Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial But Mom, All the Kids are doing Fallout 3...

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.crispygamer.com/features/2009-01-06/critic-in-exile-is-it-ok-to-finally-admit-that-i-didnt-really-like-fallout-3-all-that-much.aspx" target="blank">Crispy Gamer's Scott Jones has a terrible secret to share.</a>
<br>
<blockquote>Since Fallout 3 shipped in October, I've kept my secret, fearing that should it get out, the rest of the gaming community, including the considerable Fallout fan base, would grab their pitchforks and light their torches and chase me into the old windmill. When it came time to cast my vote for Game of the Year a few weeks back, I spent a series of antacid-infused days wrestling with whether or not I had the stuff to go against the grain, to stand up to pitchfork- and fire-wielders, and be true to my heart. Mostly I wondered if I'd forsake the little credibility I have in this business by picking something other than Fallout 3.
<br>
<br>
So what did I do? Weak fool that I am, I voted for Fallout 3 as GotY, wondering as I did so whether or not I'd be able to look myself in the mirror the next morning.</blockquote>
<br>
Note to parents: if your child has a vagina, don't name it Scott.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://flashofsteel.com/">Flash of Steel</A>

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, at least we didn't have to wait for the next Bethesda game before journalists start to admit it's not teh purfect.

KurtH

Liturgist
That article is wrong in so many different ways.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I spent a series of antacid-infused days wrestling with whether or not I had the stuff to go against the grain, to stand up to pitchfork- and fire-wielders, and be true to my heart.
It seems we've been promoted from a small and crazy minority to the hordes of Sauron.

Problem is, he's hating it for all the wrong reasons. He thinks that it is too deep and complicated, and needs to be some sort of simplified game like BioShit.

Longshanks

Augur
I think he had it right the first time. He should just follow the opinions of others without compunction, no matter how wrong, he's clearly demonstrated insufficient brain activity for individual thought.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Scott Jones is now officially the most ridiculous and embarassing game critic I know.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
By the way, just in case it threw anyone off:

When Jones says that he feared the wrath of Fallout fans,

he fears their wrath if he gave Fallout 3 a bad review.

He's not really aware of Fallout 3 controversy, it seems, so the man's idea about the whole thing is completely upside down. :P

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Up next on the Codex, more poor reviews of FO3."

Can we have something more interesting such as funny and or amusing clips/MVs of FO3?

Risine

Liturgist
Don't really understand!!! I first thought he liked the game, but it seems to be the contrary.
But he voted for it as Goty ?!???!!

F3 is an old-school hardcore RPG ????? :cry:

Disconnected

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
It seems we've been promoted from a small and crazy minority to the hordes of Sauron.
I think he's talking about the TES:Fallout fans, not us. But really, who knows.

Glittering gems of confusion.

Lingwe

Liturgist
And I found myself, from the start, overwhelmed by my own inventory. (Should I take the Fire Ant meat with me, or leave it behind? Questions, questions.) I found myself vexed by those weird lobster bugs underground. And I found the choices I was constantly making in the game to be largely arbitrary. Which Tag Skills do I focus on? Which Perks? Which Special Stats? Ten hours probably isn't enough time to see tangible effects in stat-boosting. But after 10 hours of carefully making these choices, shouldn't I get something -- anything -- in return?

Games these days are so complicated huh?

And when my tastes don't run with the rest of the industry, I feel a weird insecurity creep in. Am I right? Wrong? What right do I have to write about games? Who do I think I am? What was I thinking wearing this shirt today? Etc. So the story isn't so much about whether or not Fallout 3 was good for this reason or bad for that reason; but rather about the choices I make as a critic, and why I make them.

The Gaming Media: A Lesson in Groupthink

spectre

Arcane
fearing that should it get out, the rest of the gaming community, including the considerable Fallout fan base, would grab their pitchforks and light their torches and chase me into the old windmill.

All this trouble... why does he think we would care?

Wait, lulz, he meant the other fallout fanbase.

I read most of this "thing", and wow. It satisfied my daily demand for fail.

garren

Arcane
Patron
319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Monolith

Prophet
That guy's a retard. Even if he had written an honest review we'd still have bashed it for being idiotic. Best thing is how he's criticizing Bethesda for the misleading ads and tells everybody and his boss not to buy it and then still votes for F3 to be GOTY - basically encouraging everybody to buy it and Bethesda to do it again.

Now, I can imagine the next E3 when all these tools sit together, staring at each other in utter disbelieve mumbling "What, you too??". Fucking priceless.

baby arm said:
Note to parents: if your child has a vagina, don't name it Scott.
Almost spilled my coffee :lol:

cares

Novice
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Problem is, he's hating it for all the wrong reasons.

There is no wrong, when hating on a Bethesda product...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
So, I'm working on a Fallout 3 review... Should I finish it and post it somewhere or have you guys had enough of F3 already?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom