Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Todd Howard on the 3 biggest complaints of Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/01/26/bethesda-on-fallout3-criticisms/">MTV Player scrounged a few words out of Todd Howard</a> on Fallout 3's biggest criticisms:
<br>
<blockquote>[...] we lined up three common criticisms gamers have leveled against his post-apocalyptic RPG to find out if he agreed with them.
<br>
<br>
<b>Criticism: #1: “Fallout 3&#8243; is just mediocre when judged as a first person shooter</b>.
<br>
Howard: Agreed.
<br>
<br>
<b>Criticism #2: The ending isn’t very satisfying and much shorter than other “Fallout” endings</b>.
<br>
Howard: Based on the feedback I’ve seen, most people are pissed off that it ends, not the ‘ending’ itself.
<br>
<br>
<b>Criticism #3: V.A.T.S. is boring once you’re accurate enough to head shot everyone</b>.
<br>
Howard: Depends on what you find entertaining. I like to blow people’s heads off, so, well, it never got old for me.</blockquote>
<br>
This never gets old for me either.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Santander02</b>!

Jason

chasing a bee
Not sure what feedback Howard's been seeing, but the ending just flat-out sucks donkey balls. That's an indisputable fact proven by modern science and the teachings of most major religions.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Criticism from the console crowd:

1. It's a crappy shooter.

2. Not enough cinematic cutscene action at the end.

3. Your half-assed, over-the-top RTwP implementation interrupted the flow of combat.

I predict that Fallout 4 will "fix" these horrible atrocities. Much in the same way that Oblivion fixed the essential problems with Morrowind.

Tardvapor

Novice
Those complaints are legitimate for anyone who played it.

It's not nearly as good of an RPG as Fallout was, it's not as good of shooter as fucking quake was, and it's not as good of a shooter / RPG hybrid as Deus Ex was. Failing on all fronts to up the ante on games made over a decade ago.

The ending is fucking stupid, put on your helmet! Or have your mutie go in there!

Not to mention you can purify water with dirt.

And I was bored with vats before I left the vault.

Bethesda's games are limited by the fact they think they are an RPG studio. Fallout 3 would have been a better game if they had gotten rid of all the stats and made a straight up shooter with some dialogue. Since the have the right to rape the fallout license in any way they see fit, I do hope Fallout 4 ditches the weak attempts at being an RPG and caters entirely to the console crowd. There would at least be a chance of it being a decent game then.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
baby arm said:
Not sure what feedback Howard's been seeing, but the ending just flat-out sucks donkey balls. That's an indisputable fact proven by modern science and the teachings of most major religions.

The ending?

Try the entire main plot.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Brother None said:
baby arm said:
The ending?

Try the entire main plot.
The entire main plot?

Try the whole game.

Disclaimer: Have not played game, am just continuing meme.

keppj0nes

Educated
The game was so cartoony - I was 50 times more scared in the labs of STALKER than I ever was playing Fallout 3. No suspension of disbelief was possible

Shoelip

Arbiter
Sometimes I wonder whether Todd would be the kind of guy you'd like to have a beer with.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Somehow Todd reminds me of that Ghost from Spielberg's "Portergeist".

"It says thing only a child can understand(...)to here it simple is another child, to us it is the beast."

Shannow

Waster of Time
WhiskeyWolf said:

"It says things only a child can understand(...)it believes it is simply another child, to us it is the beast."
Fixed? I'm just trying to understand what the quote was supposed to mean ;)

we lined up three common criticisms gamers have leveled [against FO3]
Howard: Depends on what you find entertaining. I like to blow people’s heads off, so, well, it never got old for me.

Well, at least he claims not to be catering to the target demographic but developing games that he likes...

Pliskin

Arbiter
I'm suprised he agreed to #1.

But then, his defense prolly is: "But it's a ArrPeeGee, not a shooter!"

Dumfuck.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
[url=http://www.bash.org/?top:3vvzc7fa]Bash.org[/url] said:
<hitler> HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU TELL THAT I'M 13 BY LOOKING AT WHAT I'M WRITEING?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Comprehensive comment? Me? Get real.

P.S Well sorry for assuming all of you morons have seen the movie.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's funny to see how Howard basically says "fuck you, you dumb retards" to his target audience - but they deserve it because they will still buy Bethesda games.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
WhiskeyWolf said:

"It says thing only a child can understand(...)to here it simple is another child, to us it is the beast."

Ya, it was spielberg's most underrated film ever. :che:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom