Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3: Gameplay Trumps Story

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3172024" target="blank">1UP had a chat</a> with Emil Pagliarulo to get his thoughts now that <b><a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html" target="blank">Fallout 3</a></b> is finished. One question covers why the player couldn't have one of his/her followers do the deed during the endgame.
<br>
<blockquote>EP: That's a great question, and one that's obviously come up quite a bit in different forums. Let me try to shed some light on why the game is like that -- it's a pretty interesting look inside the development process.
<br>
<br>
All of the followers were implemented into the game fairly late in development, after the main story had already been nailed down. So, you know, we had the scene at the end of the game, with deadly radiation, and never really compensated for the fact that you could have a Supermutant, or Ghoul, or robot, who could possibly turn the purifier on for you. We'd only ever planned for you sending Sarah Lyons into the purifier, because we knew, from a story standpoint, that she'd definitely be in there with you.
<br>
<br>
What we could do -- and what we did ultimately do -- is cover that stuff in dialogue. You can ask those followers to go into the purifier, and they'll tell you why they won't. We felt that fit with their personalities, but really, they didn't "sell" that to the player in a single line of dialogue. So, in the end, the player's left with a, "Huh, why the hell can't they do it?!" sort of feeling.
<br>
<br>
So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it, because the trade-off is, well, you get these cool followers to join you. You meet up with Fawkes near the end of the game, and it's true you can go right with him to the purifier. So we could've not had him there as a follower, and that would've solved the problem of him not going into the purifier -- because, at that point in development, that was the only fix we had time for. But we kept it, and players got him as a follower, and they seem to love adventuring him with. Gameplay trumped story, in that example -- as I believe it should have.
<br>
<br>
So if we'd planned better, we could've addressed that more satisfactorily. But considering how it all went down, I feel good about the decision we made there.</blockquote>
<br>
By the way, spoilers above.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">NMA</A>

Balor

Arcane
Ahhh! Me eyes! My braaains!
I think, by reading this load of apologetic bullshit and self-backslapping, I just got my IQ reduced by 50%.
I feel good about the decision we made there.
It means that did not learn anything, too. Respect--

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Some of those questions seem a bit daft too.

Behemoth said:
Why is there only one Behemoth in the main storyline?
YEH BECUZ 2 GIYANT MONSTARS WUD B AWSUM

EP said:
When we originally wrote the main story, your character died at the end. There was really only that one ending. But then we realized that, well, not having multiple ways to complete the game was pretty contrary to the spirit of Fallout.
When we originally wrote the story, you died BECUZ IT WUZ KOOL but then we were like "Oh fuck, Fallout".

Balor said:
It means that did not learn anything, too.
Nonsense. They learned something. See:

EP said:
What we didn't realize is that, largely because of Oblivion, people really expected Fallout 3 not to end! It's something they've come to expect of us, and we underestimated that. You can be sure it's a mistake we won't repeat in the future.
Anyway, reading that interview just seems to reinforce the view that Fallout 3 isn't worth picking up for me.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Turok said:
That guy make me laugh.
HO HO HO HO HO HO HE HE HE HE HE HE
emil.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Reading this bullshit makes me feel good about my decision not to play Fallout 3.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I want to see a photoshop of Emil dressed up like Santa before page 2 stat.

Lothers

Scholar
Have you heard about that new Jim Carey movie? It's titled "Dumb, Dumber & Emil"... and it's really stupid.

mondblut

Arcane
Is there an FMV sequence of a specific character going into purifier? Then I sorta understand where he is coming from. Making a separate FMV for every possible NPC = damn fucking lots of cash.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
DarkUnderlord said:
Some of those questions seem a bit daft too.

Behemoth said:
Why is there only one Behemoth in the main storyline?
YEH BECUZ 2 GIYANT MONSTARS WUD B AWSUM

I was shocked when you were heading to the end they didn't have a behemoth bust out and have the retarded giant robot fight the slightly more retarded behemoth.

Virtz

Educated
mondblut said:
Is there an FMV sequence of a specific character going into purifier? Then I sorta understand where he is coming from. Making a separate FMV for every possible NPC = damn fucking lots of cash.
No, there's not. It's a crappy in-game animation and I can't see how making the character walk in, use the console and just stand there would require great skill considering the animations are already there.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Emil Fagliarulo said:
So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it, because the trade-off is, well, you get these cool followers to join you.

This speaks all.

baby arm said:
Posting photos of developers as a way to make fun of them is fairly pathetic, especially considering what this lot looks like.

Are all those real? And why was Todd Howard left in the pic?

mondblut said:

No. It's all storyboard bullshit in a retarded attempt to make it seem like the original Fallouts. Also, if you let Lyons do the deed, they basically call you a pussy to your face.

edit- Just saw Virtz's post.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Fallout 3 paints a huge, bleak portrait of our nation's capital,

Since when was Washington D.C the capital of Australia. I really hate how Americans assume that the interent is simply an extension of the USA. I even saw on one forum a person complaining about "foreigners" on the forum. What foreigners? Foreigners to the internet? Jesus.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Emil Fagliarulo said:
So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it, because the trade-off is, well, you get these cool followers to join you.
Oh, Emil. This might not be so bad if you didn't let the gameplay break down, too.

Hümmelgümpf said:
Translation: "We are dumb and lazy."
Fixed.

HanoverF said:
I was shocked when you were heading to the end they didn't have a behemoth bust out and have the retarded giant robot fight the slightly more retarded behemoth.
Mutant vs Robot!

hiver

So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it,

AHAHAHhahahahaHAHAHAHhahahahHAHAHAHAHAHA.

what a dumbass.
jesus fucking christ...

Anyway, reading that interview just seems to reinforce the view that Fallout 3 isn't worth picking up for me.
What? You mean to say that you need any kind of reinforcement still?

Dabrinko

Educated
It seems like they NEVAH can admit that they did wrong. That everything they do is AWSUM and KEWL.

Can't they just...about one little thing...say:

"Sorry, we fucked up on that one."

mondblut

Arcane
Virtz said:
No, there's not. It's a crappy in-game animation and I can't see how making the character walk in, use the console and just stand there would require great skill considering the animations are already there.

Then my approximation is about 3-4 workdays for a single writer, a single scripter and a single animator for all 8 or so followers, no more. And they dare calling it "gameplay trumps over story"? :facepalm: A classic case of Teh Drama trumping over gameplay if I ever seen any. Sending a radiation-immune person into a deadly radiactive area in culmination, that's soooo anticlimactic and un-epic! Let's go the Aeris' Death way instead!

So much for introducing radiation-immune followers in the first place. "Gameplay" my ass.

oldschool

Scholar
Lingwe said:
Fallout 3 paints a huge, bleak portrait of our nation's capital,

Since when was Washington D.C the capital of Australia. I really hate how Americans assume that the interent is simply an extension of the USA. I even saw on one forum a person complaining about "foreigners" on the forum. What foreigners? Foreigners to the internet? Jesus.

What is this "Australia" you speak of?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom