Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Just who the Hell is Chris Avellone?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Chris Avellone

<a href="http://www.starwarsknights.com/fullstory.php?id=641">Starwarsknights.com claim to have a rather in-depth about Chris Avellone</a>. Here's a slice from Part 1 (Part 2 and 3 yet to come - I hate when they do that):
<br>
<blockquote>After probably getting sick to death of my hangdog expression, mounting depression, and the packs of razor blades I would go through lightly dragging each razor across my wrist, Feargus Urquhart decided to break me out of my funk and let me know Torment made a profit, just not nearly as much as Baldur's Gate (the first part was a surprise, the second part wasn’t – Baldur’s Gate sold a lot of units, it’d be hard to top).
<br>
[...]
<br>
The Force has always bugged me from the sense of pre-destination, and I thought trying to make a sympathetic Sith Lord would be challenging, so I went ahead and did it (I don’t think I succeeded, but I enjoyed the challenge).
<br>
[...]
<br>
Also, I think there's a lot of debate to be had on the aspects of following the Light Side vs. The Dark Side, and the general precedent of "following" the Force in the first place. It probably has to due with my unresolved irritation with religion and zealots.</blockquote>
<br>
Torment made a profit?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Fat Dragon</b>!
<br>

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Torment made a good profit.

It just made a bad profit margin. By the standards of a mainstream game at that.

400,000 copies in the first week is a good figure. Just because it was not Baldur's Gate level of success does not mean it was a failure.

Consider too that Baldur's Gate 2 took much longer to make, and was a more expensive game.

Torment is not the financial failure that you guys make it out to be.

A financial failure is Wizardry 8.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Torment made a good profit.

It just made a bad profit margin. By the standards of a mainstream game at that.

400,000 copies in the first week is a good figure. Just because it was not Baldur's Gate level of success does not mean it was a failure.

Consider too that Baldur's Gate 2 took much longer to make, and was a more expensive game.

Torment is not the financial failure that you guys make it out to be.

A financial failure is Wizardry 8.

Wizardry 8 wasn't a financial failure because Sir-tech closed doors before it even was published.

kingcomrade said:
Torment made a profit?
Heresy

My god my world is ruined a RPG sold successfully non-mainstream games don't sell!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
His point about why Kreia wasn't as awaesome as some claim is dead on. She's an alright character but nowhere enar the best.

Not surprising to me that PST made a profit. I always figured it did. Afterall, it didn't have a nice tie in with the BGs. That's gotta boost sales a bit. Plus, the D&D logo, Interplay was not some unknown company, etc., etc.

Deleted Member 10432

Part II looks to be into the meat of the interview, and MCA's ideas right now.

...some sequences in the game that say more with silence and facial expression than any text or voice actor could...

People play games to interact with them, not to watch them... If a storyline is presented as a non-interactive cut scene... they just come across as hurdles or eye-candy

Thrasher

Erudite
Choices and Cosequences integrated with story. perfect.

If they only bothered to have significant branching story / quest lines to go along with it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, yeah, it's a James Bond inspired spy game. Of course they'll be romance.
Presumably a different girl in each level.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Xor said:
Well, yeah, it's a James Bond inspired spy game. Of course they'll be romance.
Presumably a different girl in each level.
Somehow, I feel they're going to lampoon the everliving shit out of the usual romances.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Xor said:
Well, yeah, it's a James Bond inspired spy game.

I thought it was inspired by those boring as fuck Bourne films. I hate the fact the main character has that Matt Damon faggoty look about him. Also, Romances = fail.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Lyric Suite said:
I hate the fact the main character has that Matt Damon faggoty look about him.

I'd say I find some other resemblance.

ap1.jpg

81.gif

Pastel

Scholar
Warden said:
kingcomrade said:
Torment made a profit?
Heresy

Yeah, Merilinda bought it 350 000 times - she tried to mod in a female character as the PC, and after failing and completely destroying the game engine/code 350 000 times she gave up.
You know, this is a very poor joke.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor said:

How come both Shepard and the terrorist are using the same canceled, experimental XM8 rifle? I guess a secret agent could get hold of a prototype gun, but some random terrorist?

This is like the bandits in Oblivion with daedric armor! Who wants to bet your opponents weapons are scaled to your level? When you're level 1 the enemies will all carry worn-out AK47s, and that's also the only thing the armory back at Spy HQ will have in stock.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ak 47
s are the katanas of guns doode. Way better than experimental weapons.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Lyric Suite said:

ap1.jpg

Why the fuck is he sneaking when terrorist is going to hit him in the head - it isn't even a corner to hind behind - it is an open space.
Obsidian sucks at making screenshots (not mentioning that terrorist's gun is flying in the air between his hands)

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
Darth Roxor said:
Lyric Suite said:

ap1.jpg

Why the fuck is he sneaking when terrorist is going to hit him in the head - it isn't even a corner to hind behind - it is an open space.
Obsidian sucks at making screenshots (not mentioning that terrorist's gun is flying in the air between his hands)
It's pretty obvious he's getting ready to disarm that guy with some fancy martial arts. Unarmed is a skill in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom