed, to say the least, with the old MM and BT games in the 80's and then stopped playing till BG1 hit the shelves (almost 10 years). again, suddenly i was immersed and oblivious to my surroundings (as well as the game's flaws). now, of course, i'm so caught up in this damn "crpg world" that i'm having a hard time enjoying games... :(

mark

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Get a room you two :P

Lots of things get accused of being nitpicking that really aren't, Things like Story sucking, lack of interactivity, revolving door dialogues blowing immersion, characters not only breaking the fourth wall, but burning it down and pissing on it by talking about camera angles and hot keys. Some of these issues maybe subjective, but none are nitpicking, tho they all get accused of being such. Nitpicking is complaining that the word the is spelled teh during the second dialogue in the third chapter.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
That said, I'm surprised no one here ragged on BIO for the semi failure that was patch 1.60 which reportedly screwed those who bought the Gold Set royally. :D

Actually, I didn't post it because when I noticed the news, I also noticed it borked a lot of stuff. So, rather than post three news items(1.60 is out! 1.60 is pulled! 1.61 is out!), I just waited for this one.

Nomad

Novice
When they get all the bugs out depends entirely upon when they stop adding features and content. Even if they fixed everything before adding new features, there'd still be a non-zero chance of one of those new features breaking something else unnoticed. So, as long as they continue to support the community with updates and new stuff, I'm willing to put up with the occassional problem.

Note, this is not a sentiment I reserve for BioWare. Any game company that continues to support one of their products a year and a half after it's shipped is worthy of some slack.

N.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom