Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome interview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome; Wolf Mittag

<b>Wolf Mittag</b> of <a href=http://www.teudogar.com/home.htm>Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome</a> fame has taken a lot of time to <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=87>answer our questions</a> about his new game
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>4. I played the demo which I recommend to all our readers, and I couldn't help but notice that there are magical weapons and wizardry skills. How does that fit into a historically authentic RPG?</i>
<br>
<br>
I included wizardry into the game exactly in order to make it historically authentic: When you're playing "Teudogar", I want you to feel like a genuine Germanic barbarian - and that includes superstitiousness.
<br>
<br>
People strongly believed in wizardry, and this belief probably made it actually effective. E.g., if you believed in blessings, knowing that you'd been blessed would free you from worrying about a possible defeat. This would enhance your concentration and courage, thereby actually improving your chances of winning a duel. That fact that you attributed your success to a supernatural cause doesn't bother me as long as there is reason to believe such a "spell" genuinely worked.
<br>
<br>
This is the kind of "magic" included in "Teudogar". It's not about gaining instant victory by pulverizing your enemies, but rather about tilting the odds in your favor by giving you confidence, or by demoralizing your enemies. Today we'd consider it plain autosuggestion, psychology, placebo effects, or manipulation; yet it was equally effective when it was called "magic" and its effects were attributed to higher powers' interference.</blockquote>
<br>
That's actually a great way to handle "Magic" in a realistic game world. As George Constanza once said "It's not a lie if you believe it"
<br>
<br>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
"If i say i am flying, and if you believe i am flying, then i am, in fact, flying." -- O'Brien, 1984

Not exactly correct, i translated from the non-english version i read.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, this all boils down to plain old existentialism. If -all- people believe something is true, it will be understood as such, because there's absolutely no way to determine otherwise (in the hypothetical situation) given that there is no opposing point of view.

All in all, there's really no way to determine what is and what isn'tin absolute form because specific 'entities' are abstractions of reality via the process of negation and nihilation of 'everything else'.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I read somewhere about existentialism a long time ago and cannot remember where. I don't really remember much about it except for one thing the person said. They said that per this belief, if EVERYONE in the world believed the sun would never rise, then it would never rise. That's pretty deep, if you ask me.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Actually this doesn't deal with "if everyone believes", it deals with YOUR belief and reaction of your enemies to that. If they see a crazy barb who just cursed them and now looks so sure of himself, all they have to do is hesitate to give the barb an edge and thus make his belief even stronger.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Actually this doesn't deal with "if everyone believes", it deals with YOUR belief and reaction of your enemies to that. If they see a crazy barb who just cursed them and now looks so sure of himself, all they have to do is hesitate to give the barb an edge and thus make his belief even stronger.

But on the other hand, the Ghost Shirts didn't work out so well for the Injuns.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The huge cultural and technological difference and strong Christian beliefs minimized reaction of the Europeans to the spirit beliefs of the Injuns.

Section8

Cipher
I read a book that was essentially a published thesis of a student who spent time studying with a Yaqui sorceror. Most of the "magic" involved a whole lot of peyote, but who's to say where reality ends and belief begins.?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Carlos Castaneda books? I had a friend who was a huge fan of these books because they gave him an excuse to smoke stuff in search of some divine and/or magical experience :lol: But the books were interesting as a window into shamanic cultures

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
The huge cultural and technological difference and strong Christian beliefs minimized reaction of the Europeans to the spirit beliefs of the Injuns.

Ghost Dance was based on Christian theology, though. I think it's more of a case that the bullets believed in themselves more than the hide shirts believed in themselves.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's usually the case with bullets. The power of their belief could be matched only by that of kevlar vests

alebrown

Novice
castenada

(i leap out of lurking to say!)
too bad carlos castenada was found to have MADE THE WHOLE THING UP.
yes, that's right, he fabricated a phd thesis. whee.

alex

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I thought everyone fabricated PhD thesis'ssseseies?
... thesi?

Section8

Cipher
Well, if that's the case, hats off to him. As far as I'm concerned, anyone can compile infrormation if it's laid out for them, but to invent and create fiction is a far greater talent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom