Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout 3 is an exceptionally immersive and enjoyable game.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.wargamer.com/article/2640/fallout-3">According to the WarGamer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Those three scenes all occurred in one two hour session of play with Bethesda-Softworks’ newest release, Fallout 3 . To say that this iteration of Fallout 3 was both highly anticipated and highly reviled would be an understatement. I am going to check any baggage I have with Bethesda at the door. And as a gamer, if you’ve read this far into the review maybe you have done the same.</blockquote>
<br>
That's the fourth two sentence paragraph. I guess he doesn't expect many people to read that far?
<br>
<blockquote>I have now invested about 25 hours of gameplay into Fallout 3, and I am glad to report that it is a remarkable game experience both in story telling and action. The game is an RPG through and through, presenting a great amount of choice to the player as well as a generous portion of action, and tells an engaging story. Fallout 3 should not be played as a first-person shooter however…although the game can be explored from either first- or third-person perspectives, to me it just didn’t feel right using third person for more than just checking out the new armor I acquired, and marveling at how bad-ass I looked. Fallout 3 is a game to be savored, radioactive morsel by radioactive morsel.</blockquote>
<br>
He doesn't seem to actually mention what baggage he was talking about.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">I went somewhere else today</a>

Angthoron

Arcane
Does make me wonder how it's supposed to be played if it shouldn't be done in neither the FPS nor the TPS mode though.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Angthoron said:
Does make me wonder how it's supposed to be played if it shouldn't be done in neither the FPS nor the TPS mode though.

That's the point. Bethesda is getting close to a game that plays for itself so we can have more free time for outdoor activities.

Angthoron

Arcane
racofer said:
That's the point. Bethesda is getting close to a game that plays for itself so we can have more free time for outdoor activities.

No wonder the Codex is in an uproar.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
racofer said:

Will it then make a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that makes a game within itself that plays for itself that then eats spam from a can and then rips a hole in space/time and annihilates the universe?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Re: Fallout 3 is an exceptionally immersive and enjoyable ga

DarkUnderlord said:
That's the fourth two sentence paragraph. I guess he doesn't expect many people to read that far?
Maybe it gives him room to completely turn around and change his opinion later on. Then nobody can accuse him of contradicting himself, because he never praised the game in the first place, hehe. Like that other guy, who gave Fallout 3 GotY "to appease Fallout fans" (though obviously we don't have any idea which Fallout fans he is talking about), and then wrote an entire article saying that he did not like it.

Reminds me of Gamespy, whose staff gave infinite praise to Morrowind, only to later put in on the list of Most Overrated Games Of All Time.

Amusing people, that they can't take a clear stand in the first moment and stick to it. Almost like they want to only act contrarian to uplift themselves above the eventual popularity of the game, or something.

hiver

Like that other guy, who gave Fallout 3 GotY "to appease Fallout fans" (though obviously we don't have any idea which Fallout fans he is talking about), and then wrote an entire article saying that he did not like it.
Then you didnt get to the best part of that.
He didnt like it because it was too hard-core for him.
It had too much dialogue and choices and stats and checks for him.

Speechless huh? You feel like your brain is dying right now, right? Yeah i know... i know. It will pass, just try not to think about it too much.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hiver said:
Speechless huh? You feel like your brain is dying right now, right? Yeah i know... i know. It will pass, just try not to think about it too much.

Not thinking is definitely the wrong solution.

hiver

Some things are so idiotic that its actually the best choice since their stupidity is like some weird viral meme that can actually damage your brain.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, this is most disappointing.
A friend of mine that has somewhat so-so taste in video games (mostly he listens to me on what to buy then makes his own opinions of it later).
Anyway, he could only play the game once. Then after conversing with me for a few days about the flaws of the game and the amount of missed opportunities for cool stuff, AND the stupidity of some NPCs, locations, and quests, as well as the main quest, he has decided that FO3 is truly a bad game. He says the best thing to come out of the box is the Bobblehead, and that thing's legs were broken on delivery. He had to fix them.
Anyway, I feel the same about the game overall.
I dont know how people can say the game is even fun. I played my friend's copy for a bit: repetitive, uninteresting quests, REALLY REALLY BAD FPS combat, stats that do absolutely nothing for your character, absence of towns save for shitty megaton, etc, etc. The list goes on and on really, but fuck, c'mon, FO3 is a game to be savored?
SAVORED? Does he even know what that word means? Perhaps he enjoys eating shit sandwiches, blood ocean style?
I mean what the hell? What is wrong with some people? Do they not understand a bad game, like a Legitimately bad game, is to be shit on rather than savored? Can they no longer tell the difference between a good one and a bad one?
I can understand if these people have been bought off. I mean shit, we all have to pay the bills. But this actually sounds like they think this way. Well, fuck them.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
@Blackhart
You know, thinking about whether it is really true if only a casual would enjoy Bethesda's recent games -

my cousin is a pretty casual gamer, and when he was playing the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion, he must have hated it far more than I did. There was a certain look of disgust when he did the very anticlimatic bossfight at the end.

I, personally, as a more regular gamer, am probably more inclined to try very hard to enjoy whatever game I find. Which is why, while playing Oblivion, I managed to derive some bare enjoyment from wandering into random caves and tombs, and killing enemies there, apart from the somewhat decent Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests. But that enjoyment extends only as far as 25 hours at most.

But anyway, the actual truth of it all is that a casual gamer might just actually be less inclined to enjoy a game where you have to make little effort and can still win easily. The big support for Bethesda's games - it seems to actually come from the core gaming community. I just try to understand why - perhaps they play games so much, that when there is less of a game in a game i.e. less challenge, that is exactly what they are looking for?

When some of us criticize a game for handholding and making things too easy - we actually are not trying to nitpick. On the contrary, we are being more realistic, down-to-earth, and blunt about things that are just not fun.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Another tame wargamer review. These middle age gamer sites never have the balls to slate games .. everyone says it's what them kids like it must be good eh.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"friend of mine that has somewhat so-so taste in video games (mostly he listens to me on what to buy then makes his own opinions of it later).
Anyway, he could only play the game once. Then after conversing with me for a few days about the flaws of the game and the amount of missed opportunities for cool stuff, AND the stupidity of some NPCs, locations, and quests, as well as the main quest, he has decided that FO3 is truly a bad game. He says the best thing to come out of the box is the Bobblehead, and that thing's legs were broken on delivery. He had to fix them."

He's a weak moron who needs someone else to make his decisions for him. He should be able tod ecide whether or not he likes a game and not like anyone influence his decision. He apparantly liked the game enough to finish it, and only started disliking it because YOU told him too. What a pathetic tool.

He's no better than someone who gets taken in by hype (which he was too, lol).

Disgusting piece of fuckin' shit.

Volourn said:
He apparantly liked the game enough to finish it
How I envy him... He was actually enjoying something. Until a codexer came along.
Sometimes, I think it'd be best if the intelligent populace had just died off and made the world a better place. A world filled with morons, but, at least, they'd be happy morons...

St. Toxic

Arcane
Sagus said:
I think it'd be best if the intelligent populace had just died off and made the world a better place. A world filled with morons, but, at least, they'd be happy morons...

I think it'd be best if the morons had just died off and made the world a better place. A world filled with nothing but intelligent people, but, at least, they'd be happy...

St. Toxic said:
A world filled with nothing but intelligent people, but, at least, they'd be happy...
I don't believe in happy intelligent people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom