Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A peek at Eschalon: Book II at RPG Vault

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Eschalon: Book II

<a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/952/952707p1.html">Here</a>'s RPG Vault's second peek at Basilisk Games' sequel to Eschalon: Book I, a good example of what "multiplatform" should mean when it comes to RPGs. Here's the most important bit of the rather short text:<blockquote>There are various enhancements to the gameplay as well. For starters, the upper level limit of character development has been raised to 30, allowing for deeper builds and a greater range of customization than before. Two new skills have been added (Repair and Foraging) bringing the total number in Book II to 26. In addition, the existing set has been rebalanced, making many of the original ones more functional, and therefore more useful. Since the Eschalon series is skill-based, any class can experiment with any choice without limitations; however new in-game Challenges will reward players who utilize those aligned with specific classes, archetypes or goals.
<br>
<br>
The arcane arts of Magick and Alchemy have been updated for Book II as well. The total number of available spells has expanded to 45, with new possibilities like Milo's Cell of Holding (entrap a group of enemies within an energy field) and Draw Water (pull humidity from the air to fill your Water Skins) joining revamped ones such as Dense Nimbus (formally Air Shield). For would-be alchemists, the addition of new reagents to the game means a larger range of potions can be crafted, not to mention fresh imbuing mixtures that can applied to weapons and armor, improving their abilities.</blockquote>Also, there will be some really welcome interface improvements, like key rings and auto-stacking inventory. Click <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/952/952707p1.html">here</a> to enjoy the 3 new screenshots.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Andhaira

Arcane
Can't wait! I just hope they give us much more points at char gen, since Esch 1 really skimped in that regard!

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sadly the combat system is still "one turn-one move"... No AP...

With real tactical combat Eschalon would be an instant classic in my opinion.

Andhaira

Arcane
I agree with Esper. Making a party at char gen would also really elevate this game, especially as there is curerntly a niche in the market for party based games (i.e. parties that you generate at startup)

The challenges sound sweet, though I wish they provieded some minor bonus or coolpower or something if you adhered to them. For example adhering to teh mage challenge would grant you access to certain powerful mage only spells; adhering to teh ranger challenge gives you an animal companion, adhering to teh warrior challenge gives you fater health regen, etc.

sheek

Arbiter
What niche? Jeff Vogel already fills the party niche in Indie RPGs which is all the competition Basilisk Games has (for now anyway).

Saxon1974

Prophet
Cant wait for this one.

As for combat, there won't be action points but they are adding some things to make it more strategic. I dont recall the list but there are things like shield bash and defensive attack, aggresive attack that will work differently on different enemies....

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The first one was just OK, not much to hang in the Christmas tree as the (strange) Swedish proverb goes. Combat was lacking and the plot and quests weren't exactly stellar. Nice effort from a very small team though and certainly worth playing. Hopefully, they'll do better this time around. I just wish they had gone for AP based TB combat instead.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The primitive combat is its biggest flaw - it is the only thing that really stops me from playing the game. Considering that the game is combat-oriented.

sheek

Arbiter
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

What combat in RPGs do you like?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom